Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2021, 05:55 PM

14,215 posts, read 4,586,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarHero45 View Post
I'm AA and have traveled to three Latin American countries(Cuba, Costa Rica, and Colombia.) Still have a few photos of me in Havana at a bar if you want evidence.

Obviously, there's cultural differences but a lot of issues like street violence, gangs, poverty, lack of education, etc. are similar.

As a matter of fact, there's MUCH more successful, middle class, and educated Black Americans than Black Latinos.

Where's the Black Latino equivalents to Neil Degrasse Tyson, Oprah, Michael Jordan, Jay-Z, Thomas Sowell, Ben Carson, etc.? Not saying they don't exist but that's why you can't make broad assumptions over how millions of people supposedly "act."

I find that there is a little more hospitality in Latin America in all races in comparison to the USA outside the Deep South but, other than that, there's no huge difference between how Latin American and AA Blacks act, beyond the typical cultural differences you'd expect going into a different country with a different history.

AA's are way too broad of a group to lump together anyway. There's even some mild cultural differences between Southern AA's and Northeast/West Coast AA's.
I think he (SanJuanStar) meant the ghetto-hood-rat-wannabe-rap-artist image dominates the black culture and entertainment in America instead of black culture like Duke Ellington or Louis Armstrong like back in the old days.

Old 06-11-2021, 06:00 PM

3,356 posts, read 1,232,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
You can't just presume that the US benefitted from slavery. And it is utterly false to claim that America was built on slave labor.
Back up both those statements please.
Europe never used slavery to the extent we did to develop our country into the agricultural behemoth it became. They outlawed the slave trade before us.
If you think America’s southern cotton and rice wealth...as well as the city of Washington wasn’t built on slave labor then I’d like to know how they did it.

Old 06-11-2021, 06:03 PM

25,689 posts, read 18,773,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Who/what are those countries?
Can you be more specific please?
For one, Brazil. When it was obvious the CSA was going to lose the Civil War in America, there were a good number of aristocrat slave owners who fled to Brazil because slavery was legal in Brazil at the time. Brazil and their new immigrant slave holders from the southern states continued with slavery until 1888 (Maybe? I believe that was the year it was made illegal there). These confederates are still remembered in Brazil and many of their descendants still live there. From what I understand, they still have an annual celebration complete with confederate flags "honoring" what they call the confederados.

But then, I'm sure you know slavery was practiced in many, many other nations besides the US. You're just being obtuse and trying to justify the left's tunnel vision on only the US when it comes to slavery. There are still nations that practice slavery. But we don't give a damn about those do we? They aren't white and they aren't redneck Americans. So that's a-okay.

Old 06-11-2021, 06:06 PM

14,215 posts, read 4,586,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
Back up both those statements please.
Europe never used slavery to the extent we did to develop our country into the agricultural behemoth it became. They outlawed the slave trade before us.
If you think America’s southern cotton and rice wealth...as well as the city of Washington wasn’t built on slave labor then I’d like to know how they did it.
European powers were smart.

They enslaved other people in their own countries (instead of bringing the slaves to Europe) and sucked all the natural resources from other countries using its inhabitants as slaves.

Old 06-11-2021, 06:07 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,729,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerobime227 View Post
Always talk about 400 years of European slavery and how countries like America were built on slave labor yet there are TONS of other countries that, well before Europeans vastly benefited from slavery for literally thousands of years. Why the hell don't they get any flack for it? Why aren't their descendants not made to feel extremely guilty for thousands of years of slavery their ancestors caused? They complain about white supremacy yet I guess times when there was Arab supremacy during Islam's golden age where they enslaved millions including Africans was totally fine?
The most brutal, horrific and numerically large slaver culture in human history is Islam. They started far earlier than Christian Europe. They still engage in slavery today, long after Europe, the USA and Latin America abolished the practice. Many consider it to be completely allowed by their religion. Even strongly encouraged.

The word "slave" shares the same root word with Slav, because the Slavs were so frequently sold into the Muslim slave markets. That was a fate they shared with people from every corner of Europe, Central Asia, people from India, Africa, etc. Significantly more black African slaves were taken from Sub-Saharan Africa and sold into the Muslim world than all European and American slave markets combined. It was in fact the already existing slave markets of black Africans selling defeated tribes to the Muslims that made the African slave markets so instantly accessible and convenient to the Europeans. The Muslims were moving deadly slave caravans across the Sahara -- with similar death rates as the European slave ships -- centuries before the Europeans got into the game. By every conceivable metric, Sub-Saharan Africa was more devastated by the Muslim slave trade than the European slave trade. But for some inexplicable reason, the Muslim slave trade is completely ignored by history tellers. And that's not even factoring in all of the other places where Muslims took slaves from.

Old 06-11-2021, 06:09 PM

6,855 posts, read 2,843,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
Last year, the Mexican president demanded an apology from Spain regarding the colonial past

The bulls demand an apology from the matadors of both countries.

Old 06-11-2021, 06:13 PM

1,153 posts, read 630,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
I think he (SanJuanStar) meant the ghetto-hood-rat-wannabe-rap-artist image dominates the black culture and entertainment in America instead of black culture like Duke Ellington or Louis Armstrong like back in the old days.
Haha...that's especially hilarious given how much reggaeton, "Latin trap", and some other contemporary Latin music today is overly sexualized and low class.

Last time I check, rap dominates a lot of American entertainment, not just "black" culture. Even Billie Eilish is latching on to it and she's a White pop star.

My point is that there's millions of AA's who are successful, middle-class, educated, aren't criminals, and do ordinary/mundane activities. There are Black Latinos who are doing the same.

But the reality is that there's more AA's who can boast of these type of achievements and success compared to Black Latinos and there's plenty of Black Latinos who are criminals, felons, drug dealers, and degenerates from the slums and barrios.

Also, bear in mind that there was a time where Jazz and Rock as heavily stigmatized in the USA and where occasionally blamed for drug usage during that time. They just became "respectable" music genres after their respective peaks.

Old 06-11-2021, 06:22 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,066,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
The most brutal, horrific and numerically large slaver culture in human history is Islam. They started far earlier than Christian Europe. They still engage in slavery today, long after Europe, the USA and Latin America abolished the practice. Many consider it to be completely allowed by their religion. Even strongly encouraged.

The word "slave" shares the same root word with Slav, because the Slavs were so frequently sold into the Muslim slave markets. That was a fate they shared with people from every corner of Europe, Central Asia, people from India, Africa, etc. Significantly more black African slaves were taken from Sub-Saharan Africa and sold into the Muslim world than all European and American slave markets combined. It was in fact the already existing slave markets of black Africans selling defeated tribes to the Muslims that made the African slave markets so instantly accessible and convenient to the Europeans. The Muslims were moving deadly slave caravans across the Sahara -- with similar death rates as the European slave ships -- centuries before the Europeans got into the game. By every conceivable metric, Sub-Saharan Africa was more devastated by the Muslim slave trade than the European slave trade. But for some inexplicable reason, the Muslim slave trade is completely ignored by history tellers. And that's not even factoring in all of the other places where Muslims took slaves from.
This is accurate but Islam became a thing 600 years after Christianity. Christians in Europe we’re practicing slavery way before Islam existed as a religious or political entity.

Old 06-11-2021, 06:23 PM

15,064 posts, read 6,167,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
I've had the pleasure of vacationing in Rio De Janeiro three separate times. Brazil actually imported more slaves than the US. My general observation is folks of all countries blend in down there and you see much more racial harmony than the in the States. Brazilians are gorgeous people to begin with but you see a mix of all shades and they see themselves at Brazilians instead of focusing so much on being former Africans. Things down there are chill and not so uptight. Really was a thing of beauty.
This Brazil???

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.dw....man/a-55683298

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc...a-57112382.amp

Old 06-11-2021, 06:24 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
You can't just presume that the US benefitted from slavery. And it is utterly false to claim that America was built on slave labor.
I actually agree with you for once.

Liberty promotes prosperity. The North, with few slaves, was economically superior to the South which ended up devastated by the Civil War.

All Americans are still suffering due to slavery and Jim Crow. Not just blacks. Economics isn't a zero sum game where one groups loss means another's gain. Under a classical liberal economy the rising tide truly lifts all boats. When an individual or group is discriminated against we all lose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies