Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2020, 02:50 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,603,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Let me show you, these are their crime stats. It worked.

https://twitter.com/kar_nels/status/1269770651998568454
I see clear progress in reducing robberies and burglaries. It appears that murders are trending downward, though the line is inconsistent. The other categories appear to be fairly stable. So I would say that it's not an across-the-board improvement, but in general things are heading in the right direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2020, 02:53 PM

20,094 posts, read 8,995,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
Less cops? Cut their pay so they only make minimum wage? Good luck with that. If anything, shouldn’t we increase the funding for the police so they can get better training to prevent things like George Floyd happening again? Maybe the cities that want to defund them should, then they can see how bad things would be in their cities. Somebody robbing your house? Too bad. A creep raping you? Tough luck. School shooting? You’re on your own.

What exactly is this movement trying to accomplish?
Quick answer...the police are thought to be poorly trained, so you cut their budget so they are even less so. I hope they do it, please do it!...

Minnesota has become the laughingstock of the nation.

Old 06-08-2020, 02:54 PM

14,215 posts, read 4,585,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
The point is, Camden restructured. They got rid of an ineffective, union dominated, out of control policing entity, and replaced it with one that also emphasized intervention by trained professionals to deal with mental health, addiction and homeless issues.

Don't forget, this is not some rural hick town. P̶i̶t̶t̶s̶b̶u̶r̶g̶h̶ Philadelphia is right across the river from them. It is not a bad thing to think outside of the box. There are many professional policing forces that can be looked at, both in the USA, and outside. Think Scotland Yard, RCMP or the German policing model. All of them have less problems than the USA.
Restructuring police force means restructuring the whole chain of command and leadership. I joined LASD in 2006 or 2007, 6 or 7 years before Compton disbanded their city police amidst corruption, and absorbed into LASD. A lot of LASD deputies are former Compton PD cops. Obviously "business" cannot go on as usual when you are now under LASD leadership instead of Compton PD.

Old 06-08-2020, 02:55 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,706,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
it did NOt work

for 5 years since the disbanding crime rates went up, making it even worse than before,,, only the last 3 years have rates dropped ever so slightly..they are still higher than they were in 2012 (their peak was 2011)..it is "expected" that 2020 will finally be lower than 2012....which is not really saying much

With a crime rate of 47 per one thousand residents (2019), Camden has one of the highest crime rates in America compared to all communities of all sizes
Yeah but there are so many great real estate opportunities:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/8...38202019_zpid/

When you hear about how the welfare state promoters want affordable housing, this is what they are talking about!!!

Old 06-08-2020, 02:57 PM

24,596 posts, read 9,434,738 times
Joe Biden is against defunding the police

Holy hell, he did something that actually made sense. His supporters will hate him for that.

Old 06-08-2020, 02:58 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,469,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Yeah but there are so many great real estate opportunities:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/8...38202019_zpid/

When you hear about how the welfare state promoters want affordable housing, this is what they are talking about!!!

no kidding

Poverty rate Camden NJ: 37.4% …. compared to the state of NJ: 10.7%

Old 06-08-2020, 02:59 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,122,593 times
Quote:
What exactly does “defund the police” accomplish?
Lawlessness

Old 06-08-2020, 03:52 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,669,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Not good enough.

End police and check your privilege when you get home invaded and dare to complain.
End policing: Frustrations understandable, but it's unrealistic!

Old 06-08-2020, 04:03 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,791,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
Less cops? Cut their pay so they only make minimum wage? Good luck with that. If anything, shouldn’t we increase the funding for the police so they can get better training to prevent things like George Floyd happening again? Maybe the cities that want to defund them should, then they can see how bad things would be in their cities. Somebody robbing your house? Too bad. A creep raping you? Tough luck. School shooting? You’re on your own.

What exactly is this movement trying to accomplish?
I saw a good definition about defunding from John Oliver.
“Defunding the police absolutely does not mean that we eliminate all cops and just succumb to ‘The Purge.’ Instead, it’s about moving away from a narrow conception of public safety that relies on policing and punishment, and investing in a community’s actual safety net. Things like stable housing, mental health services and community organizations.”

To do away with police forces ad hoc would be dangerous and irresponsible. I don't think anyone is advocating that.

Old 06-08-2020, 04:36 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
Restructuring police force means restructuring the whole chain of command and leadership. I joined LASD in 2006 or 2007, 6 or 7 years before Compton disbanded their city police amidst corruption, and absorbed into LASD. A lot of LASD deputies are former Compton PD cops. Obviously "business" cannot go on as usual when you are now under LASD leadership instead of Compton PD.
I can see that. I've seen the same change when leadership changed in a large city I used to live in. I've seen it get worse, and then, finally, get better with change in leadership and training.

So, there is no silver bullet, no question. But no police force should be beyond question, nor should the whole policing mindset in much of North America, be beyond question. Do we really need fully fledged police for traffic control? What about normal crowd control at large functions?

We need police to be there for emergency situations, and to have the expertise to investigate a plethora of crimes. But there are many, many interactions with public that it may well be better that a community worker, a social worker or an addiction counselor, as opposed to a police member. We also need to get away from the militarization of police. As a friend of mine, now retired, says of the urban police force he was a long-term member of, today's police are lazy. They don't know the people in the neighborhoods, and they would rather call out the SWAT team than do an arrest themselves. They would rather work OT and structure their work to ensure that, backed up by their union, and work the extra off-duty shifts than do proper police work. He laments the propensity to use tasers and to draw weapons.

We need to reinvent how we deal with societies problems. Not all require a strong show of force.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies