Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2020, 09:59 AM

8,337 posts, read 2,963,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, consider this. As more people keeping moving about the country, some non-Whites might consider Wyoming. Cheyenne and Laramie are there. The only way to guarantee demographics don't change is to ban non-Whites from moving there. However, that is illegal and morally wrong.
That’s all obvious to most. I respect blacks that prefer their community stay black. There’s nothing wrong with that. But it seems some people have a problem minding their own business.

If you prefer to live in a mixed community nobody should be criticizing you for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2020, 10:04 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
I respect blacks that prefer their community stay black. There’s nothing wrong with that. But it seems some people have a problem minding their own business.

If you prefer to live in a mixed community nobody should be criticizing you for it.
Well, this is how I view life. Black people toiled for this country as much as anyone else. And under duress in many cases. People should be able to live and travel wherever they want. And this includes Black people. And there is something you haven't considered about me. I never grew up in a predominantly Black community. Because I'm used to being in the minority, I would move to places like Idaho and Wyoming. Pay me enough money to move somewhere and I'll go there, provided the money is worth it.

Old 06-28-2020, 10:10 AM

19,626 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Quote:
Well, this is how I view life. Black people toiled for this country as much as anyone else. And under duress in many cases. People should be able to live and travel wherever they want. And this includes Black people. And there is something you haven't considered about me. I never grew up in a predominantly Black community. Because I'm used to being in the minority, I would move to places like Idaho and Wyoming. Pay me enough money to move somewhere and I'll go there, provided the money is worth it.
That is true but anyone who moves somewhere as a distinct minority might expect to encounter some problems.

Old 06-28-2020, 10:12 AM

2,540 posts, read 1,033,877 times
Quote:
I am also a person of color and guess that most people in Wyoming would mistake me for Black if they saw me: yet I feel that as a law abiding citizen who causes no trouble, I should also have the right to travel there and even move there if I got a good job offer. I want to be judged as an individual and not a race.

Old 06-28-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
That is true but anyone who moves somewhere as a distinct minority might expect to encounter some problems.
Who does? Someone who was offered a very good job. Someone who is in the military.

Old 06-28-2020, 10:33 AM

19,626 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
I am also a person of color and guess that most people in Wyoming would mistake me for Black if they saw me: yet I feel that as a law abiding citizen who causes no trouble, I should also have the right to travel there and even move there if I got a good job offer. I want to be judged as an individual and not a race.
What you want and the reality might be two different things. You have the right to live wherever you want. Don't be surprised if you are not feeling welcome everywhere you go. Same with anyone moving to a new place, especially with a somewhat established population.

Old 06-28-2020, 10:36 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,829,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
That’s all obvious to most. I respect blacks that prefer their community stay black. There’s nothing wrong with that. But it seems some people have a problem minding their own business.

Fact: Living in a poor white community puts one at higher risk of property crimes.

Fact: Living in a poor black community puts one at higher risk of violent crimes.

When I taught in California, I used to notice the "quiet desperation" of immigrant Hispanic children forced to live in black neighborhoods. They were the ones who were anxious to absorb any knowledge that would help them escape to a better future away from their tormentors.

Old 06-28-2020, 10:36 AM

2,540 posts, read 1,033,877 times
Quote:
What you want and the reality might be two different things. You have the right to live wherever you want. Don't be surprised if you are not feeling welcome everywhere you go. Same with anyone moving to a new place, especially with a somewhat established population.
I’d still feel much safer in those all white towns than in a Black Ghetto. I took a month long road trip through the northern mountain states and stayed in some lily white towns and the only problem I had were a few odd stares: no one was openly rude to me.

Old 06-28-2020, 10:38 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,593,334 times
Quote:
There was a writer and a movie that expressed some problems one might face:

Save The Last Dance - Trailer

Old 06-28-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Fact: Living in a poor white community puts one at higher risk of property crimes.

Fact: Living in a poor black community puts one at higher risk of violent crimes.

When I taught in California, I used to notice the "quiet desperation" of immigrant Hispanic children forced to live in black neighborhoods. They were the ones who were anxious to absorb any knowledge that would help them escape to a better future.
What part of California? There's a big difference between Baldwin Hills (rich Black neighborhood in LA) and Hunters Point (the ghetto in SF).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies