Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2020, 10:29 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,652,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
It's crazy. My theory is it's all political insanity for the election. The police are the scapegoat and systemic racism is the buzzword in the democrat political contrivance this election. Last election whites were the scapegoat and white supremacy was the buzzword but that failed obviously. The democrats are trying to rile up and pander for the black and the black sympathetic votes. The Republicans and Trump also want some of this voting block so are standing down and being quiet and letting it go. This is emboldening the Democrats so they're going even more hog wild.

After the election is over and not much is at stake and Trump wins, the Republican will step up and restore sanity and the democrats will stand down. Now if Biden wins or I'm just wrong, then we really are screwed lol.
The FBI should be kicking in the doors at the DNC and arresting these domestic terrorist !!!

Cut the head off the snake !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2020, 10:38 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
Thanks for posting. This is the first I've seen of this particular video. I absolutely don't see how anyone can blame the police officers in this incident.

Who is the African American officer at the end of the video with the white shirt and black tie who comes over and says are you good? we'll take care of you bro. He seems decent and like he isn't against what the officer did, I wonder if these other officers will support the officer who fired the shot?
Is it a matter of blame or question that what they did was justified and the only options? If the officer had missed, which absolutely happens a lot, where would those bullets have gone?

What many, myself included wants to know is why do we hold the police to a lower standard than we do civilians? We should be holding them to a high standard.

Questioning why a cop responded the way he did is not being anti-cop, it is being pro-society.

Brooks wasn't a good man, that goes without saying. He was wrong in every single thing he did from the moment he started to resist arrest. That also is not in question.

The cops were outstanding with him. Even during the brawl. I don't believe that they are bad cops. I simply question whether or not that shooting Brooks in the back 3 times was justified and I question the argument that the Taser made them afraid for their lives. Do they know the weapon that they carry or not? If not they should be fired.

Why is it that the Police in the USA are so quick to resort to lethal force? Would it surprise you to learn that no other first world country even approaches our numbers?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ers_by_country

That is what I question. Why are we as likely or more to be killed by our own police as say Mexico? Take note of the killings by per million. We are 46.3 people killed by police per million. Germany is 1.3, Japan is .2, United Kingdom is .5.

This should make everyone ask what makes us so different and do we have to be so different??

Old 06-17-2020, 10:44 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,691,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Is it a matter of blame or question that what they did was justified and the only options? If the officer had missed, which absolutely happens a lot, where would those bullets have gone?

What many, myself included wants to know is why do we hold the police to a lower standard than we do civilians? We should be holding them to a high standard.

Questioning why a cop responded the way he did is not being anti-cop, it is being pro-society.

Brooks wasn't a good man, that goes without saying. He was wrong in every single thing he did from the moment he started to resist arrest. That also is not in question.

The cops were outstanding with him. Even during the brawl. I don't believe that they are bad cops. I simply question whether or not that shooting Brooks in the back 3 times was justified and I question the argument that the Taser made them afraid for their lives. Do they know the weapon that they carry or not? If not they should be fired.

Why is it that the Police in the USA are so quick to resort to lethal force? Would it surprise you to learn that no other first world country even approaches our numbers?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ers_by_country

That is what I question. Why are we as likely or more to be killed by our own police as say Mexico? Take note of the killings by per million. We are 46.3 people killed by police per million. Germany is 1.3, Japan is .2, United Kingdom is .5.

This should make everyone ask what makes us so different and do we have to be so different??
Well, the biggest difference is that in places like Western Europe, Japan & South Korea, civilians aren't really allowed to own handguns. So, when the police make a traffic stop or respond to a call, they are generally very certain that they aren't dealing with a suspect that has a gun. That likely makes everyone involved less jumpy and less likely to make rash decisions. About the worst that they would encounter in the UK or Japan would be knives, as knifings apparently do happen at a decent rate in the UK. Still, it creates a totally different environment and I do believe a decent percentage of their officers don't even carry guns as a result, since they know they won't encounter suspects with guns. Now, I am not saying that I am anti-gun (before anyone jumps on me) but I just wanted to explain the primary cultural difference.

Old 06-17-2020, 10:45 PM

2,949 posts, read 1,355,291 times
The shooting was justified. The end.

14,229 posts, read 4,593,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Well maybe not or maybe they would see common sense.. I just am not pro violent cops who feel that because they have a badge that the law doesn't apply to them.

I'll back a good shoot all day every day. I backed shooting Michael Brown. That was a good shoot.

I backed the home owner who shot an exchange student, who was caught in the homeowners garage.

Ill back a homeowner shooting a perp in the back after the SOB was in his house.

Cops I hold to a standard. The same standard to which they hold us. Why is that wrong?
Our society is asking and expecting police officers to enforce laws, and sometimes have to inflict necessary violence in order to enforce law on our behalf. Yet, you are expecting police to hold to the exact same standard like a regular citizen? Do you call neighbor or friend to deal with a drunk or people with potential for violence?

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
Your mental gymnastics are impressive and honestly a bit hilarious. I'm curious, in your crazy little world is it "illegal" to assault police officers and steal deadly weapons from them?
He probably was guilt of assault (we don't know that) certainly theft, but neither were capital offenses, per SCOTUS.

Old 06-17-2020, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Then don’t resist arrest, fight cops, disarm them, run, and point the taser back at them.
He wasn't under arrest. Listen to what the DA evidence stated.

Old 06-17-2020, 10:48 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,440,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I never said any of this; I am not making specific blanket statements since there is always context to consider. But even after all of that, Brooks was fleeing and did not constitute an immediate threat when he was shot, and the arresting officer violated procedure by not informing Brooks that he was under arrest and the reason.
The bolded is clearly a bogus charge since the arrest was resisted and not completed.

He told Brooks "You've had too much too drink to drive, put your hands behind your back." Before he could say You're under arrest.........etc. Brooks started fighting.

Old 06-17-2020, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy ol' Man View Post
But now he is in a better place and the fam got rid of a violent bum
Such a huge respect for the sanctity of life. [sarcasm mode off now]

Old 06-17-2020, 10:51 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,691,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
The bolded is clearly a bogus charge since the arrest was resisted and not completed.

He told Brooks "You've had too much too drink to drive, put your hands behind your back." Before he could say You're under arrest.........etc. Brooks started fighting.
I would agree with you on that they the officer wasn't really given the opportunity to finish cuffing him, tell him what the charge would be and read his miranda rights. I would also point out that just putting handcuffs on a suspect isn't a violation because officers are allowed to put cuffs on a suspect or individual in order to "detain" them as part of an investigation; it doesn't even mean they are being arrested & charged with a crime and it isn't viewed as a violation of their rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies