Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2020, 05:43 AM

3,515 posts, read 7,783,097 times

Advertisements

This is pretty much a non-issue, no government with any common sense, Democrat or Republican will dis band the police department. This is the same kind of vapor ware campaign promises of forgiving all student debt. Political babble, will never happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2020, 06:00 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
There are bad areas. Going to them at the best of times is something a trucker does at great risk to his or her life. But these are not the best of times. We are experiencing non-stop riots.
Where? We had some unrest the 1st weekend in Miami and Ft Lauderdale, and after that it has been all peaceful, and same seems to be the case everywhere, except some isolated incidents like one Altlanta neighborhood where the latest cop shooting took place, and since the shooter was a cop, it is evidence their LE has not been abolished.

There are no cities which have abolished LE, and none that are planning it. Someone poster just said places like New York City is now too dangerous to drive into. That is just pure fear-mongering, and complete nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
I expect that a lot of truckers remember Reginald Denny.
Sure. It happened 28 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
This is pretty much a non-issue, no government with any common sense, Democrat or Republican will dis band the police department. This is the same kind of vapor ware campaign promises of forgiving all student debt. Political babble, will never happen.
Its the same old fear-mongering the mainstream republicans are famous for.

Old 06-15-2020, 07:47 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,016,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
The shortage of truckers has a lot to do with the career being considered close to being obsolete, (due to the rise of self drive trucks). Last time I checked, 'truck driver' (as a career choice), was labelled as the top career that will be obsolete within our lifetimes.
Wrong.

https://hbr.org/2019/09/automation-i...ckers-obsolete

Old 06-15-2020, 10:12 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post

He's right, if you looka the article one reason they give is operating a pallet jack. This assumes we can't have automated pallet jack which is something already being done. This isn't going to happen overnight but within a decade automated driving will have made significant inroads and within 20 or 30 years most vehicles including trucks will be autonomous.

Old 06-15-2020, 10:26 AM

54,496 posts, read 33,866,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Can you name one such city, and can you name few trucking companies who are choosing to not delivery to a city (name the city).
City: Minneapolis, MN - A friend of mine is a long haul trucker who works for a company based in southern California and mentioned to me that they suspended deliveries to the area temporarily because of the recent riots.

I'm not sure why you would ask me to name a city and trucking companies but large companies such as Swift, Marten, JB Hunt, and their decisions to not put their drivers, equipment and the goods in jeopardy would have made sense.

Like others have mentioned, independent truckers can make their own decisions on what cities they want to deliver to..

Old 06-15-2020, 10:43 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
What's up with the personal BS? Show me a post where I have said I want to defend anything. Do that, or admit you are here only to stir thins up with personal nonsense.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TO: FINN JARBER

That's not a personal attack. That's an attack on what you wrote. Difference.

And what you wrote was right out of the Hillary 2016 playbook: "Deplorables" can go find other work besides what they are doing now. The world's changing, blah blah blah.

Old 06-15-2020, 10:51 AM

3,771 posts, read 1,524,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Same with other first responders beyond Law Enforcement (Fire Fighters - EMTs).

In violent areas of many cities, cops currently secure and stabilize an area before FF's/EMTs can go in. If scenes are violent and chaotic (gun fire, violent mobs etc.) and there is no law enforcement presence, these first responders will not go in.
henceforth they shall be known as second responders.

Old 06-15-2020, 11:04 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,071,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post

Sorry if you are having a hard time with this, but THAT IS THEIR COMPLAINT. That's what this whole thread is about. They are saying they wont deliver to those imaginary cities which do not have LE (yes, such places do not exist) because they are afraid to go there.
The issue is not the truckers being afraid. The issue is you *blaming* them for being afraid and telling them to get another job, erroneously stating that there will be plenty more truck drivers where those came from.

You further refuse to condemn the continuing violence (saying it's mostly over), take seriously major threats to police funding, or consider the social or economic consequences of this mess.

You continue to over simplify the whole situation.

Old 06-15-2020, 11:07 AM

5,983 posts, read 2,236,544 times
Lots of people need jobs.
Truck driving pays well for the most part.

I don’t see a problem here. Plenty of people that will do it, got 20 million new candidates sitting at home right now.

Old 06-15-2020, 02:41 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
LOL at some of you thinking people are lined up to become truck drivers, I guess you think folks are lined up to become police officers too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies