Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2021, 12:59 AM

1,153 posts, read 630,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
I don't know much about Ghana other than Ike Quartey, the former boxer.

How am I missing your point? AA contributed to American society from the points you mentioned like Latinos and Asians. You give any group a platform and a bunch of government programs and education favoritism and job quotas under the best economy in the world and they will progress over foreign groups that don't have any access to what We have in the U.S.

Asian Americans are the highest-income, best-educated and fastest-growing racial group in the United States. They do this with less government help and less education help that blacks get. It's culture.

You lost me with the Dominican comparison. They are not U.S. Citizens and when they come here they have a language and culture barriers. Of course AA will have a head start than any black latino by a mile.

Do the AA have a special DNA that they are better than black latinos? or is it that AA live in #1 economy in the world and they get special treatment by the government?

What makes the AA better than other blacks around the world including Africa? and when I mean better, I'm referring to the opportunities to succeed?
I'm not going to touch on Asians because that's a straight up copout from the position I held lol. We're going from talking about Black immigrants to Asians now? But, to quickly address that point, not all Asians have success in the U.S.

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/opportunit...-new-york-city

https://www.providencejournal.com/ar...NEWS/303319873

Also, many Bangladeshi immigrants in the U.S. have poverty issues and most are not refugees. I give Southeast Asians a pass though since many are refugees.

Getting to the point, though, what's hilarious is that those same programs you're claiming are responsible for every successful African American in the U.S. So, Tyler Perry going from homeless to running his own enterprise is because of a program. Or Troy Carter becoming a huge tech titan and CEO isn't legit? Or Ben Carson isn't a truly qualified doctor according to you? Man....you're contempt for AA's is terrible man. I thought we could be friends.

Also, these same government programs benefit BLACK IMMIGRANTS as well as non-White Latin American immigrants. I don't support Affirmative action or quotas but women and non-Asian minorities in general benefit from those same programs you attribute to our whole success. There's no such thing as an AA-exclusive government program. In fact, read this short summary of a book studying this:

For more than half a century, an extensive literature has consistently reported that first-and second-generation black immigrants are more educated and economically successful than African Americans. This literature has also suggested that black immigrants are benefiting from affirmative action more so than African Americans without having been the direct objects of slavery and historical discrimination. An important shortcoming of this literature, however, is that it presumes an undifferentiated black immigrant success story and obscures important differences across black immigrants from different countries of origin. Using data from the three census years (1980, 1990, and 2000), I examine the extent to which the black immigrant success story is directly relevant to African immigrants from different countries of origin in the United States. The findings of the study reveal that African immigrants are represented in the entire continuum of the American class structure, and therefore, any representation of a uniform experience is not empirically defensible. Empirical and theoretical implications of affirmative action are also discussed.

Many Colombians, Ecuadorians, and Peruvians come to the U.S. with the same vetting process as Dominicans yet they do substantially better than them. That's my whole point. Dominicans(mainly Black) have done worse than many other Latin groups and AA's on average. I give Colombian immigrants props because they're more successful than AA's on average and I have no problem acknowledging that fact. Can't same the same for DR's.

AA's aren't "superior" to anyone which was precisely what I said at the bottom. I just said that Brazil has a higher economic gap between Whites and Blacks than the USA which I can prove. And this is in spite of government programs created 2 decades ago used to help Black/Pardo Brazilians on a job and university level which I can prove. And I said that Jamaicans in the UK and Canada have been linked to a lot degeneracy and crime despite them being assimilated in those countries which I can prove.

I simply said that we accomplished a lot in the U.S. which I can prove.

I gotta go to church tomorrow but keep in mind that I never truly spoke bad about other Black groups at all. I simply acknowledged that we all have good and bad elements. And the whole "if they had the opportunity" thing is mere speculation. Why did the gang elements like the Shower Posse, Zoe Pound, and Trinitarios come to Jamaican, Haitian, and Dominican neighborhoods in parts of the U.S. to begin with despite the heavy vetting process many of them have to go through? It's not like they can just hop borders and go unchecked.

USA.....USA.......USA!!!

Old 06-13-2021, 05:40 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,922,871 times
Quote:
The South wanted 2 things

A) Independence
B) Slavery

Lincoln and the North were willing to give them 1 of the 2 and it wasn't A. So if Lincoln and the North were willing to give B and putting in the constitution to avoid war as long that they return to the Union then slavery wasn't the issue for both side to kill each other.

If the cops tell you, You can continue selling dope in the streets as long that they get most of the profits and you work for them and you leave and they go after you, it isn't about selling dope but who controls the $$$$$$. Wars are fought this way for centuries.

Corwin Amendment:

https://www.lib.niu.edu/2006/ih060934.html

Lincoln when he took the oath didn't believe he had any authority to end slavery and he didn't believe blacks should have the same political or social rights as White since the Douglas debates of 1858.

For much of his career, Lincoln believed that colonization or the idea that a majority of the African American population should leave the United States and settle in Africa or Central America was the best way to confront the problem of slavery. His two great political heroes, Henry Clay and Thomas Jefferson, had both favored colonization, both were enslavers who took issue with aspects of slavery but saw no way that Black and white people could live together peaceably.
Lincoln first publicly advocated for colonization in 1852, and in 1854 said that his first instinct would be “to free all the slaves, and send them to Liberia” (the African state founded by the American Colonization Society in 1821).

Emancipation was a military policy. As the Civil War entered its second summer in 1862, thousands of enslaved people had fled Southern plantations to Union lines, and the federal government didn’t have a clear policy on how to deal with them. Emancipation, Lincoln saw, would further undermine the Confederacy while providing the Union with a new source of manpower to crush the rebellion.

Since Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation as a military measure, it didn’t apply to border slave states like Delaware, Maryland, Kentucky and Missouri, all of which were loyal to the Union. (Missouri actually had two competing governments; one loyal to, and recognized by the Union, and one loyal to the Confederacy). Lincoln also exempted selected areas of the Confederacy that had already come under Union control in hopes of gaining the loyalty of white people in those states. In practice, then, the Emancipation Proclamation didn’t immediately free a single enslaved person, as the only places it applied were places where the federal government had no control the Southern states currently fighting against the Union.

You actually think if the South stayed in the union and kept their slavery, Lincoln would have wage war on them? That's a myth. It was all about keeping the union.
President Lincoln believed that the major problem between the North & South was the inability to reach agreement with respect to the expansion of slavery.

The Confederacy wanted the expansion of slavery more than their "independence" & threatened military solutions. These debates over slavery began at the Constitutional Convention in 1787.

In your delirious attempt to defend the Confederacy, & acting as apologist for the Slaver States, you conveniently leave out, as if they don't exist, the enslaved.

Also conveniently left out are the Lost Causers, then & now, who aspired to transform a military defeat into a political & cultural victory, where states’ rights & white supremacy remained intact.

Also conveniently left out is the The Dunning School of Reconstruction. Theirs was not just an interpretation of history; it was part of the edifice of the Jim Crow System. It was, & is (still taught) used to justify, legitimize, preserve, & expand race-based prejudices & systemic policy treatments based on race.

The OP asks, "Why aren't other Countries who also benefited from slavery also shamed for it?"

Why are we ashamed to admit the historical truths of the matter?

Why all the hand wringing, apologetics & justifications?

Why don't we believe them? Why don't we believe what those lionized figures memorialized & littering our public places, including our public parks, schools, & courthouses said & wrote?

Old 06-13-2021, 06:09 AM

8,628 posts, read 9,134,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Are Spanish kids taught how destructive and repressive their ancestors were to the Ingeniousness peoples of the new world, in addition to all the slave importation they did in the Caribbean? The entire nation of Spain was built on stolen riches, slavery, and conquest. Do they have mandatory "kneel and repent" sessions at their universities? This is a serious question, if you talk about destroying cultures and treating people terribly in search of your own fortune, I'm not sure anyone has it over Spain.

I think this guilt thing is heavily isolated to the US and maybe to a lesser extent England. It used to be isolated to certain universities even here, but through social media it's spread to the entire culture.
I agree with you on the most part. I will say the people of Spain did not prosper as much as one may think. One would think of the huge amount of riches that came out of the New World would make Spain look as powerful and modern even to this day, but in reality Spain is a bit run down in many areas. Most of the riches gained by Spain went to bankers all over Europe. Family owned Italian bankers, Scottish Bankers, Swedish bankers etc. Many of the ships of the Armada were built by other nations. Many of Spain's military personnel were of foreign origin. Spain was truly the first international co-op, first developed by Ferdinand using his connections and his titles throughout Europe. Spain was indebted to these banks so much so that its monarchy was close to collapse many times throughout its history. Its power overtime was propped up in order to keep the gravy train intact even by Spain's enemies. That old money still resides with certain families to this day, but not so much for the Spanish people.

Old 06-13-2021, 06:17 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,176,768 times
The Ottoman Empire really was a massive slave empire.

Old 06-13-2021, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Black people have what they have in America because they stood up for themselves and fought back. I'm talking about why America gets shamed. This thread about why America gets shamed.
Enslaved people have always fought back. Always. The rebellions & revolutions are not historically referred to as 'Civil Wars' even though a case can be made that's what they were. Here are just some:

1663: First serious slave conspiracy in Colonial America
White servants and black slaves conspire to revolt in Gloucester County, VA, but are betrayed by a fellow servant.

1739: The Stono Rebellion
The deadliest revolt in Colonial America takes place in Stono, SC. Armed slaves start marching to Florida and towards freedom, but the insurrection is put down and at least 20 whites and more than 40 blacks are killed.

1791: Haiti slave revolt
Former slave Toussaint L'Ouverture leads a slave revolt in Haiti, West Indies. He is captured in 1802, but the revolt continues and Haitian independence is declared. Southerners are terrified by these events as they discourage the importation of slaves into the United States.

1800: Gabriel Prosser’s rebellion
In the spring of 1800, Prosser, a deeply religious man, begins plotting an invasion of Richmond, Virginia and an attack on its armory. By summer he has enlisted more than 1,000 slaves and collected an armory of weapons, organizing the first large-scale slave revolt in the U.S. On the day of the revolt, the bridges leading to Richmond are destroyed in a flood, and Prosser is betrayed. The state militia attacks, and Prosser and 35 of his men are hanged.

1811: Louisiana revolt
Louisiana slaves revolt in two parishes near New Orleans. The revolt is suppressed by U.S. troops.

1816: Fort Blount revolt
Three hundred slaves and about 20 Native American allies hold Fort Blount on Apalachicola Bay, Florida for several days before being attacked by U.S. troops.

1822: Denmark Vesey’s revolt
A freed man, Vesey had won a lottery and purchased his emancipation in 1800. He is working as a carpenter in Charleston, South Carolina when he starts to plan a massive slave rebellion—one of the most elaborate plots in American history—involving thousands of slaves on surrounding plantations, organized into cells. They would start a major fire at night, and then kill the slave owners and their families. Vesey is betrayed and hanged, but the cell structure prevents officials from identifying other leaders.

1831: Nat Turner’s revolt
Nat Turner plans a slave revolt in Southampton County, Virginia, the only effective, sustained slave rebellion in U.S. history. Sixty whites are killed before Turner and his followers are captured and hanged.

1831–1862: The Underground Railroad
Approximately 75,000 slaves escape to the North and to freedom via the Underground Railroad, a system in which free African American and white "conductors," abolitionists and sympathizers help guide and shelter the escapees.

1838: Frederick Douglass escapes
Frederick Douglass escapes from slavery in Baltimore. He later publishes his autobiography, Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, An American Slave, Written by Himself, and becomes a leading abolitionist.

1839: The Amistad mutiny
Led by a West African named Cinque, slaves transported aboard the Spanish ship Amistad stage a mutiny, killing the entire crew except for the captain and first mate and demanding to be sailed back to Africa. Instead, the captain sails to New York. The rebels eventually win their freedom in a landmark Supreme Court case in which they are defended by former president John Quincy Adams.

1841: Creole revolt
Slaves revolt on the Creole, a slave trading ship sailing from Virginia to Louisiana. The rebels overpower the crew and successfully sail to the Bahamas, where they are granted asylum and freedom.

1849: Harriet Tubman escapes
Harriet Tubman escapes from slavery in Maryland. She becomes one of the best-known "conductors" on the Underground Railroad, returning to the South 19 times and helping more than 300 slaves escape to freedom.

1859: Harper’s Ferry Attack
Led by abolitionist John Brown, a group of slaves and white abolitionists stage an attack on Harper’s Ferry, Virginia. They capture the federal armory and arsenal before the insurrection is halted by local militia. Brown and the other captives are tried and executed. The raid hastens the advent of the Civil War, which starts two years later."

Old 06-13-2021, 06:49 AM

8,628 posts, read 9,134,034 times
Spartacus rebellion: 70 BC...

Old 06-13-2021, 07:28 AM

An Address to the Slaves of the United States of America

Henry Highland Garnet was an African-American abolitionist, minister, educator and newspaper editor. Garnet delivered “An Address to the Slaves of the United States of America” at the National Negro Convention in Buffalo, N.Y., on Aug. 16, 1843.

https://www.learningforjustice.org/c...tes-of-america

Old 06-13-2021, 08:07 AM

1,904 posts, read 1,044,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
An Address to the Slaves of the United States of America

Henry Highland Garnet was an African-American abolitionist, minister, educator and newspaper editor. Garnet delivered “An Address to the Slaves of the United States of America” at the National Negro Convention in Buffalo, N.Y., on Aug. 16, 1843.

https://www.learningforjustice.org/c...tes-of-america
Great...what's the purpose of this Linked Speech...?

What are you trying to 'Bring out?'

Old 06-13-2021, 08:13 AM

13,602 posts, read 4,929,902 times
Why aren't other countries who also massively benefited from slavery shamed for it?

Mother: "Billy, you shouldn't have taken that cookie out of the cookie jar"

Billy: "What about Jeffy? He took a cookie too"

Old 06-13-2021, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkins View Post
Great...what's the purpose of this Linked Speech...?

What are you trying to 'Bring out?'

To counter this exchange:

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Black people have what they have in America because they stood up for themselves and fought back. I'm talking about why America gets shamed. This thread about why America gets shamed.
Quote:
B.S., if America wanted to mop the floor with every black and send them back to Africa, there was NOTHING blacks could do. It's not like blacks had a bad a$$ army or a navy that forced America to give them things. ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies