Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2020, 05:34 AM

27,226 posts, read 13,514,577 times

Advertisements

Pompeo was being investigated for illegal arms deals and misuse of staffers until recently when the investigation was shut down shut down, due to Steve Linick, the State Department Inspector General being fired.

Trump and his lawyers are also arguing in the Supreme Court that article II and the supremacy clause, means not only that the president cannot be indicted or put on trial for committing a crime, but also that he cannot be subject to any criminal investigation during his term in office.

Donald Trump brings his claim of absolute power to the supreme court - The Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guardian

The government watchdog who was fired last week had been investigating the secretary of state, Mike Pompeo, for sidestepping Congress to approve arms sales to the Gulf and using staffers for personal errands, according to congressional sources.

Donald Trump declared his intention to fire the state department inspector general, Steve Linick, in a letter sent to the House speaker, Nancy Pelosi, late on Friday night.

The White House said the decision was taken at Pompeo’s advice.

Congress has 30 days to investigate the decision, but the Senate has so far declined to intervene in a string of dismissals of officials in watchdog roles, as Trump has steadily dismantled the machinery of government oversight.

Watchdog was investigating Pompeo for arms deal and staff misuse before firing - The Guardian

Last edited by Brave New World; 05-19-2020 at 06:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2020, 05:47 AM

57,369 posts, read 26,285,929 times
The arms deal with Saudi Arabia and UAE was blocked because some of those weapons ended up killing women and children in Yemen. Pompeo declared an emergency last year because of Iran's actions in the ME, I guess any excuse will do. Now Raytheon can get back to the serious business of supplying arms to SA to kill innocent people in Yemen.

I would rather that Pompeo would walk his own dog rather than spend time making up emergencies.

Old 05-19-2020, 05:56 AM

20,165 posts, read 9,060,402 times
Obama sold 115 billion dollars in military equipment to the Saudi's and Dems are whining about this? stone stupid....

Old 05-19-2020, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The arms deal with Saudi Arabia and UAE was blocked because some of those weapons ended up killing women and children in Yemen. Pompeo declared an emergency last year because of Iran's actions in the ME, I guess any excuse will do. Now Raytheon can get back to the serious business of supplying arms to SA to kill innocent people in Yemen.

I would rather that Pompeo would walk his own dog rather than spend time making up emergencies.
I find the blocking of investigations and the use of lawyers by this US administration without precedence, and the fact they are now virtually stating that the President and his ctonies are above the law is worrying not just for the US but for the entire world.

Whsatever happened to investigations, checks and balances and good old accountability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Obama sold 115 billion dollars in military equipment to the Saudi's and Dems are whining about this? stone stupid....
All US Presidents and the US Government as a whole should be accountable to the American People who are their masters and who they claim to serve.

I am all for investigations in to any administration that has committed wring doing whether Trump or Obama, as all shoiuld be answerable to the American people.

Old 05-19-2020, 05:59 AM

59,216 posts, read 27,403,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Pompeo was being investigated for illegal arms deals and misuse of staffers until recently when the investigation was shut down shut down, due to Steve Linick, the State Department Inspector General being fired.

Trump and his lawyers are also arguing in the Supreme Court thatarticle II and the supremacy clause, means not only that the president cannot be indicted or put on trial for committing a crime, but also that he cannot be subject to any criminal investigation during his term in office.

Donald Trump brings his claim of absolute power to the supreme court - The Guardian
Sorry won't open sites that won't let you read what they say unless ypu agree to their conditions.

I guess you can't find enough trash said about Trump from our left libel press, so you have to go to England.

Anyway, I consider the source and it is biased.

"The Guardian media bias rating is Lean Left.

The Guardian is believed to have a lean left bias, in accordance with a features editor's assertion in 2004 that "it is no secret we are a centre-left newspaper."

https://www.allsides.com/news-source/guardian

TDS is truly a mental disease!

Old 05-19-2020, 06:33 AM

Quote:
But, but Obama...

Yes we sell arms to a number of countries but when congress blocks sale to a country because of their misuse we should have a good reason for a release. The Iran excuse was weak.

Old 05-19-2020, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Sorry won't open sites that won't let you read what they say unless ypu agree to their conditions.

I guess you can't find enough trash said about Trump from our left libel press, so you have to go to England.

The Guardian is believed to have a lean left bias, in accordance with a features editor's assertion in 2004 that "it is no secret we are a centre-left newspaper."

You can find the story a number of places, I'm hoping for more of a discussion than "TDS" or "left leaning".

Quote:
WASHINGTON — The State Department inspector general fired by President Trump on Friday was in the final stages of an investigation into whether the administration had unlawfully declared an “emergency” last year to allow the resumption of weapons sales to Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates for their air war in Yemen.

Employees from the office of the inspector general, Steve A. Linick, presented preliminary findings to senior State Department officials in early March, before the coronavirus forced lockdowns across the United States. But it was not clear whether that investigation, or others that Mr. Linick had underway, led to his dismissal.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/18/u...al-firing.html

Old 05-19-2020, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post

If you want a US mediua outlet then so be it, and it's a Court case they are reporting on, so I am not sure how the media is being biased.

Trump ignores Constitution in assertion that his 'authority is total' - Washington Post

Trump's Lawyers Say He Should Be Immune From Prosecution During Historic Supreme Court Battle - Forbes

The Supreme Court Confronts Trump's Challenge to the Separation of Powers - New Yorker

The Supreme Court hears the biggest presidential immunity cases since Nixon - Vox

Trump Says a Sitting President Can't Be Investigated. Will the Supreme Court Tell Him He's Wrong? - Newsweek

Then again law papers and legal blogs are also following the case.

Supreme Court Oral Argument Preview: Trump Financial Documents Cases - LawFare

Last edited by Brave New World; 05-19-2020 at 07:00 AM..

Old 05-19-2020, 06:44 AM

989 posts, read 457,160 times
Quote:
Why do you keep bringing this false equivalency up. Obama didn't circumvent Congress. All administrations make security assistance sales, with the approval of Congress, of military weapons to foreign countries. That's not the issue here with Pompeo. He was trying to sell weaponry he knew Congress would likely disapprove due to the continuing degradation of Saudi "behavior." Not to mention the personal ethics he was violating in his position.

But you go on and support circumventing the process in order to bolster Saudi with NO oversight. We know where you stand. You've been clear on many threads that you defend "cowboy" weapons sales without the traditional checks and balances that has historically been the case.

Last edited by ToyVW55; 05-19-2020 at 07:08 AM..

Old 05-19-2020, 06:44 AM

35,742 posts, read 21,105,153 times
HEAR HEAR - you commoners-- stand back and bow! or OFF with your head! -- Your Royal Highness the Imperial Mr.T and his most trusted nobles have entered the palace. Proclamations from his eminence of today's decrees shall follow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies