Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2020, 11:28 AM

72,978 posts, read 62,563,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
They've been globalized and diversified into economic despair and drug use.
Really? Prove it. If you can say that about poor White areas, you can say the same about poor Black areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2020, 11:33 AM

6,223 posts, read 3,405,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
Why would whites want to live in places with crime and hostility?

That is true...look at the white migration from liberals run cities like Detroit and Baltimore for example. Baltimore has lost over 200K since 1940.
Quote:
Baltimore’s population has dipped below 600,000 for the first time in more than a century, according to U.S. Census estimates released Thursday.

The city’s estimated population was 593,490 as of July 1, 2019, the new data shows.
https://www.baltimoresun.com/marylan...gwi-story.html

Detroit population as dropped from nearly 2 million in 1950's to about 620K.
https://www.wxyz.com/news/detroit-sa...e-past-9-years

Old 06-28-2020, 11:36 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,868,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Really? Prove it. If you can say that about poor White areas, you can say the same about poor Black areas.
If you have a formerly quiet, black working class community fall into a "black ghetto" territory due to drugs, then you could say that and it probably has happened in such as areas as Detroit. Globalization and open borders is bad for many whites and blacks.

Old 06-28-2020, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Yeah I disagree with him. The civil rights act was passed after enough of the public was convinced by one-sided arguments it was the right thing to do, the Court had created a new interpretation of the commerce clause to make it pass constitutionality, and for political reasons. The rioting really started after it was passed in a give an inch take a mile type thing. We see that playing out till this day.
Riots that took place before the Civil Rights Act:

Birmingham, AL 1963
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birmingham_riot_of_1963

Harlem, 1935, 1943, and 1964
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harlem_riot_of_1935
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harlem_riot_of_1943

Old 06-28-2020, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Riots that took place before the Civil Rights Act:

Birmingham, AL 1963
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birmingham_riot_of_1963

Harlem, 1935, 1943, and 1964
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harlem_riot_of_1935
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harlem_riot_of_1943
Riots that happened after the 1950s and the lead up to passage of the 64 civil rights act don't really count. The placating began in the late 1940s at least. The rioting after the Civil Rights Act onward were much more grander in scale and more common.

Old 06-28-2020, 11:54 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,156,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinio...ust-ncna873556

It's worst than the 60s in many ways, only its voluntary.

White people live in communities with few to no black people, and feel uncomfortable in opposing neighborhoods.

Most of the progressives here who talk about understand black people's experiences would/could never live in a black community, most probably live in a majority white community.

If Americans don't understand one another, maybe its because they don't live or interact with one another.

Even in New York, a diverse city, the white enclaves just meters away from Harlem has almost no intra-migration.

And I don't mean buying a house in the hood, but just interacting with one another. Colonists on the frontier didn't live with the natives, but they traded and interacted with them. When does that ever happen now?

There are token people of color in every place, but that is besides the point.

And its getting more segregated, so how can you understand black people if you don't go to their stores, houses, or community centers?
Aren't blacks only 12% of the US population? So if every race was evenly distributed across our lands, blacks would be a minority presence everywhere.

Humans are tribal creatures, so yes we prefer to live closely next to people who share our culture, values and language.

Being Chinese American, having grown up in the suburbs, only speaking English. having a college education and having old fashioned moral values.... I have no desire to live next to anyone with player values, party animals, non-intellectual high school dropouts and speaking in other tongues. Consequently, I do my research, and only live in areas with middle class, college educated and old fashioned morals... and that does tend to be white majority areas. I have ended up in very white rural NH and love it here. I have zero desire to ever live in Boston or any other urban setting.

And I don't need to "understand blacks", they clearly don't understand ME and don't want to. All this disgruntled black people want is freebies and reparations, but I don't owe them anything. And it's not white privilege that is their problem, it's THEM refused to understand that they need to live more like other functioning Americans and to stop thinking that to do so is giving in to "the man" and living like an Uncle Tom aka "house n1gg@" (which btw a former black co-worker called me one a week ago).

And throwing reparation checks at slave descendants is not going to fix any of their social problems... even if our government could afford to give each of them a million dollars, they would still be broken loser human beings.

BTW I also don't live next to white trailer trash people either. It's not the colour of their skin, it's their chosen way of life and cultural values that I abhor.

And for whatever reasons, poorer areas with a majority of blacks or Hispanics, tend to be more crime-ridden, so no, I would not want to live near all of that. And with all the current social agitations, it's another reason never to live in majority black and Hispanic areas.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-28-2020 at 01:06 PM.. Reason: Off topic

Old 06-28-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Riots that happened after the 1950s and the lead up to passage of the 64 civil rights act don't really count. The placating began in the late 1940s at least. The rioting after the Civil Rights Act onward were much more grander in scale and more common.
The riot that happened in Birmingham was a part of why Kennedy and Johnson planned to pass the Civil Rights Act. Birmingham, however, was the tip of the iceberg. It has nothing to do with "give an inch, take a mile". There were alot more problems that had been ignored for years, and the riots of the 60s were the result.

Old 06-28-2020, 12:01 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,824,868 times
Quote:
This is the thing. You have made statements that indicate looking down on Blacks and having a low opinion of Blacks. At least with me, I don't have a disdain for any particular race or ethnicity. I do take alot of things personally. That is just the way I am, period.
Please cite examples of me making "statements that indicate looking down on Blacks and having a low opinion of Blacks."

I have quoted unflattering facts, and shared anecdotes about my 30+ years with Black students. You have done exactly the same thing regarding white people. Should I make the assumption that you look down on white people?

How many times have you told us about being bullied by whites? Yet when I tell similar stories, I am looking "down" on Blacks? You can't have it just your way.

After experiencing constant racism from blacks for decades, I made the decision to move away from them. For this, you see racism. I see it as self-preservation.

In spite of examples nationwide of Blacks demanding "safe spaces" away from white people you obviously don't believe white people should be allowed to have that same choice.

Old 06-28-2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
The riot that happened in Birmingham was a part of why Kennedy and Johnson planned to pass the Civil Rights Act. Birmingham, however, was the tip of the iceberg. It has nothing to do with "give an inch, take a mile". There were alot more problems that had been ignored for years, and the riots of the 60s were the result.
The more you pander and placate the more rioting you get. We have had more pandering and placating since Obama/Biden and more rioting today than ever.

Old 06-28-2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
The more you pander and placate the more rioting you get. We have had more pandering and placating since Obama/Biden and more rioting today than ever.
How would pandering cause people to riot? All I see based on what I've read, and based on relatives that I know who lived through those riots, was racism that still existed in those cities, and issues with police brutality, underfunded schools, and basically, neglect. I don't call that pandering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies