Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2020, 08:40 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Putin will be extremely happy. He'd like to see all US forces out of Europe. What I can't wrap my head around is the hostility of Trump fans to Europe. Trump himself of course has been unbelievable in that regard, but he's only one man. That there is this about-face from the MAGA people, after over 70 years of US partnership with Europe doesn't make any sense. And Russia is not our friend. So rather than uniting with Europe against Russia, as we have done for 70 years, Trump wants to divide us from Europe, and throw them to Russia. How does that help make America great??? I see how it helps make Russia great again, but not the USA.
presumably, you've never said we spend too much on the military.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2020, 08:42 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,491,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I can't claim to know much about global military forces, but the EU has a population a little larger than the US. They can't handle adding 9,500 troops?
What you fail to talk about is that the u.s. stopped Germany from raising an army for many decades. After two world wars there was a trust issue, one cannot suddenly turn on a spigot and had a military. It takes decades.

To not understand that is plain stupid

Old 06-06-2020, 08:42 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
I actually agree with reducing our forces in Europe. They can take care of themselves.

Old 06-06-2020, 08:45 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,725,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
States? That makes zero sense. Other overseas theaters perhaps. Frontline soldiers in Iowa makes zero sense.
Picking nits are we?

OK, they'll go wherever they are told to go, go thru several months of training and move on from there. Or maybe they'll just go wherever they're going to go, and get their training there, and stay there, until redeployed someplace else, again.

Feel better now?

Sheeesh.

CN

Old 06-06-2020, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I actually agree with reducing our forces in Europe. They can take care of themselves.
Based on what? We need a draw down. You cannot block a country for decades from self defense and just pull out. That is ludicrous

Old 06-06-2020, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Again. Drawing troops from Germany does not necessarily equate to a reduction of military spending. In fact it may be the opposite as Germany pays part of the cost. Are these troops suddenly discharged? Are we reducing our ,
Military and if so is trump dismantaling our military such as Obama accused of?
9,500 is less than 1% of active military.

It's only bad because THIS Administration is doing it.

Old 06-06-2020, 08:54 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,875,030 times
Quote:

True.

I would like to see us reduce troop deployment in Europe in general. Let Europe fund their own defense.

Old 06-06-2020, 09:07 PM

26,469 posts, read 15,053,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Trump announced that he's pulling 9,500 US troops out of Germany (about 1/3 of forces stationed there). Europe will be alarmed, but of course they are just our allies. The point is, our enemy Russia will be pleased.

Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.): “This is a dangerously misguided policy. If the United States abandons allies, withdraws our forces, and retreats within our borders, the cause of freedom—on which our nation was founded & our security depends—will be in peril”
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/5...usly-misguided

You militarists are a joke.

EU+UK
583 million people
$20.5 Trillion Economy
Has Nukes

US
327 million people
$22.3 Trillion Economy

Russia
147 million people
$1.7 Trillion Economy

Oh my gosh, the little EU+UK can't protect themselves from Russia, the USA should massively deficit spend from 1945 to eternity defending the EU+UK from big bad boogeyman Russia! Meanwhile the EU+UK has more money freed up to spend on their own people.

Old 06-06-2020, 09:12 PM

Quote:

You actuaaly did not understand one word I said. Again. Moving soldiers from on theater of operation to another IS NO T A DRAW DOwn.

Damn

Seriously you think all those soldiers are fired.

Old 06-06-2020, 09:25 PM

Quote:
What you fail to talk about is that the u.s. stopped Germany from raising an army for many decades. After two world wars there was a trust issue, one cannot suddenly turn on a spigot and had a military. It takes decades.

To not understand that is plain stupid
I'm assuming this ended shortly after the wall was torn down, and the 2 Germanys unified? 30 years ago?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies