Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2020, 06:52 AM

6,829 posts, read 2,115,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
OR

We could all wear masks, keep our distance from most people whenever we can, and limit the hosts for the virus.

Which scenario saves more lives?
Wearing masks for the rest of our lives and social distancing? No thanks. We will never drive this virus away, and I'm not prepared to sacrifice the quality of the rest of my life in some hypochondriac obsessiveness to never be sick.

There is no such thing as saving lives. We all die. All we do is save time. But quality of time is important too.

How this virus impacts us is mostly based on genetics and the rest is state of health at moment of infection. Most people will just shrug this virus off, because of genes. A minority will be hospitalized, and a minority of those will die. This is sad, tragic, for them and their loved ones, but the human race will continue. And I for one don't want to lose the few moments I have on this earth left worrying about this.

Old 07-11-2020, 06:54 AM

6,829 posts, read 2,115,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
But Europe reopened carefully and they aren’t setting records. They had it under control now testing can’t even keep up with the surge rendering contact tracing useless.
Europe is not setting records right now (except maybe in E. Europe) because their first wave was so bad. Like in NY. But it's still too early to tell. They just began gradual reopening. And in some cases, we're seeing an increase in cases again.

Old 07-11-2020, 07:30 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
What about the hundreds of thousands of “protestors” that Democrats are making special exceptions for? As long as Democrats say it’s OK to gather en masse, shoulder to shoulder, screaming and spitting, then people should be allowed to go to restaurants and theaters, spaced out by a few feet.
I clearly was speaking about my community that had little protests.

And yeah I agree, going to a protest is dumb. A protest to protest shutdowns. A rally in support of a President. A protests to protest social injustice ---- all dumb ideas in a pandemic.

And you don't have to mandate a restaurant shutdown --- they are shutting down anyways.

Old 07-11-2020, 07:32 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Even back in May we knew we had slowed the spread but also knew that it just wasn't to automatically disappear. Whether states opened up in May or waited until Aug - you were going to have an uptick as people started to re-establish society even with all the mandates and protection provisions. I don't know why this is a surprise to everyone. Like the flu each year - it has to run it's course.

I don't hear any medical experts supporting your 'run its course' recommendation.

It's one idea I'm sure, one idea not working out well.

Why have other countries done such a great job containing and we can't.

I understand a city like NYC but in communities in South Carolina we don't have the density, there should not be the numbers there are.

Old 07-11-2020, 08:00 AM

8,120 posts, read 3,663,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
Europe is not setting records right now (except maybe in E. Europe) because their first wave was so bad. Like in NY. But it's still too early to tell. They just began gradual reopening. And in some cases, we're seeing an increase in cases again.
Lol, "just began"? Kids even went back to school in multiple countries to finish the year.
Let's take Germany
83 million
200k confirmed cases (and they had plenty of testing early on, because you know they didn't screw it up)
6-7k cases at the peak, about 400/day at present
Deaths per day at the peak about 300, currently single digits
So they are in the end of this wave, with mortality 1/4 of that of the US. Where are we on the curve?

P.S. they reopened after Rt was well bellow 1, for good period of time and if course with protective measures in place instead of arguing about f. masks.
Yes, there will be spikes but when the overall numbers are limited you can track, trace and clamp down very locally and you can keep up as a result.

Old 07-11-2020, 08:27 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Kinda like mandating don't kill anyone, or don't rob people, or a simple thing like obey the speed limits. How's those mandates working out? I'm trying to make a point, nothing more.
They are working out pretty well. Vast majority of people obey them. Thanks for pointing it out.

Old 07-11-2020, 08:40 AM

25,436 posts, read 9,793,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Even back in May we knew we had slowed the spread but also knew that it just wasn't to automatically disappear. Whether states opened up in May or waited until Aug - you were going to have an uptick as people started to re-establish society even with all the mandates and protection provisions. I don't know why this is a surprise to everyone. Like the flu each year - it has to run it's course.
Would to God everyone had adhered to the mandates and protection provisions. Some did, but many did not. That's why the numbers of cases and deaths have gone up and will continue to climb. It's hard to watch.

Old 07-11-2020, 08:41 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
They are working out pretty well. Vast majority of people obey them. Thanks for pointing it out.
Agree.

We need laws in our society.

Old 07-11-2020, 10:36 AM

14,956 posts, read 9,790,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
and the vast majority of people wear masks has been my experience.

Oh and by-the-way ... the vast majority do not obey speed limits.

Old 07-11-2020, 10:48 AM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times
Bottom line: You have an out of control pandemic on your hands. You can choose to be part of the problem or you can choose to be part of the solution. It’s a binary choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies