Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 10:59 AM

2,400 posts, read 751,387 times

Advertisements

Global Warming should Trump this. So not allow greenhouse gases to be produced just to bus kids to a school far away when they have a school within walking distance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2020, 11:00 AM

88,784 posts, read 44,594,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
The root cause of that bigger civil rights issue is public education.

Just like the police unions protect bad cops, teacher unions protect bad teachers.

Eliminate both unions, and watch the inner cities rebound
100% correct. Step up to the plate and fix it, lefties.

Old 06-17-2020, 11:00 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,041,487 times
Tone perfect. Real issue for parents and their kids. not the hoodlums and malcontents taking all the air time.

Old 06-17-2020, 11:05 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,421,476 times
President Trump calls school choice the civil rights issue of the decade

Highly over rated. Our nation's informed electorate was built on public schools, they made this republic of common folks literate in an egalitarian way.

This is just another of many attempts to privatize everything from prisons to parking spaces and bridges and dams, air traffic control and the military and anything else they can think of of any value for skimming a profit out of that the very rich can get their hands on.

The USA wasn't built this way, there is nothing traditional or conservative about the concept, it's just an asset or process grab by rich investors with pockets full of money since getting their outsized and obscene tax breaks.

Old 06-17-2020, 11:09 AM

68,299 posts, read 54,213,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
100% correct. Step up to the plate and fix it, lefties.

Because righties, with control of both the White House and the Senate are too inept to do anything?

Or do they just not give a rat's patootie about the alleged "issue of the decade"?

Old 06-17-2020, 11:13 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,489,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Because righties, with control of both the White House and the Senate are too inept to do anything?

Or do they just not give a rat's patootie about the alleged "issue of the decade"?
It is largely a state and local issue, as you know very well.

Old 06-17-2020, 11:16 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,227,625 times
Quote:

Just like the police unions protect bad cops, teacher unions protect bad teachers.

Eliminate both unions, and watch the inner cities rebound.
Was trump referring to public school education or vouchers for forprofit schools. Big difference.
I’m no supporter of the current incarnation of unions but I don’t support any of the policies of his secretary of education.
I wish it were that simple that if we got rid of unions inner cities would rebound. I’ve worked in the worst of the worst inner city schools and am certain that the problems are much more complicated

Old 06-17-2020, 11:20 AM

4,362 posts, read 4,212,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
wrong. utterly and completely wrong.

we have completely proven that more money doesnt equal better education. The lack of middle class kids in bad public schools isnt a cause for bad public schools.

thats just nuts.

the number one problem with education is the lack of options. Options are opposed by the democrat party.

the number two thing wrong with education is public schools are unable to fire bad teachers because of public sector unions. PSUs are supported by the democrat party
I'm not saying that it takes more money to provide a quality education. That is stated by the tuition pages of the private schools in the country. The AP workshop that I'm doing online this summer is hosted by a school that touts its low fees--only $23,500 per student per year. The last one I attended in person was conducted by a school that charges nearly twice that. You probably know that one of the main reasons that the tuition is so high is to provide the exclusivity that the students' parents desire and are willing to pay top dollar for.

I also didn't say that bad public schools are caused by the lack of middle class kids enrolled there. I'm sure that I indicated that schools typically perform as well as the demographic from which they draw their students. I'm making an observation, not a characterization. As such, in areas where the average home is worth over half a million dollars and there are thriving businesses, the general level of education is much higher and the concomitant tax base provides much more to work with. Contrast that with the zone in which I teach, where the homes go for around $10,000, are surrounded by many abandoned structures and businesses and the better-educated residents have fled to the suburbs.

While public sector unions are a factor in many states, here they are essentially non-existent, and the problem is more attracting teachers to jobs with low pay and poor working conditions, as the conservative-led legislature proves year after year that they are unwilling to fund the state's schools according to the adequate education law passed around two decades ago. In our state, a teacher can be fired or non-renewed for any or no reason and tenure does not exist. How do you explain the fact that the schools are bad here?

What options do you think school choice would provide in these circumstances? Where would they get a different supply of teachers? Would they pay them the same, more or less than the teachers in a public school? Would they work more, less or the same as the public school teachers? In conversations with the teachers at charter schools in the city, the students are mostly the ones who have been excluded from the regular public schools. Who would choose to put their children in a school where a significant number of their classmates have had proven issues?

Old 06-17-2020, 11:22 AM

4,362 posts, read 4,212,234 times
Quote:

Eliminate both unions, and watch the inner cities rebound.
We have no real teachers' unions in Mississippi. Why have our inner cities not rebounded?

Old 06-17-2020, 11:23 AM

68,299 posts, read 54,213,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
It is largely a state and local issue, as you know very well.

Trump said "We're fighting for school choice, which really is the civil rights of all time in this country"

If he's going to claim to be fighting for something, I'd say the public is entitled to ask HOW?

Or just more empty words from Pennsylvania Avenue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies