Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2020, 08:42 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times

Advertisements

I care more about keeping my job than exercising my free speech on a liberal social media platform.

No thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2020, 08:47 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
I agree--they have gone way too far. Now they are saying that 'silence is violence.' It seems as good a time as any to delete social media accounts, or make them private (like Instagram.) It's only a matter of time before NOT saying something will be construed as saying something. They have people sifting through 'likes.' Beware if you like some random cat picture that someone posted, who later turned out to be in the crosshairs of the SJW mob. You can get fired for that.
random cat picture

Old 06-11-2020, 08:48 AM

3,042 posts, read 5,001,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizjo View Post
[/color]
While I hardly ever post on social media I was wondering about this exact thing. I've been hesitant to "like" anything lately. Hearing this now confirms my suspicions, although I probably would not be a target since I've been retired for 14 years and I wasn't "anybody" anyway.
I feel like I have too much to lose to risk putting any controversial opinion out there. Is it worth it to lose one's livelihood/family/etc. just to post something that doesn't change any minds? It's not like you can gain anything from posting other than maybe a few followers (ie. people you don't know).

And your life can be ruined, retired or not. You can be doxxed, harassed, they can protest outside your house, etc. Especially these days with the lockdown, people have so much energy and nothing to focus it on, tracking down people who disagree with them gives them something to do.

Old 06-11-2020, 08:50 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
The only place where your political opinion really matters is at the voting booth.

Everywhere else is just noise and nonsense.

Old 06-11-2020, 08:53 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
I feel like I have too much to lose to risk putting any controversial opinion out there. Is it worth it to lose one's livelihood/family/etc. just to post something that doesn't change any minds? It's not like you can gain anything from posting other than maybe a few followers (ie. people you don't know).

And your life can be ruined, retired or not. You can be doxxed, harassed, they can protest outside your house, etc. Especially these days with the lockdown, people have so much energy and nothing to focus it on, tracking down people who disagree with them gives them something to do.
But what lockdown? Everyone I know that was out of work due to coronavirus has now gone back to work.

Old 06-11-2020, 08:54 AM

12,039 posts, read 6,570,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The only place where your political opinion really matters is at the voting booth.

Everywhere else is just noise and nonsense.
Except when the democrats cheat en masse and rig the election.....
Ever wonder why they fervently don’t want voter ID, and want all felons to have the vote?

Old 06-11-2020, 08:54 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
I'm under the assumption that most of the people who don't post about the Floyd death and BLM either aren't interested in it or don't support it, and the people that do care are obviously going to post every day about the movement so they can get thier pats on the back. I think most are like me, I think the movement itself is just race baiting and I don't support it for multiple reasons. But you can't post anything or your at risk of being crucified or even losing your job. People will target you and try to ruin your life.

A lot of people don't post about politics in general.

But just because they don't air their opinions publicly doesn't mean they don't have any.

Old 06-11-2020, 11:33 AM

2,240 posts, read 1,386,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I think that the last time I posted anything even remotely political on Facebook was a message congratulating Donald Trump on winning the election, back in November 2016. Several of my friends have gone bat-guano crazy in their support of BLM on their pages, and I just roll my eyes and keep scrolling. But I don't respond. It's not worth it. These are indeed scary times.
I "snooze" them for 30 days.

Old 06-11-2020, 11:36 AM

8,168 posts, read 3,127,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
I don’t belong to any social media except City Data.
Thankfully, CD is moderated well and very fair and balanced with its moderators.
It’s one of the last places conservatives can post and not get censured......
CD may someday sell the information, if it hasn't done so already or, may be hacked for information, if it hasn't been so already.

A few years ago, I personally knew individuals who worked in the HR department of various companies throughout the San Fransicko Bay Area. We had a discussion about this very topic. These individuals were telling me that when they look for new hires, they look up and at their Facebook pages to get an idea if such candidate meets their desired criteria. I don't have Facebook. So I asked them "what if the candidate you are looking at doesn't have a Facebook account?" They unanimously stated that anyone who doesn't have a Facebook account should not be considered acceptable. That is the default, they are considered a "hostile" if they do not have a Facebook account that can be examined by HR during the hiring process. In simpler terms: guilty until proven innocent. Same in regards to posting on BLM and the Floyd issue. If you post on either of those, they know if you are for or against. If you don't, they default to guilty until otherwise proven innocent.

This is what is going on now and has been going on for at least ten years now, in the San Fransicko Bay Area. Who's to say what we post on CD would be treated any differently?

Last edited by FC76-81; 06-11-2020 at 12:20 PM..

Old 06-11-2020, 11:40 AM

2,240 posts, read 1,386,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post

I know. Your 2nd paragraph is particularly worrisome.

Funny thing just happened. I responded to your post with the above, then when I hit submit..computer did a little glitchy thing, so I refreshed and the same thing happened again. I had to go back and do it all over from scratch. Hmmmm.

I see it has been posted now. But I did get a "funny" feeling when it happened. Paranoid, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies