Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2020, 09:16 PM

24,624 posts, read 9,449,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Well duh, of course that's why he ran. But it didn't even have to get to that point.
Then don’t resist arrest, fight cops, disarm them, run, and point the taser back at them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2020, 09:18 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,878,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
So allow a dangerous violent felon who is armed to have a bigger lead so that maybe he can steal a car?

Damn man, it seems like the only people you care about are criminals. I'm sad too that he'll never again have the chance to beat his wife and kids, but there's just no intelligent argument that his shooting wasn't justified.
Yep. A whole 15 feet of lead. The Perp who is 10X over the legal limit. HUUUUUUUUUGE risk I know.

As I said before if it was unavoidable, I would support it. If the Brooks had an actual handgun that was lethal and not easily neutralized, I would support the shoot.

I supported the cop who shot Brown. That was a good shoot and justified.

This shoot was not justified.

I don't support criminals. I do support holding cops to a standard as high as they hold us.

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
But that is not what happened. He WAS a threat. He just fought two police officers and stole a taser and tased a cop as he was running away.
This is not accurate; Brooks tased no one. He apparently failed in an attempt to do so and then the officer shot him while fleeing. He absolutely was not an immediate threat at that point.

And the situation was unnecessarily escalated to this point, which occurs in too many police/civilian interactions. And then when it gets there, people want to holler and scream about the victim deserving it while completely letting the officer off the hook for pushing the situation to the edge in the first place.

6,738 posts, read 2,908,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Ran because he was on patrol and it would mean immediate jail.

Not right but not worth being killed for.

Let him run - had his car, his license and the guy was not a danger to anyone but himself.
But now he is in a better place and the fam got rid of a violent bum

Old 06-17-2020, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepNation View Post
I agree. I have no idea why they felt the need to arrest the man. They should have simply allowed him to call his family to pick him up. Isn't that "community policing"?

Those two are toast. Anything else is delusional.
The arrest was justified. Anyone else would have been arrested, except for maybe a fellow cop, or politician.

Brooks was dead wrong for fighting the arrest.

The cops were dead wrong for resorting to a lethal solution when so many others were available.

Old 06-17-2020, 09:22 PM

8,957 posts, read 2,556,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
The Perp who is 10X over the legal limit.
You parroted that stupidity earlier and I pointed out how laughably wrong you were....why am I having to do it again? 10X the legal limit is more than twice what it would take for you to potentially die.

Seriously, are you just trolling me?

You don't allow armed violent felons to just run off into the night and you can't assume that you can stay 20 feet behind him or whatever nonsense you dreamed up by watching too many movies and playing too many video games.

I can tell by your answers that you have no real life experience with that kind of danger, so I'm going to excuse your ignorance....or your trolling whichever it may be. Just know that in the real world, when someone points a weapon at you, that's when you shoot them.

Old 06-17-2020, 09:23 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Then don’t resist arrest, fight cops, disarm them, run, and point the taser back at them.
Cops need not unnecessarily escalate situations until they get to that point--ESPECIALLY when tensions are already running high in the city due to the protests, and the Atlanta PD already has enough of a shady reputation as it is and this cop in particular for trying to cover up shootings he'd been involved in previously. It's just insane.

Old 06-17-2020, 09:23 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,646,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
It's perfectly obvious to anyone who can read that all the cops needed to do was allow the gap to open between themselves and Brooks and the Taser would have been as harmless as a wet towel.

There was no need for lethal force.
You don't know that b/c he was stopped !!! Its what the cop thought not what an armchair quarterback thinks !!!
Did the cop think that Brooks could be a danger to others if he escaped ? There is every reason to believe he did !!! If he will attack an armed cop, an unarmed citizen that won't give him what he wants like a hiding place or a vehicle to continue fleeing is commonsense !!! That was one justification why legislators argued for making assaults on cops a greater or enhanced penalty !!!
The cops take an oath to enforce the law, not to let criminals flee arrest !!!

Last edited by phma; 06-17-2020 at 09:32 PM..

Old 06-17-2020, 09:26 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,522,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Cops need not unnecessarily escalate situations until they get to that point--ESPECIALLY when tensions are already running high in the city due to the protests, and the Atlanta PD already has enough of a shady reputation as it is and this cop in particular for trying to cover up shootings he'd been involved in previously. It's just insane.
What was the unnecessary escalation by the police?

Old 06-17-2020, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
If a civilian shot a person who had assaulted them and then was pointing a taser at them, there would either not be a trial at all, or they'd easily beat the case in most states.
Maybe, or the jury would be told how easy it would have been to avoid any danger from the taser. Back off a step or two to open the distance to greater than 15 feet. From 10 feet to 15 feet?

The jury would be told how I knew the perp, where he lived, had his ID. They would then be asked to decide if knowing all these things if I really needed to shoot the perp?

I expect a cop to know the limits of his own weapons that he carries. If he doesn't he should be fired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies