Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2020, 10:48 AM

15,053 posts, read 10,045,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Do you think the Times apologizing for the Tom Cotton op-ed and forcing the editor to resign is a good thing for our society?
Do you think that is reason enough to squash with legislature dissenting opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2020, 10:53 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,665,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Do you think that is reason enough to squash with legislature dissenting opinion?
Oh come on now, you know better than that - you are dodging the issue.

The mob is bullying opposing viewpoints into the ground by threat of marginalization in an organized and multi-level way, regardless of the constitutional right to speech which is codified.

The attack on speech is not a legislative problem, it's a social problem that can only be resolved by social awareness and will to hold such freedoms in high regard, even if the speech does not conform completely with one's viewpoint

I promise you it's possible to be disgusted at not standing during the anthem and still be a big supporter of equal minority rights

Old 06-10-2020, 10:53 AM

17,217 posts, read 12,105,930 times
Quote:
You don't even recognize the problem so there will be no reasoning with you, but in case you're actually listing the problem is the mob is ascribing corollary viewpoints to people speaking about issues with the conspiracy assumption that they are closet racists or closet "bad people", as an example

Anything that does not push the popular cause is taken to be holding it back

"You're either 100.00% with us on everything or you are the enemy and we will stamp you out in every way possible. We don't even want to hear what you have to say."
Are you unconcerned by the current government attacks on the 1st amendment? That is a much bigger issue and fundamental attack on our Constitution than "cancel culture".

Cancel culture is also an issue, yes. Even if the "mob" disagrees with someone it should offer them a route out of condemnation. But the way to solve that is more speech, advocating that no one is perfect and shouldn't have their lives destroyed for a momentary slip up. But if most people are condemning you for something, perhaps you should be examining why you think that way. Freedom of speech does not shield you from consequence from other citizen's speech. Wanting to shut that down is against free speech.

Old 06-10-2020, 10:56 AM

21,836 posts, read 9,392,417 times
It's terrible. NOW, if you don't come out in support of BLM, you are called a racist. A mom posted how her 13 year old daughter was called a racist by her best friend.

Old 06-10-2020, 11:03 AM

25,427 posts, read 9,750,911 times
Quote:
Is this current climate permanent or does this die down eventually? Right now we have a toxic environment poisoned by bullies who shout down anyone who is not 100% in lock step with the woke crowd. Any attempt to point out facts or statistics that are inconvenient are met with vitrol and calls to be marginalized.

Freedom of speech is dying in this country, and I'm not talking about freedom to be an a-hole racist. I'm talking about freedom to view things and express yourself in a way that is not 100% exactly in line with the mob holding the biggest stick.

Very disconcerting to say the least
I thought freedom of speech was under attack when Trump had the military fire on peaceful protesters.

Old 06-10-2020, 11:10 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,771,142 times
Another rightie with no understanding of the Constitution.

I guess I should stop being surprised.

19,061 posts, read 12,665,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
Another rightie with no understanding of the Constitution.

I guess I should stop being surprised.
Independent centrist, but thanks for your input

20,421 posts, read 12,341,203 times
Quote:
Do you think the Times apologizing for the Tom Cotton op-ed and forcing the editor to resign is a good thing for our society?
if you are asking a liberal that question, the answer is OF COURSE.

if you are asking an American, the answer is "of course not".

Old 06-10-2020, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Oh come on now, you know better than that - you are dodging the issue.

The mob is bullying opposing viewpoints into the ground by threat of marginalization in an organized and multi-level way, regardless of the constitutional right to speech which is codified.

The attack on speech is not a legislative problem, it's a social problem that can only be resolved by social awareness and will to hold such freedoms in high regard, even if the speech does not conform completely with one's viewpoint

I promise you it's possible to be disgusted at not standing during the anthem and still be a big supporter of equal minority rights
Its only a "societal problem" when people don't agree with you....

I understand

Old 06-10-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
It's terrible. NOW, if you don't come out in support of BLM, you are called a racist. A mom posted how her 13 year old daughter was called a racist by her best friend.
There will always be people who don't agree with you or are a bit too enthusiastic about some sort of pet movement.

My suggestion is to grow thicker skin, don't generalize, and move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies