Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2020, 04:35 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,584,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
They released ALL of the arrested looters/rioters/arsonists WITHOUT CHARGES.
(So did St. Louis.)
Well that will teach them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2020, 04:44 PM

39,870 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Chicago is a big metro area. They could easily pull out of the lower income / more dangerous areas and still be "in Chicago." I think that's what the mayor was talking about.

The people in the low income areas need stores like Walmart the most. The cost of living goes up in those areas if Walmart leaves, and our poorest people can't afford any COL increases.
Perhaps the morons looting and rioting should have thought about that before destroying these neighborhoods and stores. And perhaps the citizens should have done as we did in Idaho-take up arms to ensure riots and looting do not happen. Evil thrives when good men do nothing. If the citizens aren't willing to protect their neighborhoods, why should businesses take a chance on them?

Old 06-06-2020, 05:03 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,654,062 times
It all comes down to bottom line. If they can still make decent profit even factoring in occasion looting/theft/arson, then they will stay. If not, they will leave. Nothing to do with politics of it. Its whether they can make the profit they want in such an environment.

Course you chase all business out of a neighborhood, guess what? You either have long bus ride to get groceries or you buy from very limited and high priced small markets that have bulletproof glass and other stuff that makes shopping painful. So the one time free tv and fancy sneakers end up costing whole lot long term.

Problem is whether black or white or rich or poor, few humans seem able to think beyond next Tuesday. Everything is inter connected. One action can have multiple repercussions, even an action centuries ago.

Old 06-06-2020, 05:15 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
You failed to understand.

Wal-Mart isn't leaving the Chicago-market, they are leaving the City of Chicago.

Learn and understand the difference.

It's an unfortunate fact of life that suburban Wal-Mart shoppers subsidize urban Wal-Mart stores by paying higher prices, just like suburban Kroger's shoppers pay higher prices to subsidize urban Kroger stores.

Why? Because urban stores have higher rates of theft and shrink.
A similar dynamic has happened in Baltimore. Target used to have two stores within the city limits. One was in Mondawmin, a lower class black area; the other was in Canton, a middle class white area. Guess which store was damaged during the 2015 riots? And guess which store faced declining year-over-year profitability until it was finally shut down?

Also, there are no Walmarts within the city limits, but several within maybe a mile or two of the city limits, and accessible by public transportation, in the surrounding suburbs.

Old 06-06-2020, 05:17 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,112,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICANRICAN View Post
https://wbbm780.radio.com/articles/m...bandon-chicago (Mayor Lightfoot said she was on a conference call with Walmart and other major retailers that had stores looted or heavily damaged during the unrest in Chicago. She said she pleaded with them to not abandon Chicago) ( My Op if was them i would leave she did nothing to protect them!!)
LOL @ anyone thinking Walmart was ever leaving Chicago?

Old 06-06-2020, 05:19 PM

5,955 posts, read 2,878,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICANRICAN View Post
https://wbbm780.radio.com/articles/m...bandon-chicago (Mayor Lightfoot said she was on a conference call with Walmart and other major retailers that had stores looted or heavily damaged during the unrest in Chicago. She said she pleaded with them to not abandon Chicago) ( My Op if was them i would leave she did nothing to protect them!!)
If they are smart ,They will get out of Dodge until there is a Republican mayor. That should be after the next Ice Age.

Old 06-06-2020, 05:23 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,546,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by self-made View Post
Hell yes I would leave were I them. Why? Cuz the Lib Lightfoot didn't take Trump up on his offer to send in the military to stop the destruction of property and looting. She did nothing but allow the savage thugs to destroy big and small businesses. It was preventable.

Liberals destroy everything they touch, everything.

Hey selfie, why don't you tell us how you really feel. Now, don't hold back!

Old 06-06-2020, 05:27 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,546,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Perhaps the morons looting and rioting should have thought about that before destroying these neighborhoods and stores. And perhaps the citizens should have done as we did in Idaho-take up arms to ensure riots and looting do not happen. Evil thrives when good men do nothing. If the citizens aren't willing to protect their neighborhoods, why should businesses take a chance on them?

I just hope there are plenty of people who feel as you and I do in my small town, where the "protest" will start in less than an hour. I wish I wasn't a tired elderly woman and was as strong as I was when I was 40.

Old 06-06-2020, 06:01 PM

30,371 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Actions have consequences.
BLM will impoverish hundreds of thousands of blacks due to their actions and result in the premature death of thousands of blacks....making them effectively a White Supremacy organization....congrats KKK!

Old 06-06-2020, 06:10 PM

1,417 posts, read 734,621 times
It is quite possible. For years ALDI was the only grocery store that operated in the bad areas of Chicago. And they had armed security guards inside. For a brief while I worked at the one of Western Avenue. The people were animals. On food stamp day or Saturday we turned over the entire store and often shut down by 2pm as we were out of everything.

What Lightfoot and all the other cowardly mayors did is signal to all future rioters that we will tolerate looting, beatings, and pillaging. Companies can easily pull out of those areas as they did in the past and let the poor do the 4 hours by and train trips to the stores like they did in the late 80s and 90s. If you think of it, it really does not cut into the retailers bottom line much as the folks will still travel to by their food, etc, they have to get it from somewhere. And moreover, that is what is appropriate. They neighborhoods should be punished for what they allowed to happen and participated in, and moreover did not oppose it. I personally hope these areas are not rebuilt as punishment. A lesson needs to be learned. Let families tell their children about how their use to be a grocery store, a Walmart, a Target here but then came Black Lives Matter and they destroyed all the progress that had been made in the last 30 years. Let the animals feed on each other, and they will.

I grew up in these areas. And let me tell things are a lot better than in the 70s and 80s. This whole BLM nonsense is pure B.S. This is all about rioting, looting and not taking accountability.

So let it go back to the old ways. Have entrepreneurial immigrants come into the area and sell the cheapest stuff they can pick up at the wholesale market and retail it in the poor communities for the highest price they can get. If people don't like it they can do the 4 hour commute to the decent communities. And they can place the blame on Lightfoot, Pritzker, Black Lives Matter, ANTIFA and the Democratic party where it belongs.

On last thing, you can leave ethnic ghetto any time you wish in this country, I did it, my siblings never did. There are no barriers, not a single one in this great nation except those found in the individual. My brothers were punks, my sisters whores. Their lives ended where they began because of choices they made not systemic racism.

Last edited by GhostOfAndrewJackson; 06-06-2020 at 06:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies