Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2020, 10:08 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,508,987 times

Advertisements

NPR, a "Progressive" Democrat left operation if ever there was one, is advising everyone to "decolonize your bookshelf" in order to eliminate "colonialist ideas of narrative, storytelling, and literature that have pervaded the American psyche for so long".

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1269299004866809862

In order to help, they recommend an "anti-racist reading list" of approved books. Presumably they would not advocate selling your "racist" volumes to half-price books, or giving them to your friends and relatives. No, these offending "colonialist" and "racist" volumes must obviously be destroyed. To be fair, they are not recommending a specific method for destroying these volumes. But would they not be pleased to hear that people were burning them? Clearly, it appears that they would.

Did anyone here ever read Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradury? There are elements in our society that are working quite openly to move us in this direction.

How can so many people support the increasingly dystopian agenda of the globalist establishment Democrat left? Have you lost your minds? Serious question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2020, 10:11 AM

12,200 posts, read 7,208,032 times
Yup, history repeats itself just like we were all warned.

Old 06-07-2020, 10:17 AM

4,651 posts, read 1,945,417 times
Fahrenheit 451 is a great book. it seemed just clever nonsense when i read it in High School, a play on the role of Firemen. Now given how crazy some on the left have become it doesn't seem so far fetched. I was in Graduate school about a decade ago for my MLS(Masters of Library and Information Studies) and there was a lot of talk about how the N word was being removed from copies Huck Finn(even the NYT felt it was a disservice to Twain). Today it seems many think we should just burn everything down if it does not reflect todays political correct environment.

Old 06-07-2020, 10:19 AM

39,838 posts, read 26,470,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remco67 View Post
Fahrenheit 451 is a great book. it seemed just clever nonsense when i read it in High School, a play on the role of Firemen. Now given how crazy some on the left have become now not so crazy. I was in Graduate school about a decade ago for my MLS(Masters of Library and Information Studies) and there was a lot of talk about how the N word was being removed from copies Huck Finn(even the NYT felt it was a disservice to Twain). Today it seems many think we should just burn everything down if it does not reflect todays political correct environment.
I need to read it, as well as Slaughterhouse 5. I know of both, they have been on my list for some time.

Old 06-07-2020, 10:20 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,447,524 times
It's much easier to rewrite history after actual history books and records are burned.

Old 06-07-2020, 10:23 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,508,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I need to read it, as well as Slaughterhouse 5. I know of both, they have been on my list for some time.
Well, if you really think you will want to read these great novels, you might want to go out and pick up a copy, even if it is for later. While you still can.

It is not at all clear that either one of these books are on the "Progressive" approved "anti-racist" reading list.

Old 06-07-2020, 10:27 AM

7,300 posts, read 3,392,319 times
Get rid of the knowledge. Ugga Booga.

Old 06-07-2020, 10:28 AM

46,946 posts, read 25,947,029 times
<reads article>
<looks for encouragement to get rid of books>
<doesn't find it>

The author speaks about adding books, as far as I can tell.

But have your drama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Presumably they would not advocate selling your "racist" volumes to half-price books, or giving them to your friends and relatives. No, these offending "colonialist" and "racist" volumes must obviously be destroyed. To be fair, they are not recommending a specific method for destroying these volumes. But would they not be pleased to hear that people were burning them? Clearly, it appears that they would.
Someone got out the Jump To Conclusions mat.

Old 06-07-2020, 10:28 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,540,854 times
This breaks my heart. Ingalls Wilder was simply speaking in the voice of her time. Hers are beloved books, with which I grew up, being from the Midwest. I gave myself and a friend of mine who also loves her books a complete set for Christmas, and I'll be damned if I'm going to do anything with these books but cherish them and read them over and over. And any sniveling SJW who doesn't like it can kiss my rear end!

https://www.npr.org/2018/06/25/62318...-from-book-awa

Old 06-07-2020, 10:29 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,540,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
It's much easier to rewrite history after actual history books and records are burned.

Absolutely!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies