Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2020, 08:47 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times

Advertisements

First, let me say that what happened to George Floyd was wrong, and I'm glad he and the other 3 cops with him have been arrested. Yet, the person that George Floyd was is hardly someone most of the country can relate to. Violent criminal. Meth head. Yet he is the name BLM chant as if he's some kind of hero. Michael Brown? The violent thug that was on video the very day of his death assaulting and robbing a store owner in his own neighborhood? The one that evidence and witnesses prove he was attacking the cop and trying to take his gun? Yet the BLM demonstrators still play the idiotic "hands up, don't shoot" lie that was popularized a few years ago. They look like fools.

What about Philando Castile? A law abiding person. Concealed carry permit holder, meaning he had passed federal background checks. Executed in his own car by an overzealous, hyped up rookie cop that should never have had a badge. I never hear his name spoken at these protests, but could possibly stand with them if they did (not that I'm much into like looking like some foolish little cheerleader). Or Bryana Taylor. An EMT (possibly paramedic, don't recall). Gunned down in her own house, because law enforcement relied on another asinine "no knock" raid to break down their door in the middle of the night-on the word of a criminal trying to make a deal for a more lenient sentence. No-knock needs to go away throughout this country. What is wrong with acting like civilized human beings and knocking on the door? Most decent people can and would get behind this. The pro-gun movement already does-any gun owner can relate to these people. One thing government fears is unity among the citizens-bikers, pro-gun people, a legitimate black movement.

Don't get me wrong-the vast majority of LEOs are great people doing hard jobs. But the bad cops and bad mistakes need to be called out Just...pick some better human beings as your poster children-not violent thugs, if you want more widespread support.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 06-05-2020 at 09:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2020, 08:56 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,591,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
First, let me say that what happened to George Floyd was wrong, and I'm glad he and the other 3 cops with him have been arrested. Yet, the person that George Floyd was is hardly someone most of the country can relate to. Violent criminal. Meth head. Yet he is the name BLM chant as if he's some kind of hero. Michael Brown? The violent thug that was on video the very day of his death assaulting and robbing a store owner in his own neighborhood? The one that evidence and witnesses prove he was attacking the cop and trying to take his gun? Yet the BLM demonstrators still play the idiotic "hands up, don't shoot" lie that was popularized a few years ago.

What about Philando Castile? A law abiding person. Concealed carry permit holder, meaning he had passed federal background checks. Executed in his own car by an overzealous, hyped up rookie cop that should never have had a badge. I never hear his name spoken at these protests, but could possibly stand with them if they did (not that I'm much like looking like some foolish little cheerleader). Or Bryana Taylor. An EMT (possibly paramedic, don't recall). Gunned down in her own house, because law enforcement relied on another asinine "no knock" raid to break down their door in the middle of the night-on the word of a criminal trying to make a deal for a more lenient sentence. No-knock needs to go away throughout this country. What is wrong with acting like civilized human beings and knocking on the door?

Don't get me wrong-the vast majority of LEOs are great people doing hard jobs. But the bad cops and bad mistakes need to be called out Just...pick some better human beings as your poster children-not violent thugs, if you want more widespread support.

I'm pretty sure BLM isn't a real organization, with any real leadership or any real agenda. It's really just a catch all term and at best it's a hash tag. Similarly to "white supremacist groups". Who are essentially protestors with no real group association beyond talking points and hash tags.

From someone like me who 1) hates cops 2) doesn't identify with BLM. It is actually important that a criminal be presented. For a few reasons:

1) Because someone is a criminal or has a criminal past. This has no barring on whether or not it was justify to kill someone

2) We don't become WWII Germany. Germans had gotten quite complacent with the idea that rights were ok to be violated by people German's considered "unfit" and "unclean". And as a result it became a dictatorship because rights of people were continiously violated.

Tyranny happens when normal citizens tolerate violations of people's rights. This just gives the government more and more of an excuse to keep expanding itself. Before you know it you're a police state.

Always remember, no one wants to give their rights away. But they have no problem giving the rights of others they don't like away. If you want to be free, you have to be willing to defend the rights of people you may not personally like. Who may think politically different than you. And, yes, who may be an actual criminal. Because we can tolerate ANYONE's rights being violated. This is where you move your nation from a free society to a a police state.

Old 06-05-2020, 08:58 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I'm pretty sure BLM isn't a real organization, with any real leadership or any real agenda. It's really just a catch all term and at best it's a hash tag. Similarly to "white supremacist groups". Who are essentially protestors with no real group association beyond talking points and hash tags.

From someone like me who 1) hates cops 2) doesn't identify with BLM. It is actually important that a criminal be presented. For a few reasons:

1) Because someone is a criminal or has a criminal past. This has no barring on whether or not it was justify to kill someone

2) We don't become WWII Germany. Germans had gotten quite complacent with the idea that rights were ok to be violated by people German's considered "unfit" and "unclean". And as a result it became a dictatorship because rights of people were continiously violated.

Tyranny happens when normal citizens tolerate violations of people's rights. This just gives the government more and more of an excuse to keep expanding itself. Before you know it you're a police state.

Always remember, no one wants to give their rights away. But they have no problem giving the rights of others they don't like away. If you want to be free, you have to be willing to defend the rights of people you may not personally like. Who may think politically different than you. And, yes, who may be an actual criminal. Because we can tolerate ANYONE's rights being violated. This is where you move your nation from a free society to a a police state.
then who are all these companies forking their hundreds of millions of dollars over to?

Old 06-05-2020, 09:00 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,032,233 times
OK. George Floyd had a violent past. Did the cops even know who he was, when Chauvin shoved his knee into George Floyd's neck? Was he behaving violently, when he was trying to pass a fake 20 bill?

Old 06-05-2020, 09:03 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 29 days ago)

27,653 posts, read 16,142,781 times
I hate the victim mentality of the perpetually offended, but a real victims advocacy group perhaps branded "victims lives matter", with decent role models would be a much more unifying force for good.

Old 06-05-2020, 09:05 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,245,671 times
It is all about the narrative and the video of what happened to Floyd plays right into it. Even if Floyd was a pedophile that the cops just peeled off a child they have no right to be the judge jury and executioner.

The video of that sadistic (white) cop leaning on a (black) mans neck with such smug indifference until he was dead was a shock and the perfect catalyst to start the fires that are burning America. A Hollywood movie couldn't have enticed such raw emotion.

Many white people can almost justify the rough handling or even shooting of a suspect if that suspect is fighting back but with Floyd all we saw was him in handcuffs pleading for his life. It is a powerful image.

There is a problem with cops coming down hard on repeat criminals of all skin shades but when it comes to a black guy being the target of their brutality it really strikes the cord of white guilt. Floyd is the perfect poster man no matter what he did leading up to his death.

Old 06-05-2020, 09:07 AM

7,359 posts, read 4,142,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
OK. George Floyd had a violent past. Did the cops even know who he was, when Chauvin shoved his knee into George Floyd's neck? Was he behaving violently, when he was trying to pass a fake 20 bill?

I got stopped for a traffic violation and my name, drivers's license and car vin number was called in. Of course, the police would have called in and asked for his arrest history.

When store involved with the fake $20 bills called the police they said he was high.

Did he deserve to die on the street, no. Was he was a thug, yes.

The protests aren't about him. It's about destabilizing the country.

Old 06-05-2020, 09:09 AM

8,178 posts, read 6,929,698 times
Because I don't think they are the ones actually doing the "picking".

The ones "picked" are ones that they know will cause division, instead of unity. Can't have people actually uniting.

Old 06-05-2020, 09:12 AM

19,643 posts, read 12,235,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
That wasn't the topic question.

Seems there are better examples of people who were killed by police to put up as an example.

Old 06-05-2020, 09:16 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,091,461 times
Everything about "Black Lives Matter" is fake.

The very name "Black Lives Matter" is a lie, since black men kill other black men in America to the tune of thousands every year. Meanwhile, cops maybe kill a handful of black men each year, and yet America has bought into this most poisonous narrative that they are being hunted by police, not their fellow black brothers.

It's painfully laughable that we have to have that BLM false narrative shoved down our throat and not one soul in this once-decent nation doesn't call it out for the horrific and divisive lie that it truly is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies