Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2020, 11:17 PM

6,819 posts, read 14,032,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
And again, I will provide you w/ the Atlanta police manual which addresses your question:

The bolded isn't true ... it also includes serious phsyical harm.

Immediate danger and physical harm is one in the same
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2020, 11:17 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,522,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
A taser in itself is not a deadly weapon, however, a taser is a device which can immobilize a person, in this case a pursuing cop who is armed, and while immobilized, the person can take possession of the cop's gun.

The issue here though is there are two cops in pursuit, so it is a bit iffy if deadly force was justified with two, while if it was one there is no question it would be justified. Of course an investigation into this would provide more clarity and answers, but seems the gov and people want a knee jerk reaction like some uncivilized mob.
If i were the cop who was being fired on by a violent criminal with a taser that could immobilise me, I wouldn't leave the outcome in the hands of a third party and hope for the best, I would defend my life.

Old 06-13-2020, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
Two cops were chasing him so him shooting one with the taser and grabbing the cops gun while his partner is 4 yards away is highly unlikely. I swear you guys make stuff up as you go. I make this as clear as possible. A cop is only to use deadly force if his life or someone else life is in immediate danger. So the question here is dependent on the question was the cop life in immediate danger when he fired his weapon. The fact that they just fought the bad guy is not the deciding factor here. They were not fighting him at the time he was shot. I'm not picking sides here but simply asking questions both sides are going to ask.
Well you are plain wrong as a matter of fact with regard to use of deadly force.

With regard to the bold, is "unlikely" the gamble you would be prepared to take if it were your life on the line?

Old 06-13-2020, 11:20 PM

34,045 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The persons left behind in those neighborhoods aren't thinking about that. Yes, I agree that a good education helps. On the flip side, I think about the dynamic we're seeing. I'm seeing people who shoot and ask questions later. People who have deep reserves of anger and don't think about what their doing when they're angry. Anger and short term thinking. What can one do with that?
Those who refuse to think long-term will fail. I do not waste time thinking about them. Their failure was self-inflicted.

Cities will de-populate, far more than most realize, after the multiple rounds of riots.

So the left behind failures will only have their neighbors to harm. Problem contained.

Old 06-13-2020, 11:20 PM

24,623 posts, read 9,454,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Wendy's called the cops, so it is their fault. According to some people, a dude sleeping in the drive thru should not have the cops called on him.
He was blocking the the drive thru, at night. Which means he ignored the sound of honking.

And considering he was in a drunken rage, calling the cops was the correct thing to do.

Do you want to be the 10pm burger flipper that wakes up a random sleeping man in an ATL parking lot and tells him to leave or you’re calling the cops? I didn’t think so.

And progressives want social workers to answer that call, why? So the perp can beat them up too?

Old 06-13-2020, 11:22 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,096,970 times
Get ready for the media to not give a Crap about “social distancing” anymore also blame what happened and the ensuing riots on Trump somehow

Old 06-13-2020, 11:23 PM

Quote:
He was running from two cops when he fired the taser at one of them. So you are saying it is justified to shoot him because he could have hit the officer with the taser and took his weapon while the cops partner is 4 yards away. Now I would agree with you if he would have turned and advanced toward the officer.
The fact that he was running is irrelevant. The simple fact is he fired the taser at the cops, and had previously shown his intent to inflict injury on the cops.

You seem to think this is a video game or something. Of course he could disarm the immobilised cop within seconds, and of course the other cop could miss or not inflict an immediately mortal or incapacitating injury. It isn't a movie where someone dies immediately when hit by a round.

Old 06-13-2020, 11:24 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,412,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
If i were the cop who was being fired on by a violent criminal with a taser that could immobilise me, I wouldn't leave the outcome in the hands of a third party and hope for the best, I would defend my life.
Did the person fire the taser or about to? I cannot recall, all I recall is they were pursuing him, got to go read again.

You are correct though, this is where an investigation suppose to take place for these answers. Two cops pursuing yes, he uses the taser on one, so, now the one cop standing use deadly force? Should any cop risk as you said? The guy already proven to be able to wrestle and get a hold of a taser, should both of those cops trust it will not happen again, or worse, get a hold of a gun?

We are asking cops to make such decisions in a few seconds, and for that decision to be 100% correct.

Old 06-13-2020, 11:25 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
In the last page:

You do know we blacks are statistically the most violent demographic in America right?

You want the stats? Here you go:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race..._United_States

So yeah, I’m going to go ahead and say criminal behavior and violence is not the answer.

You said it’s “too late” for black criminals out there. Really? It’s “too late” to decrease the homicide rate?
That was not meant to be a defense for criminal behavior. I'm simply telling it like it is. This is why people are doing what they do. It's not an excuse. It's simply the way it is. And this is why I've said that for some of these individuals, it's too late. We're talking about a subculture of persons who shoot and ask questions later. We're dealing with people who've dealt in violence their whole lives. It's all they know. They're not going to listen to you or me. All they've known to understand is violence. You live by the sword, you die by the sword. The only way murder rates have even gone down in most cities effectively is gentrification. Many of those violent criminals only stop after being killed. Those Black people who aren't criminals will look for any way to get out of the neighborhood.

By the way, I know plenty about those statistics. I also know it's one specific part of the Black population involved in this, the underclass. The underclass keeps on doing what they do.

I've never once said that violent behavior is the answer. You can't point to a time where I've said it was the answer. I've never advocated violence. I've said that for many of these individuals, violence is the only thing they know. By the time they're 20, some of them don't care if they live or die. Tell me this. What can you do with an individual who doesn't care if they live or die? What do you do about someone who has such severe anger issues, to the point where they shoot (in some cases literally shoot) and ask questions later? The time to have reached those individuals to keep them from criminal behavior was like age 5 or 6. I've even said in other threads that many of those individuals were raised in violent households.

Old 06-13-2020, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Immediate danger and physical harm is one in the same
You said Life is in immediate danger. That is obviously not the same as physical harm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies