Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2020, 08:38 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,397,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
90% of people who use the confederate flag have zero ties to the "confederacy." It has become a symbol of white supremacy and white nationalists. Not about southern history. Period. And it has very little to do with the way it is being used.

In my experience, the people who are flying the confederate flag are signaling to me as a black person that they aren't safe for me, and I should avoid like the plague.
Cool cool.... are you ready for people to assign meaning to your symbols and deprive you of them based on their felt justification for their hostility toward you?

What's good for the goose is always good for the gander. Which is the basic principle behind respecting and preserving freedom of expression in the United States of America.

You should avoid them. They feel similarly about many of your people, for similar reasons. Still not a good enough reason to misunderstand America's pillars and support damaging one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2020, 08:41 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,781,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
Forcefully depriving people of their cultural symbols, based on the meaning that their critics and enemies assign to those symbols, definitely makes those super powerful people (who can't even hold onto a flag at-will) more tolerant.

But just imagine all of the Black NASCAR fans that will no long.......wait a sec....
Cultural symbols? That’s been debunked on half a dozen other threads but here you are trotting it out again.
Unfortunately for you, you and your ilk will be remembered for being on the wrong side of history.

Old 06-10-2020, 08:42 PM

6,752 posts, read 3,367,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
90% of people who use the confederate flag have zero ties to the "confederacy." It has become a symbol of white supremacy and white nationalists. Not about southern history. Period. And it has very little to do with the way it is being used.

In my experience, the people who are flying the confederate flag are signaling to me as a black person that they aren't safe for me, and I should avoid like the plague.
But here's the thing …. whether we like it or not, people burn the American flag in protest of whatever their cause du jour is. If someone objects, they call it freedom of expression and we just have to put up with it.

By the same token, the left objects to the Confederate flag waving yahoos because they're offended. Well, like it or not waving that flag is freedom of expression, too. You can feel any way you want to feel, but you can't have it both ways. What's good for the goose is good for the gander, as much as we may not like it.

Old 06-10-2020, 08:54 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,397,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
Cultural symbols? That’s been debunked on half a dozen other threads but here you are trotting it out again.
Unfortunately for you, you and your ilk will be remembered for being on the wrong side of history.
My "ilk" are Americans.

Is debunked the word for "baseless assertions and temper tantrums in regard to what I hate about the people I hate"?

Because you can't "debunk" a claimed cultural symbol. If it is claimed to be one, then it is one. That's how both culture and freedom of expression work.

Based on your animosity toward the people in question, its not like your so called "debunking" can be seen as objective and therefore valid. Even if it were possible, which it isn't.

I am very fortunate because I both live in the United States of America and understand its core tenets. What is unfortunate for you is that you seem to only meet one of those qualifications.

So unless you think that we will formally lose the Right to Freedom of Expression, and think that you can be long-term successful in both quashing it as it exists across millions of people and in a manner that hasn't been successful yet, then it isn't me who is on the wrong side of history.

Beyond the impossibility of your task, what is likely to happen is that your method will go awry fairly quickly, be abused to an unacceptable level, and the mistake will be realized. Or your people will be so adamant about continuing to disregard the Bill of Rights that you will continue to push beyond it until there is a War. At which point everyone will realize the mistake.

So either through your likely failure to achieve your goals or an eventual social catastrophe, I'll be proven to be on the Right side of history.

What will also help keep Freedom Loving Americans on the Right side of history is the fact that the high crime rate will continue, and the next riot event will push too far. Unintended widespread social consequences to follow. Or the riot after that one. After all, the media has your group's number and has you by the collective sack. They will say jump and you surely will.

Old 06-10-2020, 08:55 PM

6,752 posts, read 3,367,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Sounds like you're a little offended yourself. You should let companies do what they want to do and make their own policies. Talk about intolerant. How is not allowing a confederate flag destroying the country? I don't see it.
The only thing I'm offended by is that the radical left is trying to dictate that everyone has to go along with what they want. See my answer above.

It's nice to say that companies should do what they want, but you know darn well that most of them succumb to the pressures from the left. They apologize for things that should need no apology just to appease them knowing that if they don't they'll be attacked by the media and publicly shamed. We see it every day. Is THAT the kind of society we're becoming?

Not allowing a Confederate flag in and of itself is not destroying the country, but it's the principle of it. The old slippery slope. Where do you draw the line on what does or doesn't get allowed or banned, and who makes the rules? So far, the only rules are being dictated by the radical left who have the shameless media in the pockets.

Old 06-10-2020, 09:09 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Why is it good? Are we supposed to judge people by race, gender or who they sleep with rather than accomplishments?
Yes. Don't you know that it's wrong to judge people as individuals now? What they are is more important than who they are. Get woke.

Old 06-10-2020, 09:14 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,781,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
My "ilk" are Americans.

Is debunked the word for "baseless assertions and temper tantrums in regard to what I hate about the people I hate"?

Because you can't "debunk" a claimed cultural symbol. If it is claimed to be one, then it is one. That's how both culture and freedom of expression work.

Based on your animosity toward the people in question, its not like your so called "debunking" can be seen as objective and therefore valid. Even if it were possible, which it isn't.

I am very fortunate because I both live in the United States of America and understand its core tenets. What is unfortunate for you is that you seem to only meet one of those qualifications.

So unless you think that we will formally lose the Right to Freedom of Expression, and think that you can be long-term successful in both quashing it as it exists across millions of people and in a manner that hasn't been successful yet, then it isn't me who is on the wrong side of history.

Beyond the impossibility of your task, what is likely to happen is that your method will go awry fairly quickly, be abused to an unacceptable level, and the mistake will be realized. Or your people will be so adamant about continuing to disregard the Bill of Rights that you will continue to push beyond it until there is a War. At which point everyone will realize the mistake.

So either through your likely failure to achieve your goals or an eventual social catastrophe, I'll be proven to be on the Right side of history.

What will also help keep Freedom Loving Americans on the Right side of history is the fact that the high crime rate will continue, and the next riot event will push too far. Unintended widespread social consequences to follow. Or the riot after that one. After all, the media has your group's number and has you by the collective sack. They will say jump and you surely will.

The right to freedom of expression? Which amendment is that. Also, and again, constitutional rights are enumerated as they apply to the federal government, not to a private enterprise. You know like anti gay bakers.

Old 06-10-2020, 09:20 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,429,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I get the feeling that later on it will be clear that we're in a period of major upheaval, like the 1960s.
Yes, the 60s, when everything fell apart.

Old 06-10-2020, 09:21 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,429,020 times
The Left sees the American flag as a symbol of oppression. They'll call for its removal and progressives here will support them.

Old 06-10-2020, 09:22 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
As I understand it, the OP article deals with someone who was popularly elected by voters in a private voting booth, voters who have to answer to no one and are bullied by no one when they cast their ballot.

She is who the people wanted. When they had a private moment in a voting booth.

That's what we are. A democracy. No one held those voter's hands to the fire and forced them to vote any way except their own mind.

For those who think this agenda of voting in a transgender leader is being shoved down their throats, entertain the idea that YOUR agenda has been forced down the voters throats until now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies