Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2020, 01:28 PM

17,264 posts, read 12,156,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Wow. Talk about an uninformed opinion.

Yeah, this is all about property taxes and Republicans. Uh huh. Holy crap. Open your eyes, man.
They are open. Open your mind. Communities all over have run on shoestring budgets with not enough officers/cars/support for the population resulting in a lot of stress and bad decisions by overworked officers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2020, 01:42 PM

5,300 posts, read 2,348,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Coming from a Libertarian leaning former pothead:

People don't use drugs in a vacuum.

What you do with drugs affects another people whether you admit it or not.

Not that I think all drugs should be Illegal....

There's a big difference between weed and meth.
Well...you’re responsible for anything you do on alcohol, weed, or meth. If you’re using it in your own home and not doing harm to anyone but yourself, I don’t see how it can be considered a crime... I get that some people will go out and do harm, but a lot of things should be illegal if “it might lead to them committing a crime” is the criteria.

Old 06-07-2020, 01:44 PM

408 posts, read 428,536 times
I honestly wonder why cops in my city don't just resign and find a different career. They are so incredibly hated. And it seems like a tough, crappy job to begin with. You could make double the money doing a cushy desk job for a big corporation.

Old 06-07-2020, 01:45 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,055,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
These are also the same people who want to take guns away from law-abiding citizens.
How are (1) "Red-Flag gun laws" enacted under careful due-process (the red-flag law in my state requires careful review by a judge, and also provides strict penalties against turning in people just for spite (i.e., making false accusations) --- (2) trying to prevent convicted felons from buying guns at gun-shows, using the loop hole --- (3) limiting the size of magazines so that hundreds of victims won't be killed, and hundreds more injured, by a madman like Stephen Paddock shooting from a hotel room window at a Las Vegas outdoor concert) -- how do these measures constitute "Banning guns"?

It would be like claiming that "Mother against Drunk Driving" wants to "Ban All Cars."

Old 06-07-2020, 01:47 PM

408 posts, read 428,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
They forget about this.

However, a police chief was interviewed yesterday and talked about how police officers are expected to be marriage counselors, mental health experts, community leaders, and keep the peace.

For him, 'defunding' the police department meant only that some of these ancillary duties should be given to a different group and let the police focus on keeping the peace.
In my opinion, any situation involving a violent person should be handled by someone equipped to deal with it. You don't want a marriage counselor showing up to a domestic violence call where someone is angry and escalated. But I do like the idea of other people handling very low level crime, like non-violent homeless situations. Doesn't seem like we really need a cop to manage that.

Old 06-07-2020, 04:08 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,957,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
And if we completely de funded the police in all these Liberal Democrat cities.....

You think they WOULDN'T find something else to spend it on?

ROFLMAO
Nope that wasn't my question......the question who funds the police budget.

ROFLMAO because maissive fail for addressing the question and choosing to try and divert with some agenda.

Municipal budgets fund police deparatments.

Old 06-07-2020, 04:16 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,565,274 times
It will mean more crime, particularly in poor urban communities.

Old 06-07-2020, 04:33 PM

18,424 posts, read 7,063,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
Well...you’re responsible for anything you do on alcohol, weed, or meth. If you’re using it in your own home and not doing harm to anyone but yourself, I don’t see how it can be considered a crime... I get that some people will go out and do harm, but a lot of things should be illegal if “it might lead to them committing a crime” is the criteria.

You can have a drink or to socially and not get drunk.

You can't do meth and not get high.

There's no such thing as a social/casual meth user.

Old 06-07-2020, 04:42 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,678,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
Less cops? Cut their pay so they only make minimum wage? Good luck with that.
Less pay is a terrible idea, you find all the corruption where you find underpaid police. You are giving incentives for people to join the force who will be on the take

Old 06-07-2020, 04:43 PM

234 posts, read 89,715 times
Defunding the police would be the best Christmas present pedophiles, pimps, and heroin traffickers could ever hope to receive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies