Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2020, 12:31 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
And how does that work? How does the "school" know the level of education the parents have? Are you saying teachers just ignore children of uneducated parents? How exactly is that set up in every public school in the US?

It does not, and neither it really should.

Everything should be put in writing, in standard textbooks, so that the access to THE SAME KNOWLEDGE, to the SAME LEVEL OF INFORMATION would be given to each and every child out there EQUALLY, and not depending on what zip code school every child goes to.

And parents have to be able to see what kind of things their child studied at any given day, what lesson # they are on, what has been learned, and where their child is at, comparably to other children from the first grade on.

This valuable system is notably absent in American public schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2020, 12:32 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,320,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Shall we talk aid for college?

Grants for Minority Students
We need to remove the road blocks to education for all kids.

Old 06-10-2020, 12:36 PM

Now to address the OP question

"How To End White Privilege" -

the only way it can be answered is in finding the reason why/how it started to begin with.
Unless the source of it can be identified and addressed, there can be no solution found.

Old 06-10-2020, 12:37 PM

89,000 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
how about parents actually being involved in their childrens education?
that would go a lot further than bringing under performing students that will only serve to drag down the good schools.
Look at the Washington, DC Schools academic achievement by race chart I posted. Same school district; HUGE racial academic achievement gaps. You seem to be implying that Black parents take the least interest in their children's education, by far. Couldn't that easily be perceived as racist?

Old 06-10-2020, 12:43 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,713,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
You can be "involved" all you want, however American system of education in schools is specifically set in such way, that only if parents are well-educated themselves, their child will be educated too.
If parents are uneducated, the school won't give anything of value/will leave that child behind.
I understand your point that this certainly CAN be true, but it's sure not ALWAYS true. My parents had five kids. My dad is a HS graduate, my mom never graduated from HS...we're a little unsure how far she got, because I think she was always embarrassed about it...so it was never fair game to discuss. Our guess was she got to about 10th grade.

Anyway, high, but realistic expectations were present for our schooling, and all five of us went to college. It was never forced on us, but the importance of higher education was always discussed and encouraged during our growing up years. I always used to joke that I'm the "dumb" one of the bunch with a bachelors degree that I took 5 years to get. I have siblings...two with masters degrees, and two others with bachelor degrees gained in 4 years.

We grew up frugally, with few luxuries, but all we needed. A work ethic was Instilled in us big time. I remember my dad waking me up on Saturdays to get ready to go out into the garage, yard, garden or woods to do some task or another, usually a few tasks, that I usually wasn't all the excited about....lol.

It can certainly be done...it just frequently isn't by most apparently. Reading all these victim statements...I guess I was just lucky???

Old 06-10-2020, 12:43 PM

50,268 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
We need to remove the road blocks to education for all kids.
I'm all for that. Totally agree. My kids got zero aid and both ended up with some loan debt.

Old 06-10-2020, 12:58 PM

3,771 posts, read 1,523,487 times
Quote:
The way American education at schools is set in such way, that the "homework" often consists of crummy pieces of paper made on copier machine, with little or no instructions on how/what needs to be done ( and why.)

So even if you are an "involved parent," assistance doesn't do much good.

Have no idea when were you educated in American school, but that's what it is today.
middle school in the early 90's.
i figured everything out without the help or explanation from anyone. you have to realize that up until college for most (depending on what high school or college you go to), everything is dumbed down to the lowest common denominator so if you can't figure it out, then the words I would use to describe your intelligence would be non-politically correct.

Last edited by blahblahyoutoo; 06-10-2020 at 01:06 PM..

Old 06-10-2020, 01:01 PM

3,771 posts, read 1,523,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Look at the Washington, DC Schools academic achievement by race chart I posted. Same school district; HUGE racial academic achievement gaps. You seem to be implying that Black parents take the least interest in their children's education, by far. Couldn't that easily be perceived as racist?
i dunno. are facts racist?

couldn't find the chart you're referencing. link?

Old 06-10-2020, 01:02 PM

36,519 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
It does not, and neither it really should.

Everything should be put in writing, in standard textbooks, so that the access to THE SAME KNOWLEDGE, to the SAME LEVEL OF INFORMATION would be given to each and every child out there EQUALLY, and not depending on what zip code school every child goes to.

And parents have to be able to see what kind of things their child studied at any given day, what lesson # they are on, what has been learned, and where their child is at, comparably to other children from the first grade on.

This valuable system is notably absent in American public schools.
Well, text books/materials are determined by the school board, at meetings, parents and the general public are welcome to attend. Parents are also encouraged to join and attend PTA meetings.

I had two kids in public school years ago. I have been raising my grand for almost 6 years beginning from the 6th grade. Parents are given a syllabus of proposed lessons. In middle school I had to sign a folder that contained every single worksheet, assignment and test given that week. I was given a report every grading period that compared my kids grades/level to the mean scores. In high school there is a website where I can see assignments and grades for every class at any time. Email and phone numbers of teachers are provided if you wish to speak to teachers about your child's progress or whatever. As well they hold parent/teacher conferences periodically. If a parent has no idea what their child is doing in school its there own slacking.

IMO things have improved since mine were in school. I was going thru my eldest's papers, he was in HS at the time, and was concerned over some assignments/grades I saw. So I went to the school and told the secretary I would like to speak to teachers about his progress. I was told "I dont think we have to let you see his grades". I tell you that was the wrong thing to say to me. I have no recollection of several minutes immediately after but it wasnt long before the principle and his teachers were sitting down with me with grade books in hand discussing assignments, etc.

So why do you feel students do not have access to the same textbooks and knowledge and that students are not informed about assignments and grades and progress level?

Old 06-10-2020, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
I understand your point that this certainly CAN be true, but it's sure not ALWAYS true. My parents had five kids. My dad is a HS graduate, my mom never graduated from HS...we're a little unsure how far she got, because I think she was always embarrassed about it...so it was never fair game to discuss. Our guess was she got to about 10th grade.

Anyway, high, but realistic expectations were present for our schooling, and all five of us went to college. It was never forced on us, but the importance of higher education was always discussed and encouraged during our growing up years. I always used to joke that I'm the "dumb" one of the bunch with a bachelors degree that I took 5 years to get. I have siblings...two with masters degrees, and two others with bachelor degrees gained in 4 years.

We grew up frugally, with few luxuries, but all we needed. A work ethic was Instilled in us big time. I remember my dad waking me up on Saturdays to get ready to go out into the garage, yard, garden or woods to do some task or another, usually a few tasks, that I usually wasn't all the excited about....lol.

It can certainly be done...it just frequently isn't by most apparently. Reading all these victim statements...I guess I was just lucky???

I am sorry, I don't want to sound rude or abrupt, but I don't want to go into specific details of each and every individual case.

What I saw however from a get-go, as a bigger picture, is that the public school education system in the US, the way it's set, is clearly stacked against AAs.
In the same manner as I could spot right away, that the whole outlay of American cities, this "car dependency" behind them, is clearly rigged against poor Black communities ( better known as "hoods.")

With all that being said, do I think that as the result of more fair system of school education all Black children would become the *University graduates?"
Of course not, and neither this should be an outcome.

The question here is "fairness," or rather absence of it.

As I've said before, the troubles of the Black kid from ghetto start much earlier than the time when he/she can be offered any "financial aid," that some love so much to point at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies