Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2020, 09:20 AM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,875,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I thought the Karens were the ones who didn't want to wear a mask?
Karens are privileged self-righteous ones who want their own way, whether it be forcing everyone else to wear a mask or; not wearing a mask in a store that requires it.

Old 07-24-2020, 06:47 PM

57,264 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Karens are privileged self-righteous ones who want their own way, whether it be forcing everyone else to wear a mask or; not wearing a mask in a store that requires it.
So now health experts are Karen's.\\

Old 07-28-2020, 05:13 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Now FL / AZ situation seems to be easing.

It shows the common sense measures work. It's interesting that the Republican controlled Miami-Date county took the measures further than any other county, even handing out tickets to people who did not obey the mask mandates. Having said that, the situation in Miami-Dade was worst than any other county, so maybe the measures were warranted.

So, we can conclude:

1. Masks / distancing work
2. The claims about political motivation was pure nonsense

Old 07-28-2020, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
They lost a lot more than Norway, Finland and Denmark. But they lost a lot less than UK, Belgium, Spain and Italy who did massive shutdowns.
Italy, Spain etc were hit fast and hard and were overwhelmed before they knew it, while Norway, Sweden and Finland had an equal amount of time to prepare, and NOR / FIN took one path, and SWE took another, and SWE's path cost them 10X number of deaths vs NOR / FIN. That's why those three countries are a good comparison, while you can't compare Norway to Italy.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 07-28-2020 at 05:31 AM..

Old 07-28-2020, 05:49 AM

57,264 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post

It shows the common sense measures work. It's interesting that the Republican controlled Miami-Date county took the measures further than any other county, even handing out tickets to people who did not obey the mask mandates. Having said that, the situation in Miami-Dade was worst than any other county, so maybe the measures were warranted.

So, we can conclude:

It looks like many states are now trending downward but they need to be careful.

I guess science actually works.

Old 07-28-2020, 05:53 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,803,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
It looks like many states are now trending downward but they need to be careful.

I guess science actually works.
Looks like plateaus are being hit, but they're much higher than anyone wanted. I'm also concerned about the switch from reports going through the CDC to HHS. I follow the Covid-19 tracking project on Twitter and they're saying there are glitches and inconsistencies in the data. Hopefully temporary but I don't understand the timing of that change. We need reliable data now more than ever.

Old 07-28-2020, 05:57 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,624,543 times
Experienced closings yesterday. Many restaurants got the message and they are closing for eat in customers.

Old 07-28-2020, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Looks like plateaus are being hit, but they're much higher than anyone wanted. I'm also concerned about the switch from reports going through the CDC to HHS. I follow the Covid-19 tracking project on Twitter and they're saying there are glitches and inconsistencies in the data. Hopefully temporary but I don't understand the timing of that change. We need reliable data now more than ever.
I don't trust any data coming out of the Trump government after he he spent 5 months lying and downplaying the issue. There is only one reason he would want to scrap CDC sourced data, and that is to manipulate it for political reason.

I look at the State specific data from Johns Hopkins, which is a reliable source:

Florida 7-Day trend.

Texas and Florida Covid Cases spiking. Restaurants re-closing.-annotation-2020-07-28-075908.png Texas and Florida Covid Cases spiking. Restaurants re-closing.-annotation-2020-07-28-075937.png

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/cor...242270081.html

Old 07-28-2020, 06:03 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:

So, we can conclude:

"Lockdowns" and destroying our economy were unnecessary.

Our "experts" (that told us for months not to wear masks) were wrong.

We STILL don't know what NY did quite so badly to end up with a death rate 6 times that of Florida (to say nothing of Texas). Maybe the FL governor did not force nursing homes to take Covid patients?

Old 07-28-2020, 07:23 AM

35,045 posts, read 16,987,357 times
Quote:

So, we can conclude:

Not really. I think when an area gets slammed, the way New York did, some sort of resistance or immunity kicks in. I don't like the term "herd immunity" but I think most people who, for whatever reason lack resistance get sick. Others, by contrast do not. I think that common-sense steps such as masking, some amount of distancing and perhaps during outbreaks closing theaters and gyms make sense. But lockdown does not.

Quote:
Italy, Spain etc were hit fast and hard and were overwhelmed before they knew it, while Norway, Sweden and Finland had an equal amount of time to prepare, and NOR / FIN took one path, and SWE took another, and SWE's path cost them 10X number of deaths vs NOR / FIN. That's why those three countries are a good comparison, while you can't compare Norway to Italy.
The economic cost was lower in Sweden. And suicides and mental health issues matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies