Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2020, 10:58 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
How about revamp or restructure, remodel, give a make over. Those words convey much more closely "deploy police when they are the best solution to solve the problem, and fund the department that solve the problems the police aren't the best solution for" then defund.

Because they never meant any of that to beigin with. The nuanced backpedaling began only after they were being criticized for their stupidity and ridiculous demands by using such words as 'de-fund'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2020, 11:04 AM

26,569 posts, read 14,444,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
The problem with those scenarios is the lack of authority.

For example...
Let's say some punk high school kids are cutting school and hanging out in a creek, and a social worker is called out, what happens when the punk kids tell the SW to screw off? Now that? All the SW can do is keep asking them to go to school...

you're just seeing the social worker in the roll of a truancy officer. i doubt they'd be chasing anyone to the creek . if a student is consistently truant i could see a visit to the home ( possibly with a LE officer ) to meet with the parents. i think more likely we'd see programs dealing with job training/internships, tutoring, supervised after-school rec programs, therapy counseling. literacy, drug/alcohol counseling .....

Old 06-11-2020, 11:06 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,622,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
Only someone with white privilege would have a problem with getting robbed.

The right thing to do would be to calmly offer the burglar a foot wash and your wife. Then, exit the premises and reflect how this is all your own fault due to your horrible whiteness.

See, no police required and everyone wins.
This wins the internet for the day! After being told I was racist because I don't feel too comfortable entering restaurants that don't specifically having gluten-free on the menu (I get deathly sick with cross contamination) and being told since I have white privilidge, my problems aren't as bad. I had black coworkers who took advantage of me and never paid me back about $400 in child care, and lending money. I was told that I sounded racist and that I should feel for my co-workers since they have it harder than me. How?! We work at the same place! In fact, the one with the children has two baby daddies, that both make bank and she's flaunting her stuff. She could afford to reimburse me. Fair is fair. I'm done with SJWs.

Quote:
Not that I don't agree that police are expected to do too much. They are expected to be mussel, psychologist, marriage counselor, counselor, negotiator, rescue, medic, babysitter, traffic director, animal control among other things. I think that has come about to reduce costs.

But who will make those determinations, the dispatcher? I think this will be more complicated and more expensive than anyone realizes. And its not going to decrease the number of deaths, might even increase them but it wound be the perpetrators dying.

So you get a report of a suspicious person around your house or hanging around a business harassing customers. Who do you send. Maybe its just a homeless person or maybe its a mentally unstable homeless person or maybe its an armed someone with the intent to harm. Do you send a social worker to transport the homeless to a shelter and find social services for them, a mental health worker if they seem on the crazy side. What if they become violent. Do you then dispatch an officer?

How about an OD. Send medics. What if it is a drug house and there are others there high and starting fights. What if there are people impeding the EMTs. Do you then dispatch an officer.

Who do you send for kids cutting school or when kids have a breakdown or become violent at school? Teachers and principals cant deal with it. Everyone is afraid of a lawsuit. Who will keep order at sporting events? Are you going to do away with SRO officers and hire a person from the school budget (IDK who pays the salary of the SRO)? What would their qualifications be.

So these genius leaders, they are suppose to be educated, intelligent and perspicacious so why are they saying defund? Can they not articulate their actual intent.
100%. Sure, a psychologist, marriage counselor, counselor, negotiator, medic, et al might be a great first response, but what if the situation gets ugly? Can an unarmed person handle it? I used to say I would love to negotiate without violence, and now I see why people called me an idiot. Sure, some times you can get out of a situation without violence, but usually when it gets to a dire situation, words ain't gonna help.

My dad is a deputy sheriff and while he doesn't arrest, he serves people. He serves people who are getting sued and losing their homes. He used to do DUI. He started out in domestic relations and hearing a lot of what he talks about, there are a lot of situations where LEOs are needed. My dad is retiring in November, 31 years. He'll get a new job, he's just tired of all that is going on because the county is making a lot of changes. He will probably go into retail.

Old 06-11-2020, 11:33 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
you're just seeing the social worker in the roll of a truancy officer. i doubt they'd be chasing anyone to the creek . if a student is consistently truant i could see a visit to the home ( possibly with a LE officer ) to meet with the parents. i think more likely we'd see programs dealing with job training/internships, tutoring, supervised after-school rec programs, therapy counseling. literacy, drug/alcohol counseling .....
The truancy officers have been replaced with school resource officers (armed police officers).

My brother is now a SRO. He has various responsibilities from breaking up fights, to reading to kids, to counseling disturbed kids to making posters and giving presentations. He is heavily involved with the student organization against drugs/alcohol. He is now trying to organize an mentoring program conducted by other SROs after having to chase down a young man who ran off from school property. He said there are too many young boys getting in trouble and having issues and most all of them are being raised by single mothers with no positive male figure in their life.

Old 06-11-2020, 11:46 AM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
The police. Defunding doesn’t mean zero. It is t literal. It means deploying the right person for the call. That is not a police officer for most. Why are we calling police for drug ODs, mental issues, homeless people, kids cutting school ....
This might sound ok on paper, the problem is what do you do when the person tells the social worker to go screw themselves??

Homeless people can be extremely violent. I mean sometimes you have to have people get man handled when needed, and in an appropriate manner.

No one agrees that kneeling on some guys neck when he's restrained is appropriate. Not anyone I've ever talked too. You might get a couple of kooks here making silly and lame attempts at it, but normal rational fair minded people don't think that.

Old 06-11-2020, 12:11 PM

26,569 posts, read 14,444,771 times
Quote:
The truancy officers have been replaced with school resource officers (armed police officers).

My brother is now a SRO. He has various responsibilities from breaking up fights, to reading to kids, to counseling disturbed kids to making posters and giving presentations. He is heavily involved with the student organization against drugs/alcohol. He is now trying to organize an mentoring program conducted by other SROs ....

great. i absolutely support these proactive measures and switching LEO's perception from "enforcer" to "community advocate".

Old 06-11-2020, 12:15 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
I thought conservatives/Republicans were the party of personal responsibility/rugged individualism?

Why can't they defend their own homes and property? Why do they want daddy government to do it for them?

Old 06-11-2020, 12:20 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Not that I don't agree that police are expected to do too much. They are expected to be mussel, psychologist, marriage counselor, counselor, negotiator, rescue, medic, babysitter, traffic director, animal control among other things. I think that has come about to reduce costs.

But who will make those determinations, the dispatcher? I think this will be more complicated and more expensive than anyone realizes. And its not going to decrease the number of deaths, might even increase them but it wound be the perpetrators dying.

So you get a report of a suspicious person around your house or hanging around a business harassing customers. Who do you send. Maybe its just a homeless person or maybe its a mentally unstable homeless person or maybe its an armed someone with the intent to harm. Do you send a social worker to transport the homeless to a shelter and find social services for them, a mental health worker if they seem on the crazy side. What if they become violent. Do you then dispatch an officer?

How about an OD. Send medics. What if it is a drug house and there are others there high and starting fights. What if there are people impeding the EMTs. Do you then dispatch an officer.

Who do you send for kids cutting school or when kids have a breakdown or become violent at school? Teachers and principals cant deal with it. Everyone is afraid of a lawsuit. Who will keep order at sporting events? Are you going to do away with SRO officers and hire a person from the school budget (IDK who pays the salary of the SRO)? What would their qualifications be.

So these genius leaders, they are suppose to be educated, intelligent and perspicacious so why are they saying defund? Can they not articulate their actual intent.
Obviously this movement is at the ideation phase, and no one has remotely worked through implementation yet. That being said, people are smart, they can figure it out. Let's give people to time to marinate on it. This sort of change and restructuring can't happen overnight.

For example, at schools, there are parents monitoring recess. The best thing about parents in this case is that they havre a vested interested in having a pleasant recess experience for their kids and the classmates. In order to solve the problems that inevitably come up, we want someone who is invested in the outcome, not someone who swoops in and "eliminates the threat." Do we need an armed officer to lecture kids on why they shouldn't cut school or litter on the campus?

And for traffic incidents? Why are we sending police to take a traffic report for the insurance? Why not someone who functions like an insurance adjuster. Does it need to be someone armed?

And what about that shoplifter who stole a $100 shirt - does someone with a gun need to respond to this? There has to be a better way.

The one thing I have learned from watching 9-1-1 is that dispatchers have a lot training on triage and prioritization. I don't think adding a new flow chart to the rule book will be too hard. They have already been trained to do this already. This can be extended if there are more options in the toolkit.

I think the word defund has been used because it is easy to say and catch. And I saw one hilarious take was because defund sounds a lot like f*ck when chanting. Never underestimate the desire to curse obscenities at people!

Old 06-11-2020, 12:24 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:

My brother is now a SRO. He has various responsibilities from breaking up fights, to reading to kids, to counseling disturbed kids to making posters and giving presentations. He is heavily involved with the student organization against drugs/alcohol. He is now trying to organize an mentoring program conducted by other SROs after having to chase down a young man who ran off from school property. He said there are too many young boys getting in trouble and having issues and most all of them are being raised by single mothers with no positive male figure in their life.
Do these SROs really need guns though? Like that looks pretty antagonistic to me.

When I was in high school we had one teacher (he started as a sub). Anyway he was an amusing guy. He liked to come to our school because there were a lot of fights, and he liked to break them up. He was very effective at it. I don't know what he did, but as soon as Mr. Smalls showed up, the kids would stop fighting. He was like a small statured guy who was like 5'6 or 5'7. It helped he was a known entity around school. No one wanted to disappoint him. And he had authority - no gun needed.

(To note: guns were a common sight at my school. Rednecked kept guns in their car because supposedly they were going hunting after school. It never escalated into an incident where someone brought a gun to class. We had to get a hunting license as part of PE class)

Old 06-11-2020, 12:26 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
Please, spare us your inane rants, your political tough guy stuff is simply childish, and serves to diminish your views as just another post from a dissatisfied malcontent. If you had any valid contribution to the conversation I'm certain it would have shown up by now, but it hasn't, so please, run along now and get comfortable while listening to your favorite right wing fellow dissenters-- Sean and Rush..
FAIL! I don't listen to them!

Again, look in the mirror bub! Was that you best "rant"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies