Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2020, 05:38 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,376,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
This is the problem with talking about things like "black people" and "white people" as if you can make accurate statements about entire groups of people without looking at context and details. If we compared a successful black person with, say, my parents who live in a trailer park and can barely afford groceries...which one is more 'privileged?' Is that even a fair question when we should be trying to help all people live better?

The successful black man gets pulled over by cops just for being black--which may very well endanger his life-- but at the same time has a beautiful home, good health care, a meaningful career etc. My parents, and many people in their community can't afford dental care and other necessities. They have horrific sub-standard health care. My dad is an invalid from going into septic shock after their crap hospital botched a routine surgery. They must have not seen his white privilege. People literally die from lack of decent health care and from 'deaths of despair' all over poor white America. Aren't they both struggling in different ways?

Racism is real and should be pointed out every time it occurs so we can fix it. But not all whites are privileged! Many live powerless lives in depressing communities where people have little to do all day but pop pills and sleep. Poverty is real---and it is absurd to persist with this white privilege narrative when many whites are living in abject poverty and powerlessness. It's like rubbing salt on a wound. Why do we have to think in such binary terms?
Sorry to hear about your folks' troubles, sincerely.

However, you seem to misunderstand the idea of white privilege based on this post.

You do rightly point out that there are other forms of privilege beyond race-based scenarios.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2020, 05:48 AM

586 posts, read 314,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Thoughts? Jon Stewart blowing it out his a$$ yet again.

Old 06-16-2020, 06:19 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,796,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Sorry to hear about your folks' troubles, sincerely.

However, you seem to misunderstand the idea of white privilege based on this post.

You do rightly point out that there are other forms of privilege beyond race-based scenarios.
Thank you.

How would you interpret his idea of white privilege and 'two Americas?'

The way I read it, he seems to be saying that there are 'two Americas' in that we are segregated primarily by race, and that is enforced through policing. That theory is becoming the pre-eminent ideology and interpretive lens of this cultural moment: that race is everything. It's like in Marx--economic class is everything. Or like some radical feminists who say that misogyny is everything. It is the one and primary lens that human experience, and even history, is forced to be interpreted through.

I have a problem with grand sweeping ideologies like that because they distort reality in service to ideology. Then, they justify extreme and reckless things (like getting rid of police) to bring about the radical change that their ideology says is the only way to fix things. Grand sweeping ideologies like this lead to nowhere good, IMO. It's not that I don't think they make valid points, however.

Old 06-16-2020, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
Thank you.

How would you interpret his idea of white privilege and 'two Americas?'

The way I read it, he seems to be saying that there are 'two Americas' in that we are segregated primarily by race, and that is enforced through policing. That theory is becoming the pre-eminent ideology and interpretive lens of this cultural moment: that race is everything. It's like in Marx--economic class is everything. Or like some radical feminists who say that misogyny is everything. It is the one and primary lens that human experience, and even history, is forced to be interpreted through.

I have a problem with grand sweeping ideologies like that because they distort reality in service to ideology. Then, they justify extreme and reckless things (like getting rid of police) to bring about the radical change that their ideology says is the only way to fix things. Grand sweeping ideologies like this lead to nowhere good, IMO. It's not that I don't think they make valid points, however.

White privilege doesn't mean that no white people ever experience any struggles or adversity in their lives.

I don't know if we're primarily separated by race, but it's certainly a pervasive and impactful way that we're separated still today. Yes.

Old 06-16-2020, 06:34 AM

12,957 posts, read 13,671,429 times
A successful black man can look like another black hustler to some cops.

Old 06-16-2020, 06:50 AM

20,329 posts, read 19,918,958 times
How would he know?

Old 06-16-2020, 08:06 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
https://www.breitbart.com/entertainm...-two-americas/
Quote:
“There’s not a white person out there who would want to be treated like even a successful black person in this country. And if we don’t address the why of that treatment, the how is just window dressing,” the former Comedy Central host said. “The policing is an issue, but it’s the least of it. We use the police as surrogates to quarantine these racial and economic inequalities so that we don’t have to deal with them.”

Thoughts?
Let me be Snoop for a day.
Stewart used to be reasonable, he's somehow lost his senses and is into drama. Maybe he's trying to be relevant again.

Old 06-16-2020, 08:08 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
White privilege doesn't mean that no white people ever experience any struggles or adversity in their lives.

I don't know if we're primarily separated by race, but it's certainly a pervasive and impactful way that we're separated still today. Yes.
People choose to self segregate. It's free will and it's beautiful to use it. I encourage everyone to exercise free will while not violating the rights of the individual.

Old 06-16-2020, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
People choose to self segregate. It's free will and it's beautiful to use it. I encourage everyone to exercise free will while not violating the rights of the individual.
That is not at all what's under discussion here, however.

Old 06-16-2020, 08:37 AM

18,561 posts, read 7,368,531 times
Quote:
I think all of us, white or black, can agree that we'd prefer to be treated like a member of Stewart's ethnic group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies