Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2020, 06:42 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
While I do agree the move to rapid condemnation is unfortunate, it is all a symptom of the suspicion the other side is incapable of rational thought, and therefore doesn't deserve tolerance and a chance to respond.

Unless people are actually interested in coming together, I don't find the debate on which side has lost its mind first is of any use.
There is no debate. Democrats have clearly gone bat guano crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2020, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
I know a at least a dozen hippy era liberals.

Most quietly hate the SJW cancel culture left. They will not say it loud and they are NOT by and large turning into Trump supporters. For small example: They are horrified that the very free speech they fought so hard for is being destroyed.
They can go quietly to the razor like Taibbi said. Hating them and purging them from your party are two different things. What use are they if they still vote for the politicians who enable this? Now is the time to vote against the democrats and send a message. Otherwise they’ve lost their party to the far left. Assuming it’s not already too late.

Old 06-16-2020, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Taibbi has been there before. He roasted the media after the Russian collusion scheme went to pot.

He's definitely in the liberal camp - but every so often the truth smacks him in the face. At least he doesn't ignore it or stuff it in the closet.

Glen Greenwald is another liberal journalist who will on occasion call out the group think.
Did Greenwald fire the guy at The Intercept? I couldn’t get that far in the article. Taibbi seems just a tad too willing to allow this exact stuff as long as they stick to conservatives, but once they start canceling media personnel it’s not cool.

A bit like Frankenstein’s monster huh?

Old 06-16-2020, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
His work on the financial crash was great. He's a moderate leftist, like me. I despise money in politics, support European style social safety nets, oppose aggressive foreign intervention, and think in general the rhetoric of the right about "parasite class" that holds over from the Reagan era is tone deaf to new economic realities.

I also don't think chaos is good for furthering civilization, think the new religion of social justice/cancel culture (now anti-racism focused) is a farce and regressive, and the crushing of free speech that started on college campuses is a threat to open thought.

I'll admit that I thought this mentality was not nearly as dangerous as the right stated..that it was indeed mostly confined to college campuses. There were plenty of "SJW's" on my college campus in the 90's.

but with social media, the impact has been much further reaching that I thought it would be. i was wrong about that. It's bad and this current situation shows how dangerous it is.
It’s very dangerous. You’re just now starting to feel the bite. Y’all were fine with it until it came back to you. Loved how the author of this article was so aghast at the reporter at The Intercept being called a racist. Can you believe it? Well, try being called that for the last ten years for no reason.

Old 06-16-2020, 07:50 PM

45,541 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Did Greenwald fire the guy at The Intercept? I couldn’t get that far in the article. Taibbi seems just a tad too willing to allow this exact stuff as long as they stick to conservatives, but once they start canceling media personnel it’s not cool.

A bit like Frankenstein’s monster huh?
Fang is still there.

Old 06-16-2020, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Fang is still there.
Well, good for Glenn. If he fires the other staffers then I’d have more respect for him. That’s got to be a toxic environment.

Old 06-16-2020, 10:34 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,083,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politic...ampaign=buffer

“The leaders of this new movement are replacing traditional liberal beliefs about tolerance, free inquiry, and even racial harmony with ideas so toxic and unattractive that they eschew debate, moving straight to shaming, threats, and intimidation,” Taibbi continued.

Probably found out the far left is coming to burn them down as well. Hope it's not too late for them.
I've read many of his articles through the years...and he's FAR left. Apparently he (like his buddy Maher) were too stupid to see this is exactly what he's been (unknowingly, I guess) been pushing for all this time.

Old 06-16-2020, 10:50 PM

3,727 posts, read 2,551,518 times
It's good that someone within the muckraking media is publicly recognizing the damage it is causing.. but it's also ironic & unsympathetic to some degree.
Rolling Stone has been left wing agitators for years. The slanderous Sabrina Erdely' article (about a fake UVa frat rape), embodies all the incidiary insanity this editor now recognizes & resents. Guess better late than never. But I encourage ppl to still ignore Rolling Stone until it withers & vanishes ~

Old 06-16-2020, 11:20 PM

2,264 posts, read 970,896 times
Revisionists like Taibbi who are attempting to derail the Cultural Revolution will discredited bourgeois ideas about so-called "free-speech", "due process" and "rule of law" will be purged from public life and banished into obscurity.

Old 06-16-2020, 11:30 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,426,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlete View Post
Revisionists like Taibbi who are attempting to derail the Cultural Revolution will discredited bourgeois ideas about so-called "free-speech", "due process" and "rule of law" will be purged from public life and banished into obscurity.
It's where we're headed. Through the rest of 2020 watch as more speech gets restricted. More people will be fired for saying the wrong thing. Bank accounts will be frozen, internet and phone be restricted or cut off for people who engage in Thoughtcrime. The vise is tightening, and it's going to get worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies