Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2020, 01:40 AM

5,654 posts, read 6,217,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Who's burning books? This thread is about a movie. Try to stay focused.
I think the reference to burning books is to the title of the thread which is literally "The Burning of the Books Has Started By the Left."

The Left is far from clameless and has in many respects stifled right wing voices by, for example, not hosting far-right speakers on college campuses as alleged in the OP. Howeer, this is not a violation of free speech, at least in connection with private school campuses.

But I have not seen anything about the Left burning books. I have to assume the OP has no evidence ofthis despite the "click bait" title.

We do have a President that proclaims the press to t=be the "enemy of the people" and is filing suit to silence them. That is close to book burning.

Just to interject in this thread, the Constitution's right to free speech means that the GOVERNMENT shall not pass a law impeding free speech. That has been determined to have limits (e.g, not bing abkle to yell "FIRE" in a crowded theater when no fire is present) but what seems to be lost in many of these discussions is what the Constitutional right to free speech actually means. It is a prohibition on government action (within limits as noted) - it doesn't mean a speaker (Left, Right or Sideways) can force his or her speech on a private institution or media outlet or ofrce people to listen to him or her.

So, despite the OP's title referencing book burning, which s/he never addressed in the substance of the OP, "book burning" as unconstitutional censorship can occur only if required by the government, which happily I have not seen in the US in the last few years (not to say it won't happen).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2020, 01:57 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,175 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Looks like Comedy shows are also going to be cut, and we will no doubt be left with those crap left wing comedy panel shows and equally dire politically correct left wing students union type comedy.

Little Britain pulled from iPlayer and Netflix because 'times have changed' - BBC News

Then again banning things often makes them more popular, Punk being one example with groups such as the Sex Pistols being very popular despite many of their singles often not receiving much radio air play if any at all.

Old 06-11-2020, 03:14 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,087,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USC1986 View Post
No, Hitler did not remove or replace the German police. They were eventually subordinated to the SS, but the police still existed within Nazi Germany.

Oh, well that's COMPLETELY different.

Old 06-11-2020, 03:29 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,522,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
B.S conservatives are the book burners.
Really? Any examples?

You aren't conflating the religious with conservatives are you? Sure there is cross over by they aren't synonymous.

Old 06-11-2020, 03:33 AM

16,072 posts, read 6,843,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
I've always thought comparisons to Hitler and NAZI Germany were pretty outrageous in American political discussions. I don't anymore. The left (and not even the radical left) have called Trump Hitler and anyone on the right...NAZI's.

What I am seeing today, right here in the United States of America, is eerily similar to the initial efforts and successes of the Third Reich.

Evil always shares similarities called violence. It draws attention as a child throwing a tantrum.
All parents know the child will eventually wear himself out and calm down as well as the Fed is
in full knowledge that rioting and violent protesting meets the same conclusion.

True parenting requires a strong mother and father and a plan of necessary discipline if and when needed.
Do not kid yourself. History is a lesson well served to those who listen.The Federal government are fine
examples of knowledgeable historians and what makes for responsible parents.

Old 06-11-2020, 03:39 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
...i get that you're "just an old, fat, white guy"...and you feel that gives you absolution...you think this stuff just dropped out of the sky?...this has been a slow burn since the 60's...you where either too busy watching your football and attending your parades, swilling your beers down then keeping a keen eye on what 'THE LEFT' was up to then..now, you react with horror as your country is slowly taken over by the 'THE LEFT'...

...no, you carry on...
Explain what you've been busy doing since the 60's to not know about all the positive social changes this country has made since then? You talk as if things have been on pause, they haven't. We've made live better for EVERYONE. The people and politicians who profess to be helping those who are upset today have done nothing, on purpose, and yet they are still screaming about how they have to vote for Biden to keep Trump from winning again. If you don't know why that's bat shat crazy then you know nothing.

Old 06-11-2020, 03:47 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,522,852 times
Please move past the metaphor of book burning for those that are criticising it. Hitler didn't have streaming services you know. If he did, he would be doing this. It is quite simply the modern day equivalent of book burning. As you know.

Old 06-11-2020, 04:25 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
I've always thought comparisons to Hitler and NAZI Germany were pretty outrageous in American political discussions. I don't anymore. The left (and not even the radical left) have called Trump Hitler and anyone on the right...NAZI's.

Uh...who's censoring free speech? Who runs Google, Twitter, Facebook, the New York Times....95% of the FREE PRESS and such? IT'S THE LEFT.

Who are tearing down monument and statues of our history? IT'S THE LEFT

Who says now you can't watch Gone With the Wind? IT'S THE LEFT

Who says you can't have conservative speakers at colleges? IT'S THE LEFT

For most of my life, I have been fascinated by Hitler and NAZI Germany. There have been many documentaries produced recently that really delve into how he and his associates managed to brainwash an entire country. It was a remarkable campaign.

What I am seeing today, right here in the United States of America, is eerily similar to the initial efforts and successes of the Third Reich.

Yup, there are some that persist in their thinking that it simply can't happen in this country. That we have had problems before and we'll see our way through this.

That may very well have been true....in the past. Regretfully, I don't believe it to be true today.

Yup...pretty pessimistic by me. But hey I'm just an old, fat, white guy that feels like Al Bundy. What do I know?

Carry on.....

https://www.breitbart.com/entertainm...with-the-wind/

Sounds like what you should really be asking is WHY are those on the right such slackers?

But, always entertaining to see what those at BlightPhart are whining about.

Old 06-11-2020, 04:57 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,008,926 times
Quote:

Uh...who's censoring free speech? Who runs Google, Twitter, Facebook, the New York Times....95% of the FREE PRESS and such? IT'S THE LEFT.

Who are tearing down monument and statues of our history? IT'S THE LEFT

Who says now you can't watch Gone With the Wind? IT'S THE LEFT

Who says you can't have conservative speakers at colleges? IT'S THE LEFT

For most of my life, I have been fascinated by Hitler and NAZI Germany. There have been many documentaries produced recently that really delve into how he and his associates managed to brainwash an entire country. It was a remarkable campaign.

Yup, there are some that persist in their thinking that it simply can't happen in this country. That we have had problems before and we'll see our way through this.

That may very well have been true....in the past. Regretfully, I don't believe it to be true today.

Yup...pretty pessimistic by me. But hey I'm just an old, fat, white guy that feels like Al Bundy. What do I know?

Carry on.....

https://www.breitbart.com/entertainm...with-the-wind/
What books are being burned? You can download/rent Gone with the wind at Amazon, Vudu , Walmart. This is a private company who decided to momentarily take down the movie so they can add a historical context warning to the beginning.

Old 06-11-2020, 04:59 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,008,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
Please move past the metaphor of book burning for those that are criticising it. Hitler didn't have streaming services you know. If he did, he would be doing this. It is quite simply the modern day equivalent of book burning. As you know.
Hitler was the head of his political party and a goverment official. The DNC has not proposed and passed a bill doing this that would be a somewhat sane comparison although not accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies