Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2020, 07:15 PM

21,761 posts, read 9,323,934 times

Advertisements

Sorry it's WSJ. I know everyone can't read it.

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/the...x-md6J1hFUR7mQ

The Myth of Systemic Police Racism

...In 2019 police officers fatally shot 1,004 people, most of whom were armed or otherwise dangerous. African-Americans were about a quarter of those killed by cops last year (235), a ratio that has remained stable since 2015. That share of black victims is less than what the black crime rate would predict, since police shootings are a function of how often officers encounter armed and violent suspects. In 2018, the latest year for which such data have been published, African-Americans made up 53% of known homicide offenders in the U.S. and commit about 60% of robberies, though they are 13% of the population.

The police fatally shot nine unarmed blacks and 19 unarmed whites in 2019, according to a Washington Post database, down from 38 and 32, respectively, in 2015. The Post defines “unarmed” broadly to include such cases as a suspect in Newark, N.J., who had a loaded handgun in his car during a police chase. In 2018 there were 7,407 black homicide victims. Assuming a comparable number of victims last year, those nine unarmed black victims of police shootings represent 0.1% of all African-Americans killed in 2019. By contrast, a police officer is 18½ times more likely to be killed by a black male than an unarmed black male is to be killed by a police officer....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2020, 07:23 PM

4,623 posts, read 1,918,823 times
Those numbers have been published here time and time again. it doesn't change anybodies mind. Myths for many can be every bit as powerful as truth, if not more so. Talk to a devoutly religious person of any faith and see what they say about their personal "myths". Once we believe something we as a people seem to get as stubborn as 2 year olds when changing our views. it's a very painful process to undergo.

Old 06-06-2020, 07:27 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,718,380 times
I wonder what percentage of the protestors already know this.

Old 06-06-2020, 07:30 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,698,114 times
I've seen a ton of these types of articles. Apparently, whenever somebody bothers to do fact-finding and gathering relevant data, you find out that the narrative that police are actively hunting down and killing blacks because they're racists and love killing blacks -- it's all fiction. Blacks do commit more crimes, so they do have more encounters with the police than any other demographic. Per encounter with the police, you're 18% more likely to be killed by the police if you're white than if you're black.

Black lives do matter. It's basically like saying that water is wet and grass is green. It's a ridiculously obvious statement. The implication being made by the movement, the signs and the endless shrieking is that the majority of non-blacks don't think that black lives matter. It's just fanciful fiction and I have no idea why anyone lets themselves get conned into believing it.

Old 06-06-2020, 07:30 PM

18,308 posts, read 8,111,549 times
if you're trying to commit crimes....discrediting the people arresting you is a good place to start

Old 06-06-2020, 08:27 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,718,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
I wonder what percentage of the protestors already know this.
My guess is that the vast majority of urban black protestors don't know this kind of thing. They actually believe the narrative, and think the police target and kill blacks in large numbers. Their opinions are formed mostly by rumor and distorted versions of events passed around on social media and by word of mouth.

As for the white leftist protestors, while most of them likely are also ignorant of the facts, a significant percentage do know what's going on. Still, they cynically encourage the spread of misinformation, seeing it as a way to create the kinds of societal changes they desire.

Old 06-06-2020, 08:34 PM

16,237 posts, read 5,838,739 times
There isn't a thing wrong with holding the police to the highest of standards.

There are far too many abuses, regardless of race. There is too much much self-policing that allows things to be swept under the rug.

Cops policing themselves is what causes so much doubt. Cops cover for each other, that is no secret.

I know that my son was racially profiled and forced to stand outside of his truck, hands against the tailgate for an extended time, because the cop claimed that his window Tint was questionable. The cops then made comments about he had seen it all now a N*&&er driving a monster truck. Witnesses heard it. That cop is still on the job today.

So yeah there are racist cops everywhere and no we don't hold them accountable for it.

Old 06-06-2020, 08:36 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,466,785 times
Why does the right concentrate only on stats in regards to black deaths at the hands of police? Have they not gotten the issue of daily racisms blacks endure?

Old 06-06-2020, 08:38 PM

16,237 posts, read 5,838,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
My guess is that the vast majority of urban black protestors don't know this kind of thing. They actually believe the narrative, and think the police target and kill blacks in large numbers. Their opinions are formed mostly by rumor and distorted versions of events passed around on social media and by word of mouth.

As for the white leftist protestors, while most of them likely are also ignorant of the facts, a significant percentage do know what's going on. Still, they cynically encourage the spread of misinformation, seeing it as a way to create the kinds of societal changes they desire.
I suspect its isn't just about blacks being killed. I suspect it is about targeting blacks in general which the death by cop statistics don't address. I suspect it is also the manner in which many blacks have been treated by cops.

In all my years driving, I have only been asked to exit my vehicle once. I am always called sir by the officer. Is that true of black experiences? I don't know. The blacks I know have different experiences than I do.

Old 06-06-2020, 08:41 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,470,764 times
The :40 mark is absolutely disgusting. Zero respect for human life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66PLzBxpv6A
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies