Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2020, 07:54 PM

107 posts, read 46,182 times

Advertisements

Nigerian immigrants (who are black in case you didn’t know) have a higher median income than native born whites. They also have a higher median income than other immigrants who are generally viewed as successfully, such as Dutch and Korean immigrants. They are disproportionately well-educated, receiving graduate degrees from US universities extraordinary high rates, much higher than white Americans. Statistically, they are doing extremely well in the US, much better than many immigrant groups.

How is this possible given the extreme levels of systematic racism inherently embedded in our capitalist system?

For those interested:
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...el-in-the-u-s-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2020, 09:52 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times
Excerpt: Nigerian immigrants (who are black in case you didn’t know) have a higher median income than native born whites.

Response: When will people in this country get it. Drop the game, pick up an education...secure your future with a skill set in high demand.

Old 06-12-2020, 09:55 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,537,016 times
I've been giving my money to their distressed family member in every other email i get from them....probably why they have a higher income.

Old 06-12-2020, 11:08 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Excerpt: Nigerian immigrants (who are black in case you didn’t know) have a higher median income than native born whites.

Response: When will people in this country get it. Drop the game, pick up an education...secure your future with a skill set in high demand.
Why work hard to get a degree, only to have to work every day when you can scream oppression and demand handouts for doing nothing?

Old 06-12-2020, 11:14 PM

18,562 posts, read 7,372,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets_go_hawks View Post
Why aren’t Nigerian immigrants victims of systemic racism?
Because none of them are white.

Old 06-12-2020, 11:15 PM

17,624 posts, read 6,911,503 times
They work hard, unlike the whining victims who parrot the "systemic racism" B.S. Maybe Indentured Servant can come prove my point.

Old 06-12-2020, 11:39 PM

1,323 posts, read 588,616 times
So tired of this trope... my mother isn't Nigerian, but an afro-Latina immigrant. She is the American Dream optimized - a physician in the top 5% income-earners. She has experienced absolutely cruel racism throughout her career and has had to battle more than once with disciplinary committees in order to defend herself. Her personal property has been vandalized and she's been physically threatened more than once. Not to mention the verbal assault she's withstood over the years.

So shove it when you deny systemic racism. It exists and it is prevalent in insidious ways. And she succeeded in spite of it, not because it doesn't exist. The difference is my mother's character. She's a force of nature and turned all those experiences into a productive rage. She told me countless times to be twice as smart as anyone I went to school with or worked with.

But I question what her professional life would have been if she wasn't hounded because of her race and ethnicity. Would she have been a happier mom, not always in battle mode? The effects of people treating you differently simply because of the way you look cause deep wounds that all of you are just glossing over.

She's retired now and her knees are giving her problems. Otherwise, she'd be out in the streets protesting, too.

Old 06-13-2020, 12:25 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kajo13 View Post
So tired of this trope... my mother isn't Nigerian, but an afro-Latina immigrant. She is the American Dream optimized - a physician in the top 5% income-earners. She has experienced absolutely cruel racism throughout her career and has had to battle more than once with disciplinary committees in order to defend herself. Her personal property has been vandalized and she's been physically threatened more than once. Not to mention the verbal assault she's withstood over the years.

So shove it when you deny systemic racism. It exists and it is prevalent in insidious ways. And she succeeded in spite of it, not because it doesn't exist. The difference is my mother's character. She's a force of nature and turned all those experiences into a productive rage. She told me countless times to be twice as smart as anyone I went to school with or worked with.

But I question what her professional life would have been if she wasn't hounded because of her race and ethnicity. Would she have been a happier mom, not always in battle mode? The effects of people treating you differently simply because of the way you look cause deep wounds that all of you are just glossing over.

She's retired now and her knees are giving her problems. Otherwise, she'd be out in the streets protesting, too.
In all fairness the OP did not say ti did not exist. Curious when did she immigrate and retire?

How do you get rid of systemic racism? But first can you define it? Do you think it starts with getting white people to acknowledge something or say a few words about their privilege or perhaps donate $$ that get passed onto failing democrat policies that have done nothing for the black community in areas where they have controlled all politics for upwards of 40-60 years or perhaps maybe dealing with crime rates in the black community or the fatherless problem there? How about the drug problems and culture of Uncle Tomism? Or maybe they need more quotas, affirmative action, community reinvestment, etc. What? It would seem that in spite of racism from ignorant white folk (which frankly will always exist) black people can succeed just as you and the OP pointed out.

Old 06-13-2020, 01:12 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,253,620 times
Because they have a higher level of education WHEN they immigrate, college graduate or post graduate degrees. Even a higher percentage than Asian immigrants. Everyone knows that education = higher income. Everyone also knows that if your parents are college educated you will have a greater chance of going to college also.

Doesn’t mean they aren’t victims of racism.

Old 06-13-2020, 01:20 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Because they have a higher level of education WHEN they immigrate, college graduate or post graduate degrees. Even a higher percentage than Asian immigrants. Everyone knows that education = higher income. Everyone also knows that if your parents are college educated you will have a greater chance of going to college also.

Doesn’t mean they aren’t victims of racism.

That did not answer the question as to why black Americans, other than these immigrants, are not educated in order to achieve this - it can't be because they are black. The OP did not suggest that there was no racism or victims of such. So blacks have had civil rights, quotas, affirmative action, community reinvestment, all sorts of $$ given to them, a party that has controlled the majority of their lives in many cities of the US and including Presidents. So try again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies