Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2020, 01:32 PM

15,834 posts, read 6,543,563 times

Advertisements

What would be informative perhaps is a national map showing how stretched the ICU resources have become. I suspect most states are okay in that regard, but a handful are probably in the red zone.

Old 07-05-2020, 01:34 PM

3,346 posts, read 1,268,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Well, it's ALSO being overblown by the usual left wing partisans on C-D. They feel they need to advance their agenda.
If you care about the economy and getting Trump re-elected, then you would make a big deal out of this pandemic. Both are intimately connected. You can’t have a uncontrolled pandemic and economic growth. Epidemiologists have been telling us this from the very beginning.

Old 07-05-2020, 01:35 PM

25,736 posts, read 12,815,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
New cases along with increased hospitalizations and percent testing positive are prime indicators that we are failing. Younger patients are testing positive in greater numbers and there is increased possibility that they will in turn spread the disease to older citizens.

Better medical practices from experience has led to lower mortality but with massive infections there will most likely be increased mortality.

We are failing in new infections compared to other countries, this is why the hospitals are being overwhelmed in these states. The entire point was to keep this at a manageable level.

I have yet to hear one health expert claim that any of this is being over blown.
It's just a darned Acorn Chicken little. Best to worry about New York, New Jersey, & all the Liberal states where the deaths per capita are 5-9X what they are in Florida and Texas.

500,000 people have fled New York in March! Even so, 24,000 died in New York! 14,000 in New Jersey.

Trump is tied with Biden in Florida now, and Trump's got the momentum with the great jobs report last week, and Kanye getting into the race today which is going to pull balck votes from sleepy Joe.

Old 07-05-2020, 01:41 PM

57,281 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
It's just a darned Acorn Chicken little. Best to worry about New York, New Jersey, & all the Liberal states where the deaths per capita are 5-9X what they are in Florida and Texas.

500,000 people have fled New York in March! Even so, 24,000 died in New York! 14,000 in New Jersey.

Trump is tied with Biden in Florida now, and Trump's got the momentum with the great jobs report last week, and Kanye getting into the race today which is going to pull balck votes from sleepy Joe.

That's not much of a response to the current surge in Florida, just a deflection. I wonder how bad it would have to be to at least admit these governors made a mistake.

Old 07-05-2020, 01:56 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,314,711 times
Quote:
That's not much of a response to the current surge in Florida, just a deflection. I wonder how bad it would have to be to at least admit these governors made a mistake.
Made a mistake about what? Letting bars and restaurants reopen? So when was that supposed to happen? Ever?

Look at the case of Allegheny County, PA. In a county with a population of 1.2 million people we had about 2,500 cases, which usually increased by about 20 a day. In early June restaurants and bars finally reopened at half capacity. They were open for about three weeks before the county had two days where there was an increase of 90 new cases a day, after which the county executive ordered bars and restaurants to be shut down again. If that wasn't a good enough time to reopen, then when would be?

Old 07-05-2020, 02:58 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,709,679 times
Quote:

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov

This virus does not recognize Red and Blue States, and now, tragically, we are seeing that one's political affiliation is not the shield some thought it was against this very serious, vexing and lethal virus. This is a grave public health crisis and Americans need to recognize that we are in this together, despite the uninformed and uneducated views of some.

Old 07-05-2020, 03:17 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Let me put this in persepective for you all:
Prime example of the adage "figures don't lie, but liars can figure".

Quote:
Cases do not mean squat because such a low % of cases die. Deaths should be the focal point, not cases.
Death isn't the only concern with this disease. Anyone not living under a rock the past month or so knows that COVID-19 is leaving people with long-lasting health compliations. And not just young people.

Cases also mean squat because the number illustrate how widespread the disease is and will continue to be unless we change our behavior.

Quote:
Its nearly a non-event, its being OVERBLOWN by the media who is trying to sell advertising...ignore it.
Sez you. The increasing numbers of sick and dead say otherwise.

Quote:
Well, it's ALSO being overblown by the usual left wing partisans on C-D. They feel they need to advance their agenda.
Despite your pathetic attempt at trying to advance your own lame and unfounded agenda, the only agenda I have is to stay healthy. That should be yours as well, and the agenda of everyone.

Quote:
New cases along with increased hospitalizations and percent testing positive are prime indicators that we are failing. Younger patients are testing positive in greater numbers and there is increased possibility that they will in turn spread the disease to older citizens.
Yes, we are failing, and it scares the crap out of me - not just the human toll, but the mindset of people who believe COVID-19 is a hoax, a conspiracy, a lie; the people who dismiss education, science and medicine; the people who prefer willful ignorance to education and information.

Quote:
I have yet to hear one health expert claim that any of this is being over blown and that new infections are irrelevant
Nor have I, and I think I'll continue to listen to them instead of internet crackpots and conspiracy theorists.

Old 07-05-2020, 03:21 PM

57,281 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Made a mistake about what? Letting bars and restaurants reopen? So when was that supposed to happen? Ever?

Look at the case of Allegheny County, PA. In a county with a population of 1.2 million people we had about 2,500 cases, which usually increased by about 20 a day. In early June restaurants and bars finally reopened at half capacity. They were open for about three weeks before the county had two days where there was an increase of 90 new cases a day, after which the county executive ordered bars and restaurants to be shut down again. If that wasn't a good enough time to reopen, then when would be?
Letting bars, movie theaters and gyms reopen with some restrictions or none at all. No mask requirement or contact tracing, low level of testing. But mostly not following the guideline criteria for phased reopening. Many states have delayed reopening for the same reasons PA, they need to have enforcement in place to react. We had a bar/restaurant on LI with a capacity of 50 and they had 250 people. they lost their liquor license. You cannot rely on good behavior.

Old 07-05-2020, 03:38 PM

186 posts, read 67,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Prime example of the adage "figures don't lie, but liars can figure".

Death isn't the only concern with this disease. Anyone not living under a rock the past month or so knows that COVID-19 is leaving people with long-lasting health compliations. And not just young people.

Cases also mean squat because the number illustrate how widespread the disease is and will continue to be unless we change our behavior.

Sez you. The increasing numbers of sick and dead say otherwise.

Despite your pathetic attempt at trying to advance your own lame and unfounded agenda, the only agenda I have is to stay healthy. That should be yours as well, and the agenda of everyone.

Yes, we are failing, and it scares the crap out of me - not just the human toll, but the mindset of people who believe COVID-19 is a hoax, a conspiracy, a lie; the people who dismiss education, science and medicine; the people who prefer willful ignorance to education and information.

Nor have I, and I think I'll continue to listen to them instead of internet crackpots and conspiracy theorists.

Could not rep you again. Nicely done. Worth repeating.

Old 07-05-2020, 03:40 PM

186 posts, read 67,353 times
Quote:
Exactly. And did anyone else notice how the lying media/Democrats no longer talk about deaths? Now they bleat about new cases.

Who cares about "new" cases? They have been there ALL ALONG but we didn't have the testing capacity to discover them.

The fact is this virus is losing its potency just like it has in every other part of the world. The Democrats don't want this to be true, but it is. Every word out of every liberal's mouth about the virus is politically motivated and dishonest.

Cases rising. Hospitalizations increasing. Deaths will follow. Willful ignorance rolls on as illustrated above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies