Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2020, 08:00 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
Less cops? Cut their pay so they only make minimum wage? Good luck with that. If anything, shouldn’t we increase the funding for the police so they can get better training to prevent things like George Floyd happening again? Maybe the cities that want to defund them should, then they can see how bad things would be in their cities. Somebody robbing your house? Too bad. A creep raping you? Tough luck. School shooting? You’re on your own.

What exactly is this movement trying to accomplish?
Anarchy and the abandonment of civilization in American cities.

When there are no police, tribalism and vigilante justice takes over.

Democrats are a plague upon America and western civilization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2020, 08:20 AM

14,228 posts, read 4,592,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
To your last sentence..you're right. police presence in trouble spots reduces crime- until you move on to another trouble spot. At least be honest and admit that. If we had enough cops to plant a unit outside of every stop and rob or city park full time, crime would drop but the City would be spending 90% of it's budget on police.
Criminals just go to another city where there will be no cops....like Minneapolis to do their business

Old 06-08-2020, 08:22 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Yes it should. So much BS on this thread, so much of it stupidly partisan and ignorant. Just finished my late night reading about what 'defund the police' really means. (https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...-really-means/)

And the most important part of that is that it is NOT either or: Either we turn all law enforcement over to non-police OR keep the police departments as they are, but with additional training and reforms. It is BOTH. Train cops better AND get other stakeholders to relieve cops of duties they aren't trained for.

Only the most paranoid really thinks the aim of 'defund the police' is to have no police at all. That's a straw man argument. Moreover, the reality is that no jurisdiction will ever totally eliminate law enforcement. If anybody thinks that's going to happen in Minneapolis or anyplace else I got a bridge to sell you over the East River to Brooklyn. But if we don't do something drastically different, we'll be seeing the whole George Floyd episode over and over again.
There's nothing paranoid about thinking the words 'defund the police' mean exactly what those words mean --- no money for police. Are people paranoid when they think the words 'defund Planned Parenthood' or 'defund PBS' mean no money for them ?

Defund the police is a crummy slogan. I'd have come up with a new word, 'rerole.' Rerole the police. Those who do want to abolish police departments should just say abolish, disband, get rid of. If there's a domestic dispute, call a family member, friend, social worker, relationship counselor

Old 06-08-2020, 08:23 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Political appeasement I keep my job as mayor while throwing my community under the bus

Old 06-08-2020, 08:30 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
Criminals just go to another city where there will be no cops....like Minneapolis to do their business
That's silly. Most of them lack the common sense or foresight to move to another city 'where there will be no cops', not to mention there are no cities with "no cops" Most petty criminals don't think they will get caught and even if they did have the ability to make rational decisions they would likely stay where they are so they can be with their homeys and crash on mom's couch when they need to sleep. You are giving these people far more credit for having common sense than they deserve...how long did you say you were a Deputy for LASO?

Old 06-08-2020, 08:31 AM

1,049 posts, read 653,746 times
I agree with the founder of City-Data on this

Quote:
If your plan for "defunding" the police is reducing the number of police officers and sending social workers, mental health providers, or victim advocates into uncertain situations instead, you really need to talk to some of them and listen to what they think about it.
The complete disband the police and let people who aren't really trained fully in that regard do it is throwing the baby out of the bathwater.

We should clean the bathwater by having citizens boards that hold police accountable, no knee/choke holds, getting rid of no-knock warrants, and making it easier to weed out the bad cops and those who cover for them. Then place the baby in there.

Old 06-08-2020, 08:32 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
IMO, using the phrase defund the police is misleading when one understands what BLM is asking for.

In my town the 3 LE agencies have always been underfunded when one considers what we expect the to do.

My understanding of the is to allocate resources in ways that get better bang for the buck. Let LE deal with crime. But other issues that we expect police to deal with can be done by others.

In the book What the Dog Saw, a community calculated they spent $85,000 a year on arresting and jailing and/or medical care for homeless people. When the city acquired an old motel and put a social worker in it 24/7 to dispense medication, monitor and counsel the homeless were able to get back to work. It cost the taxpayer half for the time they were getting back on their feet. And mental health care was cheaper than jail and having the police always called.

Old 06-08-2020, 08:38 AM

Quote:
That's silly. Most of them lack the common sense to move to another city 'where there will be no cops'. You are giving these people far more credit for having common sense than they deserve...how long did you say you were a Deputy for LASO?
How many criminals have you dealt with on a daily basis?

I was a deputy for almost 6 years, then switched to feds.

Old 06-08-2020, 08:39 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
How many criminals have you dealt with on a daily basis?
I was a deputy for almost 6 years, then switched to feds.
Clearly more than you.

Old 06-08-2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Clearly more than you.
I don't think watching rerun of COPS on youtube is consider as dealing with criminals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies