Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2020, 09:40 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,494,478 times

Advertisements

NYC is not Detroit. Dumb thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2020, 10:15 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,003 times
The population leveled off around 2016 and has declined every year since then. probably not enough to notice but after this year maybe lol.

Old 06-16-2020, 02:56 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IridiumSky View Post
I think most of the big corporations will leave because there are troubles constantly brewing. The new laws, the people, the unchecked criminal elements, and the politics are too big of a liability now for all businesses.

It’s not even a place that supports the best and the brightest people anymore. When peoples opinions and thoughts are relentlessly censored, the whole New York state of mind is no longer sustainable. It’s a mediocre big city now, unless you can somehow prove otherwise.
There was major corporations here even when organized crime was at its heyday, when the crack boom happen,

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I wonder how many re-open.

This year for NYC metro has been the perfect bad storm.
If a lot of vacancies, rent will just go down. There is always positives.

Old 06-23-2020, 07:30 PM

268 posts, read 177,053 times
NYC will never be Detroit. That's silly. But it's true that the "heyday" of NYC for this phase of the 21st century at least may be over for all the obvious reasons. I'd say it peaked around circa 2013, just from my standpoint. Even a good couple of years before Covid, people and businesses were leaving due to prices that were just astronomical, and on top of that, technology has allowed "office world" to decline a bit. Now that Covid has happened some people won't return to offices period. Add on the riots NYC residents had to witness, and you can bet that won't help matters at all. Lastly, one thing that has absolutely gotten worse in NYC is the homeless, which can't be surprising in a city controlled by the disaster that is Bill Deblasio.

Old 06-23-2020, 07:43 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,863,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
These move-out numbers are staggering, & its not even peak moving season yet.

Has NYC has passed its population peak?...Is it all downhill from here...like Detroit & Cleveland? Are Democrat policies unsustainable long term, or are humans just not meant to live so close together in large numbers?

Republican link:

https://www.foxbusiness.com/real-est...lease-signings

Democrat link:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/15/manh...he-market.html

This trend began a few years back, but the pandemic has made it an exodus on steroids.

The tax base is being decimated. Florida has already taken Billions in net tax revenues from New York, and now this new wave will hasten NYC's demise.

The future of this one great city is bleak. The Democrat controlled cities across the U.S. are crumbling.

This cannot be a good omen for the November elections.
I think NYC will recover quicker than the rest of America.

Much of the stimulus and money printing out of thin air that went to the financial sector ends up in NYC anyway.

NYC has a much, much better future than Chicago, Los Angeles, Houston.

Old 06-23-2020, 08:09 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,840,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
I left Long Island 5 years ago. Taxes were out of control and now it has become a liberal cesspool!!!

And you made it out to tell the tale!!! OMG!!!

Pssst...NYC has always been "liberal." Including Donald Trump himself.

Old 06-23-2020, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
There really aren't many areas of Staten Island with taxes around $12,000 a year unless it is a home worth $1,000,000. Long Island? Yes, but Staten Island and NYC, not so much (NYC does have a city income tax, but the property taxes itself are actually lower than most of the region)
$12k a year for an average house would be more like Jersey.

Old 06-23-2020, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI7788 View Post
NYC will never be Detroit. That's silly. But it's true that the "heyday" of NYC for this phase of the 21st century at least may be over for all the obvious reasons. I'd say it peaked around circa 2013, just from my standpoint. Even a good couple of years before Covid, people and businesses were leaving due to prices that were just astronomical, and on top of that, technology has allowed "office world" to decline a bit. Now that Covid has happened some people won't return to offices period. Add on the riots NYC residents had to witness, and you can bet that won't help matters at all. Lastly, one thing that has absolutely gotten worse in NYC is the homeless, which can't be surprising in a city controlled by the disaster that is Bill Deblasio.
Technically 2016 was the last up year for population growth but it was basically leveling off by then. 2015 was the last solidly up year. So for at least the past 3 years of complete records it has been steadily loosing people and not much question 2020 will be a bloodbath. Instead of 20-30k they could easily find that 200-300k people have left. So, 4 years in a row is no fluke. That's a trend. 2020's could end up being the 1970's all over again.

Old 06-23-2020, 10:53 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,087,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
I left Long Island 5 years ago. Taxes were out of control and now it has become a liberal cesspool!!!
Left Long Island 5 years ago as well.
2 Bedroom apartment in Smithtowon cost around $3500 a month.

Old 06-24-2020, 08:42 AM

268 posts, read 177,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Technically 2016 was the last up year for population growth but it was basically leveling off by then. 2015 was the last solidly up year. So for at least the past 3 years of complete records it has been steadily loosing people and not much question 2020 will be a bloodbath. Instead of 20-30k they could easily find that 200-300k people have left. So, 4 years in a row is no fluke. That's a trend. 2020's could end up being the 1970's all over again.
I am respectfully saying and can also 99% guarantee you that last line will not be true. NYC is a completely different ballgame right now when compared to where it was in let's say 1970 before it fell into despair. There has been a solid foundation built from the days of Rudy and then Bloomberg and that is not going to change anytime soon.

Rent will go down, people will eventually move in. Maybe they won't be upper class citizens and celebrities but they will be people. Will NYC be what it was in it's heyday of late 90s thru early 2010's? No. But that doesn't mean it's going to turn into some sort of dump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Left Long Island 5 years ago as well.
2 Bedroom apartment in Smithtowon cost around $3500 a month.
Was the apartment made of 24k gold? I've lived on LI my entire life and can tell you that's on the extraordinarily high end for a 2 bedroom apartment in that town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies