Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2020, 01:51 PM

5,973 posts, read 2,212,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
It is just ridiculous not to show ID for voting and if you do not have an ID you can get one. If you are elderly and no longer have a drivers license then the registry should be able to verify who you are and if not them then you should be able to go to your town hall and bring some of your bills with you. If you are in a home then there are other ways to verify who you are. There is always a way to verify who you are unless you are an illegal alien that is...

We all know that there is a Presidential election coming up in November so now is the time to get your ID.

We need an ID for so many things these days and they should be required for something as important as voting.
Come on you know better than that. Every year I watch Floridians go through one hurricane after another and they are never prepared. You can watch the damn thing coming to weeks ahead of time and they’re never prepared.

People in Arizona heights of fox getting stuck in the desert without water or food because they did not prepare. I’m sure those people New the desert was hot at a minimum new the word desert means a lack of water but they don’t prepare.

Every year in the Pacific Northwest people get stuck in the woods because they don’t know where they’re going because they did not bother to prepare. It seems like common sense to ensure you are prepared to enter the woods and know your route beforehand but guess what they don’t.It seems like common sense to ensure you are prepared to enter the woods and know your route beforehand but guess what they don’t

When dealing with the public you have to assume that no one will prepare for anything because they don’t.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2020, 01:57 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,927,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
No, they don't. They want YOU to think the are not able to get an ID. Another Democrat lie.This list is long.
Actually -- there have been studies done around the world on the issue of voter ID laws and the impact on lower income minorities voting and it is a very real problem for them.

Old 06-10-2020, 01:58 PM

7,264 posts, read 4,192,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I suspect the sample survey you have on this board is not going to give you an accurate picture of reality.

Those inclined to be in the group having trouble getting the voter ID aren't likely to be spending much time on political message boards.

I personally don't know anybody impacted by voter ID Restrictions BUT I'm a white upper middle class womn who doesn't have any personal relationships with lowere income, minorities.

HEre's some info. from the ACLU - if you are indeed really curious about the reality.

https://www.aclu.org/other/oppose-vo...ion-fact-sheet

Lots of resources on line that clearly identify the issue/problems with voter ID laws for poor minorities.

I have read quite a few studies on this along with various methods use to arrive at the statistics. The question remains: where are these people who supposedly can't get the ID they need? I know from experience that statistics can be manipulated to arrive at any conclusion.

I have driven through the poorest neighborhoods and see people sitting on their porches glued to their smart phones. I have talked to black church leaders and none of them know of anyone who has trouble getting an ID or the documentation. Sure there are people who may need to update things - lawful voters - but this notion that they can't get it due to a burden of cost or time doesn't jive in reality with the published theory.

WHERE EXACTLY ARE THESE PEOPLE ? WHERE ?

Old 06-10-2020, 02:00 PM

15,801 posts, read 14,414,927 times
Fine. Issue anyone who wants one, and can provide the necessary documents to show their identity and citizenship status, a free ID that's only good for voting. Problem solved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Simply, it's a poll tax. If ID is required, it must be provided for free. To anyone, including homeless.

Old 06-10-2020, 02:05 PM

42,660 posts, read 17,842,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Simply, it's a poll tax. If ID is required, it must be provided for free. To anyone, including homeless.
Many states give you a free ID card if you don't have a driver license.

Old 06-10-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
I have read quite a few studies on this along with various methods use to arrive at the statistics. The question remains: where are these people who supposedly can't get the ID they need? I know from experience that statistics can be manipulated to arrive at any conclusion.

I have driven through the poorest neighborhoods and see people sitting on their porches glued to their smart phones. I have talked to black church leaders and none of them know of anyone who has trouble getting an ID or the documentation. Sure there are people who may need to update things - lawful voters - but this notion that they can't get it due to a burden of cost or time doesn't jive in reality with the published theory.

WHERE EXACTLY ARE THESE PEOPLE ? WHERE ?
Online is best place to read the stories of the hardship for some.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...ession/565355/

and here's a typical case.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...972_story.html

Old 06-10-2020, 02:06 PM

17,203 posts, read 12,094,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Fine. Issue anyone who wants one, and can provide the necessary documents to show their identity and citizenship status, a free ID that's only good for voting. Problem solved.
Indeed. Free should include getting copies of those necessary documents as well. When I went to go get my TSA pre-check I had to get a stamped copy of my birth certificate from the state(on the other side of the country) as I just had a xerox copy. Wasn't free. Original was never issued to me to claim I was responsible for not having it, just to my parents.

Though a physical id is also a moot point with vote by mail.

Old 06-10-2020, 02:08 PM

42,660 posts, read 17,842,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Actually -- there have been studies done around the world on the issue of voter ID laws and the impact on lower income minorities voting and it is a very real problem for them.
In those places where ID is free then they claim they cannot travel to the poll places.

Old 06-10-2020, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Many states give you a free ID card if you don't have a driver license.
YES but it isn't consistent across the country and some states are most definitely making it harder to get ID --- they will deny an elderly black person whose birth certificate might have a different spelling of their name than one of the other documents, or they might be missing one piece -- like a marriage certificate.....etc.

THat's the concern -- is not that folks have voter ID -- that if you don't drive, are elderly and poor --- it may be difficult for you to meet the stricter criteries.

Old 06-10-2020, 02:12 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,522,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
We are being told that voter ID laws are discriminatory because it burdens poor people and some minorities.

Serious question for anyone who is black, a person of color or a minority: Do you, or anyone you know who is legally able to vote - have any difficulty getting the proper info needed for an ID to vote - or physically getting the ID ? Do you mind or have a problem proving who you are when voting?

I have asked this question locally and no one knows of any - and wanted to ask a wider audience. Is this discriminatory argument a diversion to allow those who are not allowed to vote access to influence the election to support one party?
Minorities are too stupid to get a voter ID; therefore, voter ID laws are suppressing minority’s votes and are racist.

However, the gun control laws are totally cool because they purposely disarm the stupid minorities but smart white people can easily jump though all the hoops.

This is the classic racist democrats’s illogic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies