Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2020, 02:39 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,547,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Why am I burdened, as a black person who does not steal, when a white person who does not steal is not burdened in regards to purchasing hair care products? Why is it that I have to carry this burden when I am black and not a thief?. Maybe lock up all hair care products so whites who don’t steal will face the same burden as blacks who do not steal. Do you have a problem with that?

We're burdened with our own ish that gets stolen. Electric toothbrushes and toothbrush heads, razors, I think some skincare products are locked up, as well as cologne.

We all have stuff that gets stolen. Yours is hair care products and ours is other stuff. I don't get why you should feel targeted when none of the rest of us are whining about having to locate a clerk to open the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2020, 03:17 PM

19,167 posts, read 16,588,865 times
Thanks mods for merging these threads. I didn't know there was another thread. It's been an interesting read so thanks

Old 06-12-2020, 03:24 PM

19,167 posts, read 16,588,865 times
Quote:
Why am I burdened, as a black person who does not steal, when a white person who does not steal is not burdened in regards to purchasing hair care products? Why is it that I have to carry this burden when I am black and not a thief?. Maybe lock up all hair care products so whites who don’t steal will face the same burden as blacks who do not steal. Do you have a problem with that?
You're right about it not being right. I'm not a black woman but I have to deal with the same thing. The products I use are also under lock and key at the store. Sometimes I can't find a clerk to open them for me so I end up walking away. It's a pia.

Whether we like it or not, even people like you and I who don't steal are considered suspect because everyone is suspect nowadays. I don't take it personally. And why? Because I know I'm not a thief. So I just consider it one of the consequences of living in our current society where everyone is questionable until they aren't.

Old 06-12-2020, 03:25 PM

39,810 posts, read 26,408,051 times
You know the one thing I don't see being "locked up"-in either black or white neighborhoods?

Work boots.

Old 06-12-2020, 03:27 PM

11,143 posts, read 7,909,367 times
Maybe they’re just trying to keep the evil white people from culturally appropriating African American hair care products.

Old 06-12-2020, 03:35 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,677,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
We're burdened with our own ish that gets stolen. Electric toothbrushes and toothbrush heads, razors, I think some skincare products are locked up, as well as cologne.

We all have stuff that gets stolen. Yours is hair care products and ours is other stuff. I don't get why you should feel targeted when none of the rest of us are whining about having to locate a clerk to open the case.
Why do you keep ignoring that I also use the things that are locked up that you want? Locking those things up locks out all the races. Locking black hair care products up only locks out blacks.

Old 06-12-2020, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
You're right about it not being right. I'm not a black woman but I have to deal with the same thing. The products I use are also under lock and key at the store. Sometimes I can't find a clerk to open them for me so I end up walking away. It's a pia.

Whether we like it or not, even people like you and I who don't steal are considered suspect because everyone is suspect nowadays. I don't take it personally. And why? Because I know I'm not a thief. So I just consider it one of the consequences of living in our current society where everyone is questionable until they aren't.
I am not a black women either. I am a black man. Black men use black hair care products too. Again, and its not about who is locked out exclusively. I am saying that blacks are burdened MORE than others. No one is saying that no other race is not burdened. This is about degrees. Inequity is caused and preserved by degrees of difference in treatment, not whether others do not experience the same things. Not experiencing it to the same degree creates inequality, as well as, preserves it.

Old 06-12-2020, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Why do you keep ignoring that I also use the things that are locked up that you want? Locking those things up locks out all the races. Locking black hair care products up only locks out blacks.
What part of theft control do you not understand? Neither of us steals. Okay, but obviously there are enough people who do steal that has created this problem for both of us.

You whine about it and say it's racist and I say, 'oh well - it's sad that people stoop so low and I understand the store has to do what they have to do.'

You honestly think they're targeting black people with this? They're trying to reduce theft.

Old 06-12-2020, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
What part of theft control do you not understand? Neither of us steals. Okay, but obviously there are enough people who do steal that has created this problem for both of us.

You whine about it and say it's racist and I say, 'oh well - it's sad that people stoop so low and I understand the store has to do what they have to do.'

You honestly think they're targeting black people with this? They're trying to reduce theft.
I understand theft prevention fine. I also understand discrimination fine. LOCK UP ALL HAIR CARE PRODUCTS!!!!!. Firs off, don't segregate the products by race. If you did not segregate the products by race, you could not just lock up the stuff that black people buy that gets stolen. Lock up ALL hair care items in one common display.

Well...following that logic that whites who are not racist DESERVE to be burdened by the cost left to bear by past and present whites who were racist. Instead of blaming blacks for looking at you for being racist when you are not, blame the past and present racist whites for that.

I just wanted to see who would make that argument for me, when the shoe is on the other foot. Whites commonly say "I never owned a slave". "I am not racist". Well, we all have to carry burdens of our peoples, is what I am hearing you say.

Its not racist to to treat all whites as racist because some whites are racist.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 06-12-2020 at 04:09 PM..

Old 06-12-2020, 03:55 PM

Quote:
I understand theft prevention fine. I also understand discrimination fine. LOCK UP ALL HAIR CARE PRODUCTS!!!!!. Firs off, don't segregate the products by race. If you did not segregate the products by race, you could not just lock up the stuff that black people buy that gets stolen. Lock up ALL hair care items in one common display.
There's a lot of work behind how things are separated in stores. Some stores want the whole line placed together - shampoo, conditioner, mousse, hairspray for their brand / line within the brand, and other stores want them separated by subcategory - shampoo's all together regardless of brand, then conditioners, etc.
So either way they do it, it's going to be separated somehow. Data is collected on this to see which stores do better with sales in this regard, so it's very purposefully done.

You either live in an area that is primarily black or where hair care products for black people have a high theft rate. Thus, they're locked up.

Don't blame racism, blame black folks for stealing **** and causing you to be inconvenienced. That's how I feel with things that are locked up in my community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies