Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2020, 09:12 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovelondon View Post
Really? Have you been outside of the US? What about Canada?

In Canada, thanks to the Quebecois, we have French-immersion public schools, publicly-funded Catholic schools (any other publicly-funded religious schools are not allowed), French as an official language, French-only universities, French-speaking organizations, French-speaking TV channels, Scholarships and bursaries only open to French-speaking students, etc.

But then, so what?
French Immersion Schools here in BC exist because of demand.

Independent/Private schools in BC get some government funding, depends on type etc. This include any religious school, not just catholic.

French speaking etc...um, ya, when millions of people speak french and live in french, what do you expect? How much Canadian/Canadien history have you read?

Each province will vary.

Old 06-11-2020, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You don't actually have publicly funded religious schools for Catholics only today because of the Québécois. That's an Ontario thing. Quebec doesn't even have that.

The rest is pretty accurate, though. At least in the sense that it exists because of Quebec's uniqueness. Whether or not it is ignominous or out of line is another story.
Here is a list of provincial funding for different provinces.

https://www.ourkids.net/school/provi...rivate-schools

Old 06-11-2020, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser Brody View Post
Only in America can an ethnic group, MINE, have Black Awareness Month, A Black Holiday, Black Colleges, Black Dating Sites, Black Bars & Clubs, Black Business Initiatives, Black Quotas and then turn around and call everyone else racist.

Think about it. So many special things just for my community and yet we claim everyone else is the problem.
Special?

All sorts of groups have " special " clubs etc. The difference with some of yours is necessity. As long as their is prejudice and a bias against black people, you need those " special " groups IMO

Old 06-11-2020, 10:07 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
Only in America can an ethnic group, MINE, have Black Awareness Month, A Black Holiday, Black Colleges, Black Dating Sites, Black Bars & Clubs, Black Business Initiatives, Black Quotas and then turn around and call everyone else racist.

Think about it. So many special things just for my community and yet we claim everyone else is the problem.
These same thoughts have wandered across my consciousness. And these types of racially exclusive programs, time slots, funds what have you where race is specifically mentioned in title are exclusive only to Black.as a race.

There is no Asian history month for example. Its been this way for a long time. Other people of other colors besides Blacks have suffered horrible wrongs, contributed more than a fair share to our history and risen above harsh adversity to achieve equality and status in the nation.

Yet Blacks are the only ones with singular and race specific title to so many things. Another seemingly small but noticeable trend with this has been in films.

The remaking of certain characters from older TV shows and movies where the protagonist character is White and making them Black. Such as The Wild Wild West, The Magnificent 7 and to many others to list.

The new version of The Magnificent 7 did have a new Asian character and an American Indian as well but such inclusion of other races this way is rare compared to Black substitution.

And movies such as Django Unchained raise my eyebrows from a historical perspective. Though I did enjoy the latter film and it was FAR above others of its type. Specifically that absolute waste of time with Mario Van Peebles, Posse.

The latter was truly a disgusting attempt at platitudes toward Black people. Fusing modern Black gang culture into so called historical fiction. I had to shut this movie off far before the end. And I recall it getting some good reviews from critics.

Yes, I totally get what your saying. Just as all this White guilt stuff, kneeling and asking for absolution, washing of feet, wrapping themselves in chains and self flagellating, embarrasses me as a White person your topic here embarrasses you as a Black person.

As if as a Black person you are unable to achieve in life unless special provisions are put in place to elevate Black people. I.e. singular recognition via such things as Black history month.

As if those aspects of history will be ignored and unrecognized otherwise. Hell old as I am we studied people like George Washington Carver, Booker T Washington, Frederick Douglass, the contributions of the men of the 10th and 11th cavalry and 54th Massachusetts infantry, the Tuskegee Airmen and many other groups and individuals.

Black history was hardly forgotten before Black history month came along. So, yeah. I do understand your frustration.

Old 06-12-2020, 08:00 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Here is a list of provincial funding for different provinces.

https://www.ourkids.net/school/provi...rivate-schools
Ontario is different though.

Its Catholic schools are not private. They are a free public system that exists in parallel to the totally non-confessional public school system.

It is an odd historical (actually constitutional) quirk that allows Catholics to have this but no other religion can have it.

Old 06-12-2020, 08:02 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Quote:

USA isn't the only country with those groups

Old 06-12-2020, 08:05 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You don't actually have publicly funded religious schools for Catholics only today because of the Québécois. That's an Ontario thing. Quebec doesn't even have that.

The rest is pretty accurate, though. At least in the sense that it exists because of Quebec's uniqueness. Whether or not it is ignominous or out of line is another story.
It's a little different given that the French were some of the first to settle here.

My heritage is French Canadian . My ancestors landed on the shores in Quebec in 1613.....French should be an official language.

It isn't the same at all.

But in Canada there are the same black issues/community groups.

Old 06-12-2020, 08:13 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
It's a little different given that the French were some of the first to settle here.

My heritage is French Canadian . My ancestors landed on the shores in Quebec in 1613.....French should be an official language.

It isn't the same at all.

Yes in this part of the world all of the trappings of a society were set up in French centuries ago and all of that still exists today.

There were even what was equivalent to universities (for the era) operating in French in the late 1600s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies