Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2020, 01:15 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
This amounts to a spam thread.

The OP has duplicated what is essentially the same thread that he has posted recently before.
Call the cops on him.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2020, 01:18 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,905,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I agree it's broken, but you still can't seem to wrap your brain around why it's broken.

It's broken, because there's no universal education requirement. If the States refuse to implement that, then Congress or the President can mandate it.

Minimum mandatory BA/BS from a traditional university, not Bob's Community College.

Studies over the last 3 decades have proven a correlation between education level and brutality, misconduct, criminal activity and disciplinary action. The least educated cops commit the greatest number of acts.

It's broken because there's no psychological testing. If the States refuse to implement that, then Congress or the President can mandate it.

There are valid tests. They weed out bullies and those with low self-esteem, overly-aggressive, violent, bigots and full-blown racists.

Why don't police departments use them?

I'll give you 100 guesses and the first 200 don't count.

Unions.

Unions won't allow it.
You got every right until the last part, it's not the unions, it is the pay. You enact all those great requirements, cities will not be able to hire at 20K a year. They will holler and scream we can't afford it!
The fact is, raise the requirements and pay, quality of personal increases every time!
In most cases they have lowered the qualifications just to obtain applicants to fill the open jobs. It "used to be" the Atlanta Police Department required an Associates Degree, due to trying to get applicants and filling their minority quota, they had to lower the requirement to just HS or GED.
These cities have hired and put on the street the very folks they are trying to recruit, sadly!

Old 06-16-2020, 01:19 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,398,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Call the cops on him.

Your comebacks are as dumb as your philosophy.

Old 06-16-2020, 01:38 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,590,770 times
Quote:
This amounts to a spam thread.

The OP has duplicated what is essentially the same thread that he has posted recently before.

If the OP didn't like the answers that he received as to why relying on private policing is unequivocally a bad idea, he should have found another forum for his illogical propaganda rather than start spamming this one.

Yeah, I guess I should create more "explain systemic racism to me" threads. We clearly don't have enough.

Old 06-16-2020, 01:47 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
Where's the evidence that private security doesn't practice racial profiling any less than govt police? I remember a controversy where I live where a new downtown mall got complaints that their security was targeting Black male teens and preventing them from entering. Private troops in Iraq were a disaster too.

Old 06-16-2020, 01:49 PM

6,473 posts, read 6,679,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastwalk444 View Post
Let's back up and examine this narrative that publicly funded policing is broken. Yes abusive and racist cops need to go. No argument there.

But I'd like to see statistics that show how many hundreds of thousands of interactions the police have with the public versus how many times they acted with too much force and/or out of racism.

We are just being asked to swallow this narrative because the media and the left say so. Let's examine it first.
I'm open to being wrong. I just think we need a level headed discussion of how bad the problem really is and if the solution does not cause more problems.

Isn't that the adult, responsible solution?
Excellent post, very much like what I was going to ask. I read earlier today a post on CD by a police officer, who said that 98% of police officers never fire their gun in their entire career. (I haven't dug deeper to see if that is accurate) and some other statistics which seem to indicate that overall, police brutality occurs in a very tiny percentage of interactions. Maybe that poster will join this discussion.

Right now there is too much race-baiting by the media. George Floyd, black man, killed by white cop. We all know the media attention and ensuing chaos that situation started.

But the 31-year old black man who pushed a 94-year old white woman off her feet, causing her to hit her head on a fire hydrant and end up in the hospital? Good luck even hearing about that from the media, and if you do, it certainly won't mention the race of either person.

The media wants us to believe that police=bad, white=bad.

IMO, bad cops need to be dealt with, and other cops need to feel safe in reporting bad cops. And the media needs to stop mentioning the race of suspects and victims, or at least be consistent and mention it every single time.

Old 06-16-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Where's the evidence that private security doesn't practice racial profiling any less than govt police? I remember a controversy where I live where a new downtown mall got complaints that their security was targeting Black male teens and preventing them from entering. Private troops in Iraq were a disaster too.
They could practice racial profiling. The key thing is, you can fire the security firm that does this instead of being forced to pay with a firm that uses methods you don't agree with. But try again

Old 06-16-2020, 01:56 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Your comebacks are as dumb as your philosophy.
Us anarchists pride ourselves on consistency so that's a bonus.

Thanks.

Old 06-16-2020, 01:57 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,736,454 times
I'm willing to try whatever works, but I'm not a big fan of the idea that whoever can afford it can have great security, while the poor can't reliably have any security. If you want privatization, figure out how to make it work for everyone. Today's police are pubic employees are public employees because they're supposed to serve everyone equally regardless of wealth, status or class.

Old 06-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Excellent post, very much like what I was going to ask. I read earlier today a post on CD by a police officer, who said that 98% of police officers never fire their gun in their entire career. (I haven't dug deeper to see if that is accurate) and some other statistics which seem to indicate that overall, police brutality occurs in a very tiny percentage of interactions. Maybe that poster will join this discussion.

Right now there is too much race-baiting by the media. George Floyd, black man, killed by white cop. We all know the media attention and ensuing chaos that situation started.

But the 31-year old black man who pushed a 94-year old white woman off her feet, causing her to hit her head on a fire hydrant and end up in the hospital? Good luck even hearing about that from the media, and if you do, it certainly won't mention the race of either person.

The media wants us to believe that police=bad, white=bad.

IMO, bad cops need to be dealt with, and other cops need to feel safe in reporting bad cops. And the media needs to stop mentioning the race of suspects and victims, or at least be consistent and mention it every single time.

People seem to think disproving a racial motive behind policing somehow disproves fundamental problems with policing. This is why I never present policing problems as soleg racial ones. The reality is that even if you subtract racism, or unarmed shootings. You're still left with countless cases of police misconduct.

And you're ask "how many encounters with police are fine". Well I have to ask, define "fine".

How many interactions with police were even wanted at all? How many were unwanted and stupid traffic stops? How many situations were escalated? And what was the overall value behind these interactions?

Most people interact with cops through traffic stops. Most of them are unwanted. Majority of them arent civil. Just because someone doesn't get body slammed on concrete or shots, doesn't mean it was a "good interaction". It probably can't be good because it was forced. And did the cop even need to make the stop anyway? Chances are no. But they have to make arrest and get revenue for the city, so that's the reality.

I think the issue is cops are constantly graded on a curve. That is why too many people think cops are fine. Not because they don't do the wrong thing, but because we just make excuses for them when they do the wrong thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies