Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2020, 10:40 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times

Advertisements

Perhaps people in cities should be able to vote for the police chief, rather than have one appointed by the mayor. No different than the election of a sheriff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2020, 10:41 AM

7,908 posts, read 3,450,203 times
So we'll all hire our own private security? Can I have a list of all the people who can't afford to hire their own security? I think we could all have some fun with those folks.

Old 06-05-2020, 10:43 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Perhaps people in cities should be able to vote for the police chief, rather than have one appointed by the mayor. No different than the election of a sheriff.

That's not a bad idea! Our local sheriff is elected. Why not in the city as well.

Old 06-05-2020, 10:47 AM

8,679 posts, read 11,069,654 times
Few bad police seeds doesn’t make them all bad. There are a lot of good and hard working officers out there

If what you propose goes through, then I want my tax to be reduced drastically so I can buy an Arsenal of guns against the scum. If everyone did that, it would be far more uglier.

Old 06-05-2020, 10:49 AM

14,215 posts, read 4,586,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
That's not a bad idea! Our local sheriff is elected. Why not in the city as well.
Elect a city police chief? What is that going to do when the chief's boss is the mayor? It's like elect Secretary of Defense when the POTUS is SOD's boss

Old 06-05-2020, 10:53 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
Oh lordy, where do you start with this mentality? You think all police forces are the same? One size fits all? You think all police officers are the same? One size fits all again? You think private security would be any different? One size fits all? People are people in all professions. Some are brilliant at their jobs, some are not. Training is the key, not switching out people.

Old 06-05-2020, 11:04 AM

4,795 posts, read 2,797,347 times
Default Let justice be done upon them

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
There is more accountability if it's private. If you don't like your private security, you fire your private security. That's accountability. It is clear police aren't accountable now. Love or hate the police. We can all agree that they're certainly not held to the same standards as the average citizen. And that's anything but accountable.
Look @ the stats for privatized prisons. Healthcare, food, nutrition, exercise, escapes, violence inside the prisons, suicide rates, rates of sickness/death due to poor or shoddy or nonexistent health care, turnover of prison personnel, poor personnel training, personnel shortages, lack of libraries, of nurses on site, poor financial performance, sweetheart deals between the operators & whoever lets the contracts @ the state/federal level. Poor preparation for return to civilian life, poor work training.

It's a nightmare for all concerned, & you want more of this mess?

& what accountability measures are we talking about? These prisons typically only answer to the state or federal Bureau of Prisons, & to no one else.

Old 06-05-2020, 11:09 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,407,433 times
No thanks. I am not a politician, I like the police, things are just fine as they are.

I rather concentrate on changing the criminal culture many in the US have.

Old 06-05-2020, 11:15 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times
Quote:
If the police were a business, it would be many times out of business. With growing disapproval of police, and their inability to effectively do anything right. It's about time we come to terms with the reality that police are just a waste of everyone's money. The only people who like police are politicians. Because police are foot soldiers that help politicians carry out their stupid laws. A police officer is the heartbeat to a flunk politician. And if you're wondering what politicans are flunkies? Just look at anyone who holds office. Chances are they're flunkies in some way, because nobody who has anything useful to contribute to society becomes a politician.

I propose that we privatize all police services. We abolish the police force completely, and citizens will keep more of their tax money. People can pay for private security, and this will create a striving market. Private security can completely replace the police force. And there is no need for law enforcement, because no laws should exist outside of natural laws. One will have to question the morality of taxes, but I think people who don't want to pay taxes shouldn't. And people who want to pay taxes, they can go ahead. Without police, there is no one to round you up and send you to jail for not paying them.

I think it's time that we left this matter in the hands of the free market. Which has always seemed to make thing better for the common man. This is the only way to get rid of the social unrest we see before us. Police reform is a waste of time. It'll work for a little while to calm down the peasants, then eventually it'll just be business as usual. So its about time, we vote with our wallet, and move to privatize the police force.
That sounds like a really brainy idea.

So only the wealthy will have police-related services. The general public will have none. So we can all just arm ourselves to the teeth and take law enforcement into our own hands. That will make the next round of social unrest so much better!

Old 06-05-2020, 11:16 AM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Actually it should be. People who are taking the time to protect you should be properly compensated. No one owe you their time. If you want protection, you should pay for it.
Christ, do we need to explain the difference between employee compensation and profit? For someone espousing business principles, you sure seem to have a loose grasp of the fundamentals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies