Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2020, 05:36 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,756,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
but based on the news and some of the threads I've seen on here, many people still think in term of "Black and White" and lump all "people of color" in one group (both white racists and leftist liberals are guilty of this). And I have to admit that I had been born in 1940 America with the color of my skin, I would have been forced to live in a "colored neighborhood" with little opportunity.
Jeez, give it a rest already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2020, 05:39 PM

88,989 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
It isn’t. I think what we are seeing is old people holding onto the past and younger generations saying enough is enough.
Nope. It's still going on today. NIMBY Dems. Look at the seven cities. They're all Dem-governed and vote heavily Dem

Quote:
  • Gentrification and displacement of long-time residents was most intense in the nation’s biggest cities, and rare in most other places.
  • Gentrification was concentrated in larger cities with vibrant economies, but also appeared in smaller cities where it often impacted areas with the most amenities near central business districts.
  • Displacement of black and Hispanic residents accompanied gentrification in many places and impacted at least 135,000 people in our study period. In Washington, D.C., 20,000 black residents were displaced, and in Portland, Oregon, 13 percent of the black community was displaced over the decade.
  • Seven cities accounted for nearly half of the gentrification nationally: New York City, Los Angeles, Washington, D.C., Philadelphia, Baltimore, San Diego and Chicago.
https://ncrc.org/gentrification/

Old 06-26-2020, 05:41 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
It isn’t. I think what we are seeing is old people holding onto the past and younger generations saying enough is enough.
Really?

I would say that most people self segregate among themselves old AND young. It's not even something they always consciously decide I'd say.

In general, who are the closest circle of friends? Who are the people you tend to hang out with at school, work, etc.? Who are the people you choose to have relationships with?

I'd say in general it's of your own race/ethnicity. Whether school, work, whatever, people self segregate automatically.

Old 06-26-2020, 05:45 PM

88,989 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Really?

I would say that most people self segregate among themselves old AND young. It's not even something they always consciously decide I'd say.

In general, who are the closest circle of friends? Who are the people you tend to hang out with at school, work, etc.? Who are the people you choose to have relationships with?

I'd say in general it's of your own race/ethnicity. Whether school, work, whatever, people self segregate automatically.
That's true. Look at all the Black students' demands at US colleges/universities for Black only dorms, Black only clubs, Black only student unions, Black only graduations, etc.

Hell, even CHAZ/CHOP had a Black only garden.

Old 06-26-2020, 05:48 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,218,094 times
Quote:
but based on the news and some of the threads I've seen on here, many people still think in term of "Black and White" and lump all "people of color" in one group (both white racists and leftist liberals are guilty of this). And I have to admit that I had been born in 1940 America with the color of my skin, I would have been forced to live in a "colored neighborhood" with little opportunity.
Who lumps all people of color into one group? I know people usually do this when they pander to said groups of people, but I don’t know many people that don’t know the difference between a South Asian and South American person for instance. Maybe it’s different because I had a lot of Bengali and Pakistani friends growing up.

One of my good friends is a Muslim Indian, so I know personally know that Indians can be dark and a lot of them are high achievers. I just think you make this information out to be controversial, it may be to some white supremacists, but to most people it isn’t controversial.

That is a bad part about our history. It is likely your opportunities would’ve been limited because some d$mb@sses got hung up on skin color.

Old 06-26-2020, 05:48 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,700,644 times
Quote:
It’s great that you’re aware of that.

Old 06-26-2020, 05:53 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,206,249 times
The natural condition of man is segregation. It takes a lot of effort to "integrate" countries.

If we didn't have anti-discrimination laws this country would tear itself apart. The only reason it didn't in the past was because whites were able to subjugate blacks. But as America engaged in the Cold War, the Soviets and their communist allies in the United States agitated black resentment, who had recently migrated in huge numbers into cities, and which would have led to Civil War in the 1960's had the United States not paid blacks off.

It seems that Russian bots and Chinese misinformation, along with their communist allies in the United States, are again stirring up racial resentment, and so the Federal government, whether right or wrong, will have to make more concessions to blacks to further integrate and elevate them.

The United States, trying to maintain its sphere-of-influence in Latin-America, Africa, the Middle-East, and Asia, cannot afford to appear racist, and US corporations must also appear inclusive since they do business around the world.

I don't know how much is necessary to "appease" blacks and their communist allies in the United States. In the 1960's it was the end of segregation, affirmative-action, and welfare benefits. It seems that they want a lot more than that today.

Old 06-26-2020, 05:58 PM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Really?

I have to consider how this relates to my life. I'm Black and I don't self-segregate, at least in terms of race. I recently moved to another city. I'm not around alot of Black people, in spite of the city being 1/3 Black. I live in a 95% White area. My workplace is predominantly White. I'm fine with this. It doesn't worry me. I expect it. I work in a field where there aren't many Black people in it.

At work the persons I'm closest to most of them are White. Outside of work, the persons I see or talk to the most (it is hard to make close friends in a city where a majority of people your age are married and you're not) are White females. Truth is Covid-19 is reduced my social life.

I think about my life and it doesn't fit the self-segregation you mention.

Old 06-26-2020, 05:59 PM

62,930 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cupertino,_California
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monterey_Park,_California

Look at the demographics and see for yourself how whites are the minority there and then check out the low crime rate and extremely high school test scores!
These are Asians though. They tend to be successful. Show me a predominantly black or Latino town where those same things apply.

Old 06-26-2020, 06:01 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,756,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
It’s great that you’re aware of that.
That Indian Americans were forced to live in "colored neighborhoods" in the 1940s? It's complete BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies