Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2020, 04:40 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,670,391 times

Advertisements

Let me explain my suggestions.....

1. Community policing. Contrary to public opinion, it worked under David Dinkins, in the early 90s. Crime went down almost 15%, putting 6,000 cops on the street (despite a budget deficit). The Safe Streets initiative, with the beat cop in the neighborhood, balanced community and law enforcement. These days, Ras Baraka, in Newark, a town I frequent often, took Dinkins' playbook, and the city's police complaints went down 73%.

2. Residency requirements. Have officers, at least, live in, or near, the city where they police!

3. Increased de-escalation training. My understanding is that Dallas, outside of Amber Guyger, has been a model, if not perfect, city for de-escalation! Shoot as a very last resort, or if the officer's life is truly in danger.

4. Increased and changes in psychological testing. I'll leave it to the mental health professionals, how to make changes with this.

5. Diversity in police union and management leadership. The Pat Lynch NYC PBA press conference I saw last year, defending the cop fired for choking Eric Garner, was troubling. Lynch went on a rant, with all them white dudes on the podium, while a much more diverse rank and file I see on the streets of New York. But that's on the rank and file to vote for a more diverse union leadership. And the public has to demand a more diverse police management.

I'll add two more......

6. Mayoral accountability and upfront leadership. I go to church in New Rochelle, NY. This past weekend, threre was the shooting of Kamal Flowers. The mayor, Noam Bromson, is very well-liked and is consistently up front. He was up front regarding this incident. In exchange, the Black community, there, is very supportive of this mayor. I remember when there were stabbings in New Rochelle High, in 2018. Bromson went to every church and throughout the community and promised to get to the bottom of the roots of the stabbings. He did. That city, as folk may already know, had one of the first coronavirus outbreaks, and there was full cooperation. I throw Covid and the stabbings in this because the cooperation and upfront leadership got those crises under control.

7. Mental health incident assistant. Two incidents in New York, back in the day. Eleanor Bumpers and Gideon Bush. Both police shooting victims had serious mental health issues. A mental health person could've de-escalated those incidents, and both would have been alive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2020, 04:47 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post

1. Community policing. Contrary to public opinion, it worked under David Dinkins, in the early 90s. Crime went down almost 15%, putting 6,000 cops on the street (despite a budget deficit). The Safe Streets initiative, with the beat cop in the neighborhood, balanced community and law enforcement. These days, Ras Baraka, in Newark, a town I frequent often, took Dinkins' playbook, and the city's police complaints went down 73%.

2. Residency requirements. Have officers, at least, live in, or near, the city where they police!

3. Increased de-escalation training. My understanding is that Dallas, outside of Amber Guyger, has been a model, if not perfect, city for de-escalation! Shoot as a very last resort, or if the officer's life is truly in danger.

4. Increased and changes in psychological testing. I'll leave it to the mental health professionals, how to make changes with this.

5. Diversity in police union and management leadership. The Pat Lynch NYC PBA press conference I saw last year, defending the cop fired for choking Eric Garner, was troubling. Lynch went on a rant, with all them white dudes on the podium, while a much more diverse rank and file I see on the streets of New York. But that's on the rank and file to vote for a more diverse union leadership. And the public has to demand a more diverse police management.

I'll add two more......

6. Mayoral accountability and upfront leadership. I go to church in New Rochelle, NY. This past weekend, threre was the shooting of Kamal Flowers. The mayor, Noam Bromson, is very well-liked and is consistently up front. He was up front regarding this incident. In exchange, the Black community, there, is very supportive of this mayor. I remember when there were stabbings in New Rochelle High, in 2018. Bromson went to every church and throughout the community and promised to get to the bottom of the roots of the stabbings. He did. That city, as folk may already know, had one of the first coronavirus outbreaks, and there was full cooperation. I throw Covid and the stabbings in this because the cooperation and upfront leadership got those crises under control.

7. Mental health incident assistant. Two incidents in New York, back in the day. Eleanor Bumpers and Gideon Bush. Both police shooting victims had serious mental health issues. A mental health person could've de-escalated those incidents, and both would have been alive.
I would agree with all of the above.

Old 06-08-2020, 04:49 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I saw a good definition about defunding from John Oliver.
“Defunding the police absolutely does not mean that we eliminate all cops and just succumb to ‘The Purge.’ Instead, it’s about moving away from a narrow conception of public safety that relies on policing and punishment, and investing in a community’s actual safety net. Things like stable housing, mental health services and community organizations.”

To do away with police forces ad hoc would be dangerous and irresponsible. I don't think anyone is advocating that.

again... the city council (and rep Omar) has stated NOT defunding, but disbanding...eliminating it

MPD150, a community advocacy organization in Minneapolis, focuses on abolishing local police altogether.

protesters screaming "we want no police at all"... and... "fu.. the police"

Old 06-08-2020, 04:52 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Will admit I have't read 17 pages....but in some cases it will disband the unions which allow corrupt officers to be protected and continue working.

Old 06-08-2020, 04:56 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Will admit I have't read 17 pages....but in some cases it will disband the unions which allow corrupt officers to be protected and continue working.
wow...now I have seen it all...democrats arguing AGAINST unions

Old 06-08-2020, 05:08 PM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post

I'll add two more......

Good suggestions, Police have to become part of the community and involved. Community policing works.

Old 06-08-2020, 05:18 PM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
wow...now I have seen it all...democrats arguing AGAINST unions
While they are at it disbanding police unions, why stop there, disband teachers unions too and place the kids education 1st.

Old 06-08-2020, 05:22 PM

2,642 posts, read 1,371,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
Most democrats are brainwashed / misinformed or racially self interested enough to not believe that to be the case, but your admission is closer to the mark than you likely think it to be.

When the cognitive dissonance arises that makes you choose between something destructive and not, the brainwashing kicks in and tells you that it is okay because it corrects a wrong. Which is almost always a lie to varying degree. Repeat ad infinitum.
Not even close to being accurate.

Old 06-08-2020, 06:10 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I saw a good definition about defunding from John Oliver.
“Defunding the police absolutely does not mean that we eliminate all cops and just succumb to ‘The Purge.’ Instead, it’s about moving away from a narrow conception of public safety that relies on policing and punishment, and investing in a community’s actual safety net. Things like stable housing, mental health services and community organizations.”

To do away with police forces ad hoc would be dangerous and irresponsible. I don't think anyone is advocating that.
If they're not advocating defunding the police, then they should stop calling for defunding the police. Words mean things. If they want to redirect, or refocus, or reform, or realign the police, then say so.

Old 06-08-2020, 07:14 PM

35,000 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Default Are Police-less Cities More Just?

No question about it, George Floyd, a great, gentle man was brutally murdered by four members of Minneapolis Police Department. Now the proposal is to defund the police, on the claim that the ability to call the police in response to violent crime comes from a "place of privilege. An excerpt of an interview with Lisa Bender, Pres., Minneapolis City Council (link):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interview with Lisa Bender, Pres., Minneapolis City Council
CAMEROTA: Do you understand that the word, dismantle, or police-free also makes some people nervous, for instance? What if in the middle of night, my home is broken into? Who do I call?

BENDER: Yes, I mean, hear that loud and clear from a lot of my neighbors. And I know -- and myself, too, and I know that that comes from a place of privilege. Because for those of us for whom the system is working, I think we need to step back and imagine what it would feel like to already live in that reality where calling the police may mean more harm is done.
Lisa Lightfoot is pleading with Walmart not to exit Chicago. Query, will Walmart or any retailer be able to obtain insurance? What will this do to the liveability, much less employment for minority youths, in cities with no police department?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies