Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cause was more evil the Confederate States of America or Nazi Germany
Confederate States of America 14 5.88%
Nazi Germany 202 84.87%
equal 22 9.24%
Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 10:25 AM

3,408 posts, read 1,901,534 times

Advertisements

The Democrat Party treats blacks like slaves, to wit, if you always vote for and pledge allegiance to YOUR DEMOCRAT Party, we'll provide for you, whether you work, or not. Free housing. Free food. Lots of free other stuff. Your vote is important! We will march and pray for you, even if your peaceful marches/protests turn violent, because we know you've been oppressed since 1620 (400 YEARS!). If need be, we'll promote the defunding (abolishment) of police departments and support sanctuary cities, so that you will have safe haven from crimes you commit. Free from prosecution. We will allow you to destroy and burn because you are ANGRY!! We will allow you to take over cities and block major highways so that you can get attention, and show people that YOU and your group are NOW in charge! As you can see, voting Democrat has MANY positive benefits!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2020, 10:30 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,588,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
How about the freedom to choose to own their own ...

African American Slave Owners in Kentucky

"The study found that there were 3,777 Negro slave owners in the United States."

I didn't say they wanted to continue slavery, I said they wanted to be able to choose, without the government doing that for them ... Seeing as how there were fewer slaves at the onset of the civil war, I'd say that it was on its way out.

The protection was --- individual freedom of choice and you're trying to twist that into something it isn't. The reason the States are on the Federal tit, is because the Confederacy lost the war. The only time people are for the laws to project moral reasoning is when it comes to something like slavery ... or abortion ... other than that, its like keep your morals to yourself --- the law should never legislate morals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
"...fewer slaves at the onset of the civil war..." Can you back this up with a credible link?
I miss spoke --- it was fewer people owned slaves at the onset of the civil war.

Slavery in the United States

Slave Ownership Patterns

"Despite their numbers, slaves typically comprised a minority of the local population. Only in antebellum South Carolina and Mississippi did slaves outnumber free persons. Most Southerners owned no slaves and most slaves lived in small groups rather than on large plantations. Less than one-quarter of white Southerners held slaves, with half of these holding fewer than five and fewer than 1 percent owning more than one hundred. In 1860, the average number of slaves residing together was about ten."

Old 06-18-2020, 10:35 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,588,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Nothing you show here discusses LEGAL slavery in the USA, which is what I first challenged you on. We know (many of us) that slavery exists in the world, and I am also aware of some of the underworld trafficking of human beings in the western world, including the USA..

But, none of that is LEGAL. Which you insisted existed in the USA.
I did not, I said 58,000 slaves reside and work in the u.s. There is no government oversight into their well being. And for whatever reason, you seem to think they are unimportant.

Old 06-18-2020, 10:38 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Slavery is about forced labor- millions in Europe were enslaved by nazis
Millions more in Asia by the japanese
Holocaust is what happened to the Jews and Chinese in Europe and Manchuria
Holocaust is extermination of a race -death camps -mass graves
Something entirely different from slavery
Many are referring to American slavery history as holocaust
This is 1984 think speech

Old 06-18-2020, 01:54 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
You could make some argument that illegal labor in meat packing plants is a form a slavery. Under threat of being deported they have to endure what ever these plants want from them.

It's not even close to what real slavery was prior to 1865 even after 1865 you could say black America was suppressed into slave like way of life.
Can you back up your assertion that people that are illegally in the country are working in meat packing plants?

Old 06-18-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Based on this thread and the poll results, I’d say that although the vast majority realize that Nazi Germany was of course worse, posters are more interested in discussing slavery.

What makes that odd is that there are people still alive today who were victims of Nazi concentration camps, and certainly many just one generation removed, with one or both parents who suffered the worst nightmare - and the tattoo on the forearm that reminded them of it. Yet nobody alive today was a slave, or even one generation removed.

So if Nazi Germany was so much worse, as everyone but just a handful agree, why is there such a lack of interest in it? It’s not even being taught as part of European history in many schools.
What happened under Nazi Germany is not taught in schools? Where do you get that information from? My children certainly learned about it in their school, and I know my oldest grandson, now in grade 8, has learned about it.

I've been through some of the camps, it is horrifying, but they need to stay, so people of the world can remember the horror that humans perpetrated on other humans. The first time I saw one of the cremation ovens, I had to walk away, as I could not imagine the horror of the people who were either forced to load them, or did so enthusiastically themselves due to their ideology.

"Never again" should not just be a Jewish mantra, but all peoples of the world need to live by it.

Old 06-18-2020, 02:20 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,496,445 times
Quote:
What happened under Nazi Germany is not taught in schools? Where do you get that information from? My children certainly learned about it in their school, and I know my oldest grandson, now in grade 8, has learned about it.

I've been through some of the camps, it is horrifying, but they need to stay, so people of the world can remember the horror that humans perpetrated on other humans. The first time I saw one of the cremation ovens, I had to walk away, as I could not imagine the horror of the people who were either forced to load them, or did so enthusiastically themselves due to their ideology.

"Never again" should not just be a Jewish mantra, but all peoples of the world need to live by it.
I know what you mean about having to walk away from the horrors of the ovens. I was so moved just by their depiction (not the real thing) at the Holocaust Museum that when some guy doing an interview at the exit asked me which exhibit moved me the most, I got out three words before I burst into tears.

To the question about children being taught about the Holocaust, there was an alarming survey that showed many young people don’t know about it. (I’ll see if I can find it.) That’s because in all but 12 states*, it is optional subject material, and not all schools choose to teach it.

* That’s changing, and perhaps now there is more. There has been a big push to make it required material for all students, nationwide, and it’s making headway.

https://www.ushmm.org/teach/fundamen...ired-in-the-us

Old 06-18-2020, 02:20 PM

13,237 posts, read 7,280,089 times
Slavery lasted around 400 years much longer then Nazi Germany did. After slavery ended in 1865 it continued by use of terror, and suppression of black people. It turned into discrimination, and segregation as we get closer to current times.

Nazi Germany while they murdered many it's difficult to compare which was worse because today's decedents of slaves are still not treated equally. In some ways the policies of slavery still enforced against them today. White people who are decedents of slave owners have learned these behaviors from their parents. I imagine the reason why racism has lasted so long is because Slavery lasted 400 years.

Antisemitism exist all around I would say I can't go more then 3-4 months without hearing a co-worker make a antisemitic joke. I don't think Jewish people have suffered nearly as long or as bad as black people have in this country post WW2 verses after slavery.

Old 06-18-2020, 02:24 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,496,445 times
Quote:

I’m back again with some survey data that shows 22% of millennials haven’t heard of the Holocaust, or weren’t sure if they heard of it. Scary, huh?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/holocau...y-millennials/

Old 06-18-2020, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I’m back again with some survey data that shows 22% of millennials haven’t heard of the Holocaust, or weren’t sure if they heard of it. Scary, huh?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/holocau...y-millennials/
Wow.... these are not young kids, these are adults from 24-39!!!

How can something so impact as WWII, and the horrors of the Holocaust, the Japanese treatment of others, the internment of Japanese in the USA, the millions that died in the Soviet Holodomor, all 20th Century occurrences, not be common knowledge???? Not to mention I suppose they never heard of Pol Pot.

How can these massive human tragedies be forgotten so quickly? But then, when one learns that most Americans didn't have a clue about the Tulsa massacres of blacks, maybe one should not be surprised. How does one change that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies