Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2020, 09:57 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,280,259 times

Advertisements

Take down a statue
Rename a street
Confederate and even some state flags should be abolished

Does history not matter at all anymore? Maybe I can see certain things changed or abolished because they represent pure evil, like a swastika. But for instance here in Boston, they renamed the street in front of Fenway Park from Yawkey Way to Jersey Street because the Red Sox were the last team to have a black player.

Where is the blurred line? How far does this movement go? And is this movement of name changing and statue removal really beneficial to the overall cause, or are there better ways to approach it?

Last edited by metalmancpa; 06-14-2020 at 10:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2020, 10:13 AM

97 posts, read 42,244 times
It stops when the normal people, the silent majority who pay taxes, follow the rules and aren't extremists one way or the other get fed up and demand it stops.

I was heartened when Boston had Italian Americans protesting the removal of the Christopher Columbus statue and Tampa had a rally in support of the police. A mob should not get to decide for everyone else what statues we are allowed to have

Old 06-14-2020, 10:33 AM

10,443 posts, read 4,030,967 times
It's only because it's an election year, and the side crying about this has a good chance of losing. If they win, watch all this disappear and things stay the same. If they lose, watch this disappear and then the "Russia, Russia, Russia" chant comes back while they flood the country with more immigrants that they will put into the Black neighborhoods because the Black vote is failing them yet again.

Old 06-14-2020, 10:35 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,542,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Take down a statue
Rename a street

Does history not matter at all anymore? Maybe I can see certain things changed or abolished because they represent pure evil, like a swastika. But for instance here in Boston, they renamed the street in front of Fenway Park from Yawkey Way to Jersey Street because the Red Sox were the last team to have a black player.

Where is the blurred line? How far does this movement go? And is this movement of name changing and statue removal really beneficial to the overall cause, or are there better ways to approach it?

As far as they can get away with moving the goalposts.

Old 06-14-2020, 10:37 AM

18,429 posts, read 8,258,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
exactly...it will never stop

Old 06-14-2020, 10:39 AM

43,056 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
The latest "goalpost" is now changing any subdivision that has the name "Plantation" in it.
Seems the word "Plantation" now triggers people.

https://wpde.com/news/local/group-pu...ame-from-signs

Old 06-14-2020, 10:44 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
Excerpt: Are we in the era of changing/removing any names remotely connected to something negative?

Response: I am waiting for the word white to be changed to pearly or ivory.

Old 06-14-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
The latest "goalpost" is now changing any subdivision that has the name "Plantation" in it.
Seems the word "Plantation" now triggers people.

https://wpde.com/news/local/group-pu...ame-from-signs

OMG yeah. I remember when wedding couples got pressured to stop using wedding venues that had anything to do with plantations! Gorgeous venues, virtue-signaled right out of existence.

Old 06-14-2020, 10:50 AM

I no longer live on the same planet of my birth! Where I come from, nobody ever died because someone used the wrong word.

I have a sign on my front door that says "Politically Incorrect Zone". If words hurt you, stay the **** out of my space.

Old 06-14-2020, 11:19 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,065,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Take down a statue
Rename a street

Have you heard about what is happening at Clemson and at The University of Texas?

Clemson, after years of complaints, renamed Tillman Hall and Calhoun Honors College. Tillman was an SOB by all accounts (to put it mildly). I don't necessarily mind changing the names of those things (got my Master's degree at Clemson) but I am bothered by two things:

First, the statement that Clemson University put out that the renaming had to do with George Floyd and the usual comments about self-reflection. There has been a push to have these name changes done for at least five years. Are they sincere or are they caving to mob mentality?

Second, why stop at those two names? Thomas Green Clemson (Calhoun's son in law) was pro slavery and fought for the confederacy. Why isn't his name racist? The land the university occupies was once worked by slaves. Isn't that racist? How about Pickens County, the name of the County where Clemson is?

As for Calhoun, there are literally dozens upon dozens of places named after him. Calhoun County, Calhoun Falls State Park, Calhoun, GA, Fort Calhoun, NE, Calhoun HS, and dozens more. Shouldn't all those names be changed?

~~~~

What's happening at The University of Texas is even more interesting. The football players have issued a statement with a list of demands. They say they will practice and play (one said he won't play at all), but not recruit or meet with donors, until their demands are met. These include: changing the name of the stadium (to be named after the first black football player at UT); doing away with the song "Eyes of Texas"; renaming several buildings; removing several statues and replacing them with statues created by POC; donating .5% of athletic revenues to BLM (estimated to be at least $1MM); and requiring freshmen to take a course on the history of racism at UT.

My understanding is that several of those building names, statues, and the song are points of contention. Requiring donations to BLM and requirements to take a course on the history of racism at the campus seem trickier.

~~~~

All this to say, I don't know where the renaming of things ends. Most people have no clue why something is named as it is. I don't agree with honoring terrible people but I also don't agree with extortionist demands. Also how do we erase the whole history of the southern states?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies