Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cause was more evil the Confederate States of America or Nazi Germany
Confederate States of America 14 5.88%
Nazi Germany 202 84.87%
equal 22 9.24%
Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2020, 06:44 AM

12,852 posts, read 7,046,951 times

Advertisements

At the end of WW2 85 million were killed highest loss of human life in history of all wars Russia alone lost over 26.6 million.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_...uman%20losses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2020, 07:00 AM

51,587 posts, read 25,520,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Both are bad but the Civil War occurred at a time that people were trying to keep things the way they were and the practices were still wide spread in the world and not unique to this country, it wasn't right but we see it through 21st century eyes. ...
It isn't just 21st century sensibilities, lots of people in the 1850's knew slavery was wrong.

Confederates were worried that as new states joined the union, slave states would be outnumbered and slavery would be voted out.

Hence, the Civil War.

Old 06-13-2020, 07:05 AM
Status: "A solution in search of a problem" (set 15 days ago)

34,461 posts, read 16,551,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
It isn't just 21st century sensibilities, lots of people in the 1850's knew slavery was wrong.

Confederates were worried that as new states joined the union, slave states would be outnumbered and slavery would be voted out.

Hence, the Civil War.
At least many in the U.S. "knew it was wrong." In Libya and Saudi Arabia not so much.

Old 06-13-2020, 09:15 AM

37 posts, read 42,922 times
I find it difficult to compare the two from the perspective of the victims. Many holocaust victims lived long, and in many cases, comfortable and fulfilling lives before meeting a brutal end. Some slaves died peacefully in their beds yet suffered decades of toil, torture, and psychological terror. Chattel slavery was an institution for hundreds of years. The holocaust was brief by comparison but filled with unique horrors. You can argue that either one is worse but I don't see the point.

Old 06-13-2020, 09:39 AM

9,105 posts, read 13,124,520 times
Default Confederacy worse than Nazi Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
I was attacked on this forum for saying that slavery is not as bad as genocide
In the context of saying Nazi Germany was much worse that the Confederate States of America.

Esther - Chapter 7-4
For we have been sold, I and my people, to be destroyed, to be slain, and to perish; now had we been sold for slaves and bondswomen, I would have kept silent, for the adversary has no consideration for the king's loss."

So which cause was more evil the Confederate States of America or Nazi Germany?
Nazi Germany was far worse then the Confederacy, its not even close.

Mass murder
Nazi Germany - worse

Slavery

Nazi Germany - worse

I think people forget, possibly because it is so overshadowed by Nazi Germany's mass scale murders, that Nazi Germany was becoming a slave state even during the war. A slave state that brutalized and even murdered its slaves. And the Nazis postwar plans for Eastern Europe, moving Germans settlers into Poland, Belarus, Ukraine and Russia, and providing them all with Slavic slaves would have dwarfed the Confederacy.

Politics
Nazi Germany - worse

Say what you will, the Confederacy had a constitution, elected leaders and political rights for white males anyway. Even this limited suffrage was above what most nations had at the time. And it is far above Nazi Germany which only the top Nazis and ultimately Hitler had any real say.

An example of this is the active political opposition from the states like Georgia and North Carolina to Richmond as well as Southern opposition against the draft. Imagine in contrast what would happen to Germans who opposed the draft in Nazi Germany.

Old 06-13-2020, 11:15 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,550,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
The BIGGEST slave owner in the South was a BLACK man. Do we ever ear anything about THAT?

BLACKS sold their "brothers" and "Sisters" into slavery but it is the white mans fault.
Which KKK talking point is this from? Or was it from the Daughters of the Confederacy approved text books?

Old 06-13-2020, 11:18 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,550,980 times
Quote:
"Pretty sure a slave wouldn't agree with the bolded statement."

MOST of the original slave were indentured servants.
Really? Tell us exactly how a person from Africa became indebted to a white plantation owner in the South?

Quote:
MANY slaves were treated very well.

When buying most would NOT spit up families, etc. Not saying slavery is good but in many case NOT as bad as some espouse.
Daughters of the Confederacy teachings?

Old 06-13-2020, 11:23 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,028,853 times
Quote:
The BIGGEST slave owner in the South was a BLACK man. Do we ever ear anything about THAT?

BLACKS sold their "brothers" and "Sisters" into slavery but it is the white mans fault.
You know the drill. Post a legitimate link or it's BS.

Old 06-13-2020, 11:28 AM

24,624 posts, read 19,046,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
I was attacked on this forum for saying that slavery is not as bad as genocide
In the context of saying Nazi Germany was much worse that the Confederate States of America.

Esther - Chapter 7-4
For we have been sold, I and my people, to be destroyed, to be slain, and to perish; now had we been sold for slaves and bondswomen, I would have kept silent, for the adversary has no consideration for the king's loss."

So which cause was more evil the Confederate States of America or Nazi Germany?
Actually, it was your god, since the Yahweh-thing didn't see fit to abolish slavery despite having more than 100,000 years to do so and the Jesus-Yahweh-Holy Flatulence-thing wants you to be a good slave.

Old 06-13-2020, 11:45 AM
Status: "A solution in search of a problem" (set 15 days ago)

34,461 posts, read 16,551,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ_Yellowhammer View Post
Quote:

I find it difficult to compare the two from the perspective of the victims. Many holocaust victims lived long, and in many cases, comfortable and fulfilling lives before meeting a brutal end. Some slaves died peacefully in their beds yet suffered decades of toil, torture, and psychological terror. Chattel slavery was an institution for hundreds of years. The holocaust was brief by comparison but filled with unique horrors. You can argue that either one is worse but I don't see the point.
Does anyone in their right mind think that the slavers ran onto some rain forest beach and caught blacks by traps or otherwise. Of course they acquired them from another human.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies