Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Am I wrong if I think kneeling is wrong?
Yes, I as a white person should kneel and denounce white privilege if requested 4 8.33%
No, humans shouldn't kneel before other humans 44 91.67%
Unsure 0 0%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2020, 11:09 AM

10,177 posts, read 11,159,885 times

Advertisements

I'm a white female. I kneel before God. Ya's all can kiss my lily white A@@... White Privilege?? LMAO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2020, 11:16 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post

In April of 1865 the long and bloody Civil War was nearly over when Lincoln decided to visit the recently captured Confederate capital city still reeling in chaos. Lincoln was swarmed by slaves that had just been freed by the Union capture of the city. Many of them pressed in, wanted to touch him, many falling to their knees and trying to kiss his feet.

Lincoln responded:

Many of the freed people started to address him as master, Lincoln reiterated that no man can be the master of another man and begged the newly freed people to be on their feet. It took minutes for Lincoln to get the people to stop kneeling.

I am white and I have a white friend who posted on Facebook that if you refuse to kneel and denounce "white privilege" if asked to by Black Lives Matter it is in fact "racist" and "heartless." Many of my friends chimed in an agreement, far more than opposed. We are almost all 18 or 19 years of age on the Facebook thread (I haven't responded yet out of fear). The discussion started, because supposed there have been a few incidents where this has happened to random people on the sidewalk.

Is this, you must kneel and denounce white privilege upon request thing actually going to become a thing?

My religious values say that no human should kneel to another human, only kneel before God...similar to Lincoln's view. I have high anxiety and hope this doesn't become a mainstream thing where I will be decried as a racist if I don't want to kneel upon request to other humans for my religious beliefs.

I support all peaceful protests and will gladly participate in a peaceful demonstration (with social distancing due to pandemic reasons). I want to see an end to police brutality, but also recognize that police are mostly good people that sometimes work in very dangerous locations, which adds to their stress and decision making.

I want peace and safety for all, but I don't like where the politics is going. Kneeling before other humans is degrading, which is why you don't do it, it was wrong in 1865 and it is wrong today. I feel if I posted this on Facebook in reply I would ruin my good name and reputation....that I would be racist for saying no one should kneel, even though I want the peaceful protests.

Am I wrong for my feelings on not kneeling?
Time to get new friends and stand up for what is right.

Stand up for what is right and what you believe in and then tell them they are not worthy of your friendship since you don't support dictatorial means or hypocrites. Then tell them to F-off and go get some real friends.

Old 06-11-2020, 11:21 AM

6,220 posts, read 3,404,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
No, you shouldn't kneel. You should NEVER kneel in front of another person. I should know. I proposed to somebody once.

Great...I kneed five times and unfortunately I married all five. Regretted four of them or maybe we all regretted them saying yes.

Old 06-11-2020, 11:41 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,065,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post

Is this, you must kneel and denounce white privilege upon request thing actually going to become a thing?

My religious values say that no human should kneel to another human, only kneel before God...similar to Lincoln's view. I have high anxiety and hope this doesn't become a mainstream thing where I will be decried as a racist if I don't want to kneel upon request to other humans for my religious beliefs.

I support all peaceful protests and will gladly participate in a peaceful demonstration (with social distancing due to pandemic reasons). I want to see an end to police brutality, but also recognize that police are mostly good people that sometimes work in very dangerous locations, which adds to their stress and decision making.

I want peace and safety for all, but I don't like where the politics is going. Kneeling before other humans is degrading, which is why you don't do it, it was wrong in 1865 and it is wrong today. I feel if I posted this on Facebook in reply I would ruin my good name and reputation....that I would be racist for saying no one should kneel, even though I want the peaceful protests.

Am I wrong for my feelings on not kneeling?
You are not wrong.

But, I have a son about your age and I'm going to tell you what I told him.

Now is the time to move away from the peer pressure and social media pressure that dominates teen years and start thinking like an adult. To me that means exactly what you are doing here: taking events and putting them in an historical context, and prioritizing your core values over what all your friends are doing and thinking.

To do that requires a willingness to go against the grain. That takes fortitude, which isn't always available to 18 year olds. So feel free to ignore your social media for now.
You do not need to broadcast your opinion on social media. What you think about any particular topic is your business.

I've also told my son, and maybe it would help you, to think about how he has treated people in his daily life. Ending racism is about more than kneeling or holding up signs. What can actually change the world is how we interact with other people day after day after day, treating them with kindness and respect and compassion, because they are fellow humans experiencing their own lives and all that entails.

Old 06-11-2020, 11:49 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,065,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Your argument is comparing men kneeling to another man, in effect raising that man to higher position of power to kneeling as a symbolic gesture of support behind an idea.

You're comparing two things that are not comparable. The 2020 kneeling is not to honor one man. It's not to elevate someone to a position of worship. It's to show support for a shared goal, a goal of decency and respect for everyone.

If you want to compare kneeling to something, compare it to placing your hand over your heart when you look at the flag to show your support for whatever ideals you think it represents.
So would you be OK with black people kneeling to white people? I mean if the goal is to show "decency and respect for everyone," surely that goes both ways?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies