Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2020, 12:27 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,438,068 times

Advertisements

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid_South

Before the voting rights act of 1965, the voting base in the south was solidly made up of white conservatives who voted democrat.

FDRs biggest voting share came from the deep south.

What happened? Free market ideologies came from the north east like Ayn Rand or Coolidge (well the latter wasn't a free market ideologue but you get the idea)

Free markets and big industry were dominant in the north, while the poor working class south supported traditional institutions, federal help for the poor, etc.

Now they want Paul Ryan to come in and wreck their states for the sake of Walmart and Goldman Sachs.

What gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2020, 12:33 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,418,644 times
Obviously those white cons went to the GOP for cultural conservatism but that doesn’t just include racism.

Old 06-14-2020, 01:31 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Go read up on Kevin Phillips.

Old 06-14-2020, 01:47 PM

18,502 posts, read 9,170,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post

Before the voting rights act of 1965, the voting base in the south was solidly made up of white conservatives who voted democrat.

What happened? Free market ideologies came from the north east like Ayn Rand or Coolidge (well the latter wasn't a free market ideologue but you get the idea)

Free markets and big industry were dominant in the north, while the poor working class south supported traditional institutions, federal help for the poor, etc.

Now they want Paul Ryan to come in and wreck their states for the sake of Walmart and Goldman Sachs.

What gives?
It’s very simple: the Democrats embraced the Civil Rights Movement of the 1960s, which alienated many white conservative southerners.

Nixon took advantage of the situation and brought many of those voters into the Republican Party. Google “southern strategy.” It’s why so many poor working class white people vote Republican, even though Republican “free market” and “free trade” ideologies destroy their lives and communities.

Unfortunately, Democrats have also capitulated to neoliberal economic ideology, so there is no real alternative. People end up voting along tribal lines.

Meanwhile, the top 0.1% just keeps getting richer and more powerful at the expense of the 99.9%.

Old 06-14-2020, 02:11 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,464,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
It’s very simple: the Democrats embraced the Civil Rights Movement of the 1960s, which alienated many white conservative southerners.
That is true. My relatives were in Mississippi politics as Democrats in the 1950's and 1960's. As far as I know they all became Republicans by some time in the 1970's through 1980's. Practically the entire party structure went over, and my family among them.

To be fair, in a lot of ways there was not much difference between southern Democrats and Republicans at that time. In Congress they often worked across the aisle to defeat national Democratic legislation.

Old 06-14-2020, 03:01 PM

18,502 posts, read 9,170,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Go read up on Kevin Phillips.
I assume you mean this guy:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevi...al_commentator)

I had never heard of him until your post above. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I’ll have to read more about him.

Old 06-14-2020, 03:03 PM

30,390 posts, read 19,184,321 times
Quote:

What gives?
They became less racist and therefore less Democrat.

Old 06-14-2020, 03:14 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,464,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
They became less racist and therefore less Democrat.
That's funny.

The blacks of Mississippi just happened to switch from the Republicans to the Democrats in the same general time frame. Does that mean that they were attracted to this racism you are claiming?

Please explain.

Old 06-14-2020, 03:21 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,116,202 times
Quote:

What gives?
If you want to understand the cultural shift of Dems to Repubs, just listen to the GOP heartthrob Ronald Reagan: "I didn’t leave the Democratic party, the Democratic Party left me."

Old 06-14-2020, 03:38 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
If you want to understand the cultural shift of Dems to Repubs, just listen to the GOP heartthrob Ronald Reagan: "I didn’t leave the Democratic party, the Democratic Party left me."
I would also look at what Lee Atwater said:

Quote:
As to the whole Southern strategy that Harry S. Dent, Sr. and others put together in 1968, opposition to the Voting Rights Act would have been a central part of keeping the South. Now you don't have to do that. All that you need to do to keep the South is for Reagan to run in place on the issues that he's campaigned on since 1964, and that's fiscal conservatism, balancing the budget, cut taxes, you know, the whole cluster.
Quote:
Y'all don't quote me on this. You start out in 1954 by saying, "N-word, n-word, n-word". By 1968 you can't say "the n word"—that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites. And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me—because obviously sitting around saying, "We want to cut this", is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than "N-word, n-word, n-word". So, any way you look at it, race is coming on the backbone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies