Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2020, 12:28 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times

Advertisements

So, not to get into some partisan BS, because I think both parties are idiotic as is the party system, however, fact is police departments are locally controlled.

It has been put out that the Minneapolis police, as well as several other cities police departments, have serious, systemic issues related to racism, brutality, etc.

Most of these, maybe all? Are located in Democratic controlled cities, cities that have been Democratic controlled for decades. Many of the police departments are also heavy in leadership by minorities, specifically blacks, and many of the brutality incidents have included black and other minority police officers, even the Floyd case includes a black and Asian (though I do think it is unfair to put blame on them being they were what, four days on the job?)

So my thoughts are why out of all of this, not only this but previous debates, is Trump, white supremacists, Republicans, Rush Limbaugh, etc, are getting the bulk of the blame for these issues, when in fact these issues are not exactly originating in such areas influence or controlled by such groups?

I mean if you have a systemic police problem in your city, systemic meaning it has been going on for a long time, then why you all keep voting in the same people, the same party, year after year, decades after decade? Then why do you go on to blame others who had zero means to exactly do anything about it compared to the people you all elected? And then turn around and be "angry" about the policies the people you voted for put in place, the lack of action by the people you voted for put in place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2020, 12:49 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
I mean if you have a systemic police problem in your city, systemic meaning it has been going on for a long time, then why you all keep voting in the same people, the same party, year after year, decades after decade?
I dont think the incident had anything to do with which party is in control (to say so is partisan BS, which you wanted to avoid, and then went all-in with it anyway), but you should ask yourself why Republicans are running so few metro areas in US. Why are the citizens of those places rejecting them?

I live in South Florida, and we actually have a Republican running Miami. Is Miami free of the issues other large cities face? Hell, no. Do we blame to Mayor? No, but if he was a Democrat, the Republicans WOULD blame him, because the blame-game is their favorite pass-time.

And yes, there is a curfew in Miami because of rioting, and people are forced to wear masks because of the virus. The beaches are still locked-down and restaurants have strict social-distancing measures. How to you explain this? Wasn't all that supposed to be a liberal conspiracy to hurt Trump? No true scotts-man?

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 06-06-2020 at 01:01 PM..

Old 06-06-2020, 12:55 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,784,951 times
A. There are plenty of wealthy Republican areas with militarized police forces and a histories of corruption and abuse; this isn’t exclusive to big cities.

B. Some Democratic cities have been more successful than other Democratic cities when it comes to reform. Apparently Trenton, New Jersey of all places has done a pretty good job.

Old 06-06-2020, 01:00 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,622,010 times
Like clockwork, anytime you put the microscope on the generations of failure by Democratic leadership, liberals come out in droves to deflect, diverge, and deny all responsibility.

Old 06-06-2020, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Like clockwork, anytime you put the microscope on the generations of failure by Democratic leadership, liberals come out in droves to deflect, diverge, and deny all responsibility.
I am not liberal, but why are you avoiding the points I made?

If a cop screws up, who does that boil down to failure by Democratic leadership? Miami cops are very capable of screwing up, but we don't automatically make it into a partisan issue. We make the cop pay for his/her mistake.

Old 06-06-2020, 01:06 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
80% of the US population lives in urban metro areas. Large cities have more of everything, good, bad and ugly.

For whatever reasons, Hooterville does not generate enough jobs to sustain anything but a relatively small population. Nearest hospital might be hours away. Some of the largest per capita poverty live in rural areas and is no stranger to government handouts.

Old 06-06-2020, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I dont think the incident had anything to do with which party is in control (to say so is partisan BS, which you wanted to avoid, and then went all-in with it anyway), but you should ask yourself why Republicans are running so few metro areas in US. Why are the citizens of those places rejecting them?
Why are the citizens of those places constantly complaining about their status in life? Those places are a constant source of protest and general social discord, yet they vote for the same people, same party, time after time.

And no, I did not go on a partisan rage, if we were talking about something happening in mostly Republican controlled areas, I would be on a rant about them as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I live in South Florida, and we actually have a Republican running Miami. Is Miami free of the issues other large cities face? Hell, no. Do we blame to Mayor? No, but if he was a Democrat, the Republicans WOULD blame him, because the blame-game is their favorite pass-time.
For the last 40 years Miami has been a mix of Republicans and Democrats, not even close to being dominated by one party. Even look at the last few presidential election, MN has been straight Democrat, while Florida has been a mix.

But fact is these people, the police problem, are occurring under Democratic controlled cities, which have been controlled for decades, yet the blame goes towards everyone but these Democrats and those who keep voting for them.

Old 06-06-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
A. There are plenty of wealthy Republican areas with militarized police forces and a histories of corruption and abuse; this isn’t exclusive to big cities.

B. Some Democratic cities have been more successful than other Democratic cities when it comes to reform. Apparently Trenton, New Jersey of all places has done a pretty good job.
My point was not about this is exclusive to Democratic controlled areas, my point is the bulk of the blame seems to be towards people who basically have zero to do with those cities. For Minneapolis, Trump, Republicans, etc, have not been in control of the city for decades, yet what do I see? Yes, the blame game, and even better, their own elected leaders jumping on the bandwagon even though they are the ones responsible for the city and its affairs.

Of course Republican areas and all areas have had or still have issues with police, corrupt police is part of US culture/history, entire western movie genre, Dukes of Hazard, modern action flicks, are influenced from this.

But when I see someone one one hand stating how their Democratic controlled city has police issues, yet on the other hand blaming Trump, Republicans, etc, it makes absolutely zero sense to me.

Old 06-06-2020, 01:13 PM

860 posts, read 321,723 times
This is what happens with most all democrat controlled cities. Minorities are always the worst off in their cities, we keep voting in the same local democrat leadership and somehow we are surprised things never change. Here is an idea my fellow POC, TRY VOTING DIFFERENTLY.

Old 06-06-2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Why are the citizens of those places constantly complaining about their status in life? Those places are a constant source of protest and general social discord, yet they vote for the same people, same party, time after time.
That does not answer the question

Quote:
And no, I did not go on a partisan rage, if we were talking about something happening in mostly Republican controlled areas, I would be on a rant about them as well.
There are some pretty bad things that happen in Miami, but we understand that a Mayor can't be blamed for everything people choose to do.

Quote:
For the last 40 years Miami has been a mix of Republicans and Democrats, not even close to being dominated by one party. Even look at the last few presidential election, MN has been straight Democrat, while Florida has been a mix.
Florida politics is pure Republican. I doubt there are any other States which are so dominated by one party than Florida.

No, we don't get into partisan blame-game every time something bad happens.

What policy in Minneapolis caused this cop to put his knee on the guys neck? Are you arguing that could not happen in any other city? It could happen anywhere, you are just trying to turn it into a partisan blame-game.

Quote:
But fact is these people, the police problem, are occurring under Democratic controlled cities, which have been controlled for decades, yet the blame goes towards everyone but these Democrats and those who keep voting for them.
Its obvious a cop can screw up in any city, but feel free to squeeze some partisan juice out of it if you wish?

Why are people not voting for Republican mayors, or city council members?

Quote:
For Minneapolis, Trump, Republicans, etc, have not been in control of the city for decades, yet what do I see?
You see a cop, an individual, making a mistake.

Quote:
But when I see someone one one hand stating how their Democratic controlled city has police issues, yet on the other hand blaming Trump, Republicans, etc, it makes absolutely zero sense to me.
No one is blaming Trump for what the cop did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies