Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2020, 11:14 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
The thread title is a lie, but not unexpected given the source.
The thread title is accurate, but your inaccurate attempt at rebuttal is not unexpected, given the source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgss View Post
66% of new coronavirus patients in N.Y. stayed home

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world...mo/ar-BB13HKJO
If you even bothered to read the two-month-old article, you'd find that "stayed home" means only they were "not commuting to work on a regular basis." It does not mean they were in their homes 24 hours a day.

Old 06-18-2020, 11:15 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,195,293 times
IF a democrat wins the presidency - COVID-19 "will go away" as far as the MSM is concerned and therefore not really heard about anymore.
It'll be all "roses, lollipops, and living in a perfect world". (cough-cough)

Old 06-18-2020, 11:18 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,195,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
The thread title is accurate, but your inaccurate attempt at rebuttal is not unexpected, given the source.

If you even bothered to read the two-month-old article, you'd find that "stayed home" means only they were "not commuting to work on a regular basis." It does not mean they were in their homes 24 hours a day.

"What the h3ll do you want?" I love that in your profile.

Yes, I read that article - if there was not really any foot traffic there at that time where would they be going with businesses shut down?

Old 06-18-2020, 11:26 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
IF a democrat wins the presidency - COVID-19 "will go away" as far as the MSM is concerned and therefore not really heard about anymore.
It'll be all "roses, lollipops, and living in a perfect world". (cough-cough)

Why should you care seeing you only believe the 200+ Trump Approved Right Wing online sources which I am sure will still be spewing their garbage after the November election, your covered..

Old 06-18-2020, 11:28 AM

8,146 posts, read 3,674,077 times
Quote:
In Tanzania, a goat, a papaya and a quail tested positive for COVID-19.
https://greatgameindia.com/tanzania-...d-19-positive/

So maybe, just maybe, our animals in the USA have COVID-19 too. (shrug)
Not clicking on the link but
are they in the hospital , lol (as in human hospital)?

Old 06-18-2020, 11:29 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
"What the h3ll do you want?" I love that in your profile.
Are you stalking me? LOL

Quote:
Yes, I read that article - if there was not really any foot traffic there at that time where would they be going with businesses shut down?
I apologize for assuming you didn't read it.

Where have I been over the past three months ... grocery store, gas station, drug store, hardware store, post office, pet store (the cat puts up a real fuss if she isn't fed regularly). I've gone to the office a few times, but was one of only 2 or 3 people there and we wore masks and stayed in different parts of the office. The wildest thing I've done is to sit on my neighbor's front porch, in my own chair that I dragged across the street, with a beer and snacks I brought myself. Oh, and I picked up a purchase from Facebook marketplace.

The people surveyed weren't necessarily at home the entire time before contracting the virus; they just weren't going to work. They could have been extremely careful when going out, or they could have thrown caution to the wind, or anything in between.

Old 06-18-2020, 11:38 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
The six number came from the article.
If an article mentions six in JAX, how does that translate to there being only six in Florida, or in JAX?

Old 06-18-2020, 11:45 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Do you think most small businesses can be profitable operating like that? Restaurants and bars are a tough industry to make it in even the best of times.
They'll just have to find a way to adapt. My favourite Thai restaurant has been booming with business from emphasizing delivery service, which they never had before. Now, bars would definitely be harder.

However, there could always be an exemption for independent small businesses under a certain size. There's no reason companies like Walmart and Bloomingdale's couldn't abide by occupancy limits and similar guidelines.

Old 06-18-2020, 11:55 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
We have to get herd immunity somehow. Everybody who is going to get Covid-19 is going to get it. Just a matter of when, not if.

The point of the shut-downs was not to overhelm the ICU beds and respirators. As long as that is not happening, then what does it matter how many people get Covid-19 now as opposed to later.

Is there any evidence this is going to just end, like SARS?

So I don't have any problem with us getting Covid and just taking our lumps. I would say, protect the elderly in the small hope they can avoid infection altogether, but the rest of us just have to take our lumps.

The economy, soaring suicides, rampant domestic and child abuse, depression, anxiety, drug use, weight gain, and soaring calls to poison control can't take much more of shutting down. We need to just get out and take our hit, either masked or unmasked.

Wash your hands a lot.

We need herd immunity and the sooner the better ever since we found out the death rate for Covid-19 is a bit higher than a normal flu bug. It is not Smallpox or the Black Death we are talking about here -- unless you are old obese, and have other serious conditions. I'm quickly getting there!
I don't think the world is prepared for what the state of the world population will be afterwards though. A significant percentage of COVID19 patients are coming out of the ordeal with permanent health problems after.

Is the US, or the world in general, prepared to deal with an economy permanently weakened by a whole lot more unproductive and chronically damaged people? Never mind how the healthcare system will fare...

I agree that the virus will strike everyone, one way or another. But I'm concerned at the lack of anticipation (much less preparation) for the aftermath.

Old 06-18-2020, 11:58 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
If an article mentions six in JAX, how does that translate to there being only six in Florida, or in JAX?

I'm going by the sentence in the article that says
"At least six bars in northern and central Florida have now announced their closures amid new Covid-19 cases, which peaked on Sunday."

Northern and central Florida. Nothing about JAX. And I'm sure there are more but that's all the author felt secure in asserting.

How many bars total have re-opened or still in the process of re-opening? Whatever the number is that re-closed, let's put it in scale and not act like it is representative of the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies