Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2020, 04:57 PM

3,771 posts, read 1,523,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
The war on drugs is a pretty big hurdle to overcome. Yes blacks individually strive despite the war on drugs. But the war on drugs is meant to keep the ghettos in the shape they are. It's certainly not there to elevate people.

And I say this a successful black man with a 20 year career in STEM. Never been on drugs, never been to jail, never had any issues with the law. And I was able to individually overcome my obstacles because I grew up in this environment.

But because I came from this, I also see the impact of the war on drugs and how its is only around to bury people in these communities. My father, who recently passed struggled to make any money. He was highly intelligent. But he got caught up with the drug war early in his life. And it became a monkey on his back. By the time he came around he was old, worn down and beat up.

If the war on drugs hadn't existed my father would be among the richest and smartest. But when you have a system that artificially turns communities into criminals. You have an uphill battle.

Bow you can say I'm blaming someone. But the playing field here isn't even. If you aren't raised in this environment you have an advantage. And it's not about being poor, its about being a target, an easy scapegoat to demonize as you keep rationalizing your multi trillion dollar failure of a war.
so what you're saying is you're a special case?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2020, 05:03 PM

2,102 posts, read 1,003,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
If you have to ask who 'you people' refers to then you obviously believe that it applies to you.

Also, 'you people' voted for Donald Trump so you forfeit your right to question anyone's voting choices.
Hey Poppy (I guess that's legal in Cali now too, and explains a lot),

Instead of spewing TDS BS, why don't YOU address the issue of the RESPONSIBILITY of the Black Community taking control of its own circumstances? THEY, not ('you people'), vote for THEIR leaders, most significantly THEIR local city and state politicians who should carry out the policies that THEY elected them to do.

You've posted on CD several times that "Integration was a mistake", so why don't YOU take ownership of the problems of the Black Community, and not deflect them upon 'you people'? That's racist and irresponsible!

I ('you people') did not vote for the Democrats that are keeping blacks in 'Systematic Victimization'. And WTF does Donald Trump have to do with the Victimization Game that the Democrats are perpetuating upon them! He's done more for Blacks since LBJ, certainly more than Barry promised.

DEMOCRATS HAVE DONE NOTHING TO IMPROVE THE LIVES OF BLACKS!

Old 06-11-2020, 05:12 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,527,774 times
Again with the (ass)umptions

1) Not in CA
2) Not a Democrat
3) Integration was a mistake however I take advantage of every opportunity afforded to me

Ugh, you people are so predictable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
Hey Poppy (I guess that's legal in Cali now too, and explains a lot),

Instead of spewing TDS BS, why don't YOU address the issue of the RESPONSIBILITY of the Black Community taking control of its own circumstances? THEY, not ('you people'), vote for THEIR leaders, most significantly THEIR local city and state politicians who should carry out the policies that THEY elected them to do.

You've posted on CD several times that "Integration was a mistake", so why don't YOU take ownership of the problems of the Black Community, and not deflect them upon 'you people'? That's racist and irresponsible!

I ('you people') did not vote for the Democrats that are keeping blacks in 'Systematic Victimization'. And WTF does Donald Trump have to do with the Victimization Game that the Democrats are perpetuating upon them! He's done more for Blacks since LBJ, certainly more than Barry promised.

DEMOCRATS HAVE DONE NOTHING TO IMPROVE THE LIVES OF BLACKS!

Old 06-11-2020, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Again with the (ass)umptions

1) Not in CA
2) Not a Democrat
3) Integration was a mistake however I take advantage of every opportunity afforded to me

Ugh, you people are so predictable

Still did not answer the pertinent question - why doesn't the Black Community take control of its own circumstances... you just deflect and spew ad hominems. Racist, elitist, ignorant and weak Liberal!

'YOU people' are soooo predicable... because you got NOTHIN!!!

Old 06-11-2020, 05:56 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,587,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
so what you're saying is you're a special case?
No. I'm not a special case. But also keep in mind even growing in the ghetto, I was sheltered from most people around my community. I was taken to camps regularly and moved from my hometown as a young teen. And that was only because my mother worked for a large corporation and got a transfer.

I'm just saying that not everyone gets the chance to escape. People are stuck with the environment they're in. And even if people in the community wanted to make it better, they can't because of the pressure from the War On Drugs.

There have been many great business men who have made millions in the drug trade. Tried to make a legit business. Only to get shut down by the government.

Even gang leaders in the 80s tried to make their criminal enterprises legit and some have tried to get into government. But the FBI just goes and lock them up, even when their presence create stability and less violence.

Chicago is so bad now because many leaders have died in jail or have been arrested. Leading to no leadership among the gangs and now they're are just violent youngsters with no business sense.

The war on drugs punishes the the smartest in the black community. And if you want to have any chance of being great you essentially have to leave the ghetto. You're not allowed to bring it up, because the CIA and FBI will just accuse you of being some gang leader and find some reason to throw you in jail.

Old 06-11-2020, 06:56 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,587,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
That would help the dealers, but not the addicts. Also, now that marijuana is legal, there are chain stores popping up everywhere that are taking the biz away from illegal dealers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
I'm not a proponent of the war on drugs, but I'm also not stupid enough to engage in illegal activities regardless of what my moral stance is. at least not when it comes to something that carries such a high penalty. to some, I guess the risk is worth the reward.

What's the other option. Be broke? Some people don't have the funds to leave the hood. Some are stuck there. So either work some dead end job, which most black people do. Or make several thousands in a short time by dealing drugs. And yeah there is risk/reward associated with it. I'd argue that people with the personality to deal drugs illegally probably could make very good investors who have a high risk tolerance. Dealing drugs is a skill. It's just a skill that the government deems a bad one.

If drugs were legal the black american ghettos would be some of the best neighborhoods in the country. They would be endless wealth.

This is why legalizing drugs is the solution. It was the same for the Italians and the Irish.

Old 06-12-2020, 12:03 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Republicans don't force anyone to use or sell drugs.

Would America be better if it legalized drugs like the Netherlands? Yes. Does that give you an excuse to break the law? No.

And how did Republicans fail black people if we black people never voted for Republicans to represent us? The social mobility of blacks fails strictly on Democrats, which is ironic as Democrats are the party of Slavery, KKK, and Jim Crow.
Actually, I believe it is our duty to break these laws!

They are rooted in pure racism, in fact, they are the ONLY group of laws still in force today, that were created specifically to target certain minorities. Its time for those laws to GO, they should have been abolished decades ago.

Would you encourage minorities to obey laws that tell them where they can sit in a restaurant, or which bathroom they can use? OF course not, so why should anyone obey other racist laws?

The civil rights fight is a good example of what Im talking about too, PLENTY of good white people, decided to break those Jim Crow laws, and many secretly helped organize the Underground railroad, others housed blacks that were making their way north...these were serious crimes they were committing...but they knew it was wrong to comply with the laws.

Old 06-13-2020, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Actually, I believe it is our duty to break these [drug] laws! They are rooted in pure racism, in fact, they are the ONLY group of laws still in force today, that were created specifically to target certain minorities. Its time for those laws to GO, they should have been abolished decades ago.
Since CHAZ has announced its autonomy, immune to all US laws, I wonder if the current experiment that is CHAZ will reveal anything about what you are proposing:

Does CHAZ tolerate all forms of drugs?

Does CHAZ tax(get a piece of the action) of drug transactions?

Are drugs expected to be shared equally within its community?

Is CHAZ prepared to deal with health emergencies: overdoses, heart attacks, deaths, etc.?

Does CHAZ place the responsibility for drug use on the individual and hold that individual accountable for the consequences of using: violence, inability to contribute to society, financial ruin, unwanted pregnancies, etc.?

I guess we will see how it works out for them.

Old 06-13-2020, 01:49 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
Mayors are the head of a city’s government. He/she, along with a City Council, are elected by the citizens of that city and are given authority by the State Constitution and State laws to make local laws regarding economic development, housing, education, public health, transportation, and the police.

It has become very apparent that the policies and leadership of cities with Democrats at the helm are the ones that have the most problems with all the responsibilities that their citizens elected them to perform. But do these citizens hold their elected officials accountable? Apparently not!

Detroit is a great example, but let’s look at the city at the heart of our current crisis. Minneapolis, where George Floyd was killed, has had a Democrat as mayor since the middle of the last century! Since 1945 only two of the 14 mayors have been Republican. The last, not including Richard M. Erdall who served only ONE day, being P. Kenneth Peterson elected in 1957.

The Minneapolis City Council, the legislative branch of the city, has 13 members, 12 of whom are Democrats. NOT ONE Republican.

In Minneapolis black families own their homes at far lower rates than white families, among the lowest in the country. Although minorities represent about 22 percent of the Twin Cities metro’s population, minority-owned businesses represent just 7 percent of all employer firms. And in August 2017 the City Council voted against raising the minimum wage.

Education is a major problem in Minneapolis. Its public schools consistently report low test scores, and the added chronic problems of unruly behavior and lack of discipline have driven thousands of students to charter schools and neighboring school districts. The city is ranked very low on education for POC, and has the fourth lowest graduation rate for black students in the nation! There are even billboards announcing Minnesota schools as the worst in the nation for students of color.

Did I mention that the Governor of Minnesota, Tim Waltz, is a Democrat? And his predecessor was a Democrat. They have allowed less than 1% of the State's public spending to black-owned businesses!

The city’s predominantly white police force, which has been accused of racist practices for decades, rarely disciplines officers with troubled records which is DIRECTLY RESPONSIBLE for the death of George Floyd. Derek Chauvin, the bad cop, faced at least 18 misconduct complaints, none of which derailed his career with the Minneapolis Police Department.

THIS IS ENTIRELY THE FAULT OF THE DEMOCRATIC MAYOR AND CITY COUNCIL OF MINNEAPOLIS!!!

So when is the Black Community going to hold their leaders, black AND white, accountable for its failings which came to a boiling point last week?

After all the white men are eradicated...

Wait. That’s Africa.

Never mind.

Old 06-13-2020, 02:25 PM

25,729 posts, read 12,800,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Blame Republicans for this one. War On Drugs took way more fathers out of the home, than the welfare state. Seems like both parties have failed black people.
Blame JOE BIDEN who wrote the 1994 crime bill, which the NYT's says caused "mass incarceration" and "racial injustice"

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/22/u...ntial-bid.html

The NYT's states that anyone involved with this bill will have a very difficult time trying to become President in the future...well Joe Biden wasn't just involved with it, Biden WROTE the whole darned thing!

Joe wasnt just wrong on China, and exporting millions of good manufacturing jobs to China, Joe was also wrong on the War on Drugs.

Hold Joe accountable, vote to re-elect Donald Trump instead of wrong way Joe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies