Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2020, 07:01 AM

9,908 posts, read 9,579,736 times

Advertisements

I saw on the news last light that Minneaplis is going to defund the police, and disband them

did I hear right???

Is Minneapolis actually going to get rid of all of their policemen??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2020, 07:05 AM

14,215 posts, read 4,586,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
I saw on the news last light that Minneaplis is going to defund the police, and disband them

did I hear right???

Is Minneapolis actually going to get rid of all of their policemen??
I highly doubt it. A city with almost half a million people cannot function without a police force. Not to mention businesses will move out of the city if they don’t receive police services.

Most likely Minneapolis will abolish their city police force and negotiate a contract with county Sheriff for police services. That’s what happened to Compton, CA in the 90s

Old 06-08-2020, 07:12 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
hehe

https://twitter.com/emzanotti/status...05922962018305

Old 06-08-2020, 07:15 AM

7,300 posts, read 3,394,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
LOL.

As Captain Obvious (for a moment), I will offer that the "defund the Police" people should make a permanent commitment to never call the Police again.

Old 06-08-2020, 12:28 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Not to worry, the current Commander-in-Chief will send in the military. Be careful of what you ask for.

Old 06-08-2020, 12:43 PM

4,067 posts, read 2,272,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Not to worry, the current Commander-in-Chief will send in the military. Be careful of what you ask for.
I guess you would rather the criminals take over???

Old 06-08-2020, 12:48 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Perhaps they're saying defend the police. People from Minnesota talk funny.

Old 06-12-2020, 08:05 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Criminals and social workers.

“I’m sorry you got brutally raped, I’m here to make you feel better”
Heck, the Cops raped a lot of the teens in one of our local towns. Not brutally tho. In this case they basically found pot on teens and the teens could avoid being arrested if they put out.

Maybe it's not rape since it's consensual at that point? A trade?

Realistically, how many bonafide rapes do the Police terminate? Are there statistics on this?
https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/19/us/po...ope/index.html

I would think good citizens and family, etc. end up stopping more than LE.

I'll tell you what I would like. Small towns I have lived in did fine with no police for many decades. Once in a while we'd call the State Police at a barracks 10 miles away.

Next thing you know they have 52 Police...many who seem to be living lifestyles of the rich and famous (way above their pay grade) and a new "Taj Mahal" HQ and forever pensions. The Chiefs make sure to give up their positions early so others can get that big pension too.

There is still no crime. They basically had to spend time on the following:
1. Arrests on the highway though the end of town - for driving while black.
2. Finding kids somewhere in the town during school days and hassling them.
3. Busting parties on weekend nights.
4. SRO going to visit parents (like me) and telling us it was heard that maybe our teen smoked pot.

That's really about it. Think about it - 52 sworn officers, many who took SWAT and FBI training, a mobile command center, every weapon in the book, etc.

That town was a bigger than my current town which doesn't need Police at all (but, of course, has started and grown). The first town could have gotten by with 15-20 easily.

Old 06-12-2020, 08:06 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
I do think if there was a national shift in how we police it could help our communities and perhaps be a more effective way to police.

The point is that when there is a social issue causing crime or problems in a community, throwing police in there to use force to mitigate the problem does nothing to solve the problem -- it just 'polices' it.

So if the focus shifts from policing the problems to solving the problems there might be a shift.

Old 06-12-2020, 08:08 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
I guess you would rather the criminals take over???
The Criminals are already in charge. I'd rather the good people take over.

Police work for the Politicians who all work for the guys who are giving away Trillions of dollars now...and won't tell us who they are giving it to.

Sure, that is a generalization. We need LE of some type. We don't need armed confrontations for checking a seat belt or even for a broken tail light. We don't need license plates run just for the fun of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies