Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2020, 12:01 PM

24,464 posts, read 9,322,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Yeah, no jury is convicting the officer on this, there's enough grey involved

He'll also be getting a big settlement too for unlawful termination

This is what can happen when a perpetrator such as this drunk driver resists arrest and fights police officers. It's unfortunate but that's the way it is
It won’t even get to a jury or grand jury.

No district attorney is dumb enough to prosecute or indict these cops.

The body cam footage is 90 minutes long on youtube, cops did nothing wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2020, 12:02 PM

8,146 posts, read 6,887,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Is it out now. I haven't been reading the news.

I found it 44 minutes.

Again -- I stand by my immediate reaction -- in this climate, this guy wasn't a harm to anybody...when he started running for a DUI....you let him go. You have his car (they must have had his license too -- it's the first thing they ask for right?) That's all they needed to be able to charge him, impound his car.

It was not worth shooting him in the back for.

It was wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong....the guy was drunk.

He was not a harm to the community unless he was driving.

And they had his car....let him run.

IF the goal is community safety -- not showing power....let him go.

For the record I don't think he was shot because he was black......BUT it does seem more and more minorities, lower income folks are the victims of police aggressive reaction to petty crimes.

It is an issue.

He just fought 2 police officers then he stole the taser from one officer, and tased the officer, ran away and then tried to tase the other officer as he's running. And you're going to let him just run? That would be absolute incompetence on the behalf of the officer if he let him run. The man is obviously DESPERATE, which is the most dangerous kind of person you could ever deal with in that moment. If you were that cop, I doubt you would have really reacted any differently. The cop may not have known that the guy only made off with the taser, he could have thought he grabbed the other cop's gun, the guy running after all of that can be given NO benefit of the doubt. It's just the way it is.

Now, if they let him go in the beginning (and by letting him go, I mean making him call a cab and getting his car impounded, and getting him out of there and back home) then I am ok with that, and honestly wished that's all that happened. But the cops decided to arrest him.

Once Mr. Brooks made that decision to fight the officers, physically assault them, run and then turn around and once again try to assault the officer with the taser, his fate was pretty much sealed. He, unfortunately, made a horrible, HORRIBLE decision and he paid for it with his life.

Just my opinion.
Could change if more info becomes available.

Last edited by .sparrow.; 06-14-2020 at 12:14 PM..

Old 06-14-2020, 12:02 PM

18,675 posts, read 7,546,354 times
Were the cops SURE he didn't also have a gun?

The guy was acting violently, fighting with cops, not once but several times. Then he ran, stopped, turned, pointed something at the cops, and pulled the trigger.

They had zero seconds to decide whether it was a gun, a taser, a little laser pointer, etc. And it was dark, making it even more difficult to tell what he was pointing at them.

They reacted the way I would have reacted: they fired at him.

That's a completely legitimate response by police, to somebody fighting them, running away, then turning and pointing something at them. If they hesitated long enough to determine whether it was a gun or a taser, there's a pretty good chance they could wind up dead. Their training is very precise in such a case: You shoot, right now, and keep shooting until there is no more threat.

Don't want to get shot by cops? Don't fight them, run, and then turn and point something at them. Especially at night when they can't easily see what you're pointing at them. They WILL shoot you... exactly as they should.

Old 06-14-2020, 12:03 PM

24,464 posts, read 9,322,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
the sad truth is the loudest complainers could never get through the application process to become a cop. They wouldn't cut it by virtue of their past, credit history or physical condition.
Yup. The sad truth is that the liberal anti-police crowd is also the liberal anti-2nd amendment crowd.

Certainly they can see how contradictory those stances are.

Old 06-14-2020, 12:05 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,547,329 times
Come on. They should have told him to go to his sisters house or they should have driven him home. They could have thrown Frosty's at him to stop him. There was no need to shoot this man as he was running away from them when all he had done was fall asleep because it was taking so long to put together his order.

Old 06-14-2020, 12:05 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,550,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camo_Butterfly View Post
The suspect fired the tazer gun at the officer, as seen in the video footage. Tazer guns can immobilize people. What if the officer had been tazzed and the suspect stole the officer's gun while he was immobilized? He could have easily killed the officer. If the suspect was white there would be no protests and the officer would not have been fired.
"What if"? So now it is OK to kill a person on "what if"? He fell asleep in line at Wendys, he didn't try to rob them. From the beginning, the officers could have handled it better IMO.

Old 06-14-2020, 12:11 PM

2,400 posts, read 751,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Not really- the guy had a taser. He deserved to be arrested - not shot dead as he ran - shot in the back? no
Nothing like having a bunch of Monday morning QB’s as judge and jury.

What needs to happen is any video that is to be evidence of a crime needs to be examined by experts before its released to the public or it automatically gets throw out as evidence.

Old 06-14-2020, 12:11 PM

11,685 posts, read 5,700,835 times
We've yet to get an autopsy report to see what else is in his system. The guy admitted he had at least 1 1/2 drinks but couldn't remember what they were. We have yet to know if he has a record which may have been a deciding factor in their decision to arrest him.

As I watched the video - he seems drunk but is polite and does as they ask and the police were calm. The whole thing turned south with the handcuffs and it's unfortunate but you're a fool if you think you can fight with the police, grab a taser, fire the taser at the officer and walk away alive.

On a better note and one which you won't see on national news stations - I'm sure this plays out in a lot of towns but no one speaks of the cops and community getting along without one kneeling for the other.

https://www.wivb.com/news/top-storie...ds-with-a-hug/

Old 06-14-2020, 12:12 PM

17,212 posts, read 14,492,063 times
CNN’s narrative:

Since police officers first words after the shooting was “I got him” and not “I’m glad I’m alive!” this was not a lawful shooting in the interest of public or personal safety.

Old 06-14-2020, 12:15 PM

10,398 posts, read 3,987,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
The left sure knows how to pick their hero's!

Bad is good and good is bad.
Look who they picked to be the Presidential nominee. Heck, all of this crap is happening in democrat controlled districts. You'd think they would learn after the first 50 years of no change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies