Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 05:06 AM

16,072 posts, read 6,843,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I am NOT a Bush fan, but he was better than Gore and Kerry. Not by much though.
Response: Agree...even after Gore won the popular vote...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2020, 05:09 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Response: Agree...even after Gore won the popular vote...
Aggregate, National Popular Vote is MEANINGLESS in a Presidential Election and for good reason.

Old 06-18-2020, 06:26 AM

4,383 posts, read 4,388,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Henry View Post
Republicans who voted for Bush but not Trump are not conservatives. They are mostly war hawks who supported the GOP because they favored higher military spending. On most other issues, they largely agree with the Democratic party agenda. Many were aupportive of Obama because he was a hawkish president who got us involved several wars. Trump campaigned against many of the wars that the hawkish Republicans supported and he also has been skeptical of our relationship with our NATO allies. Because Trump wants to reduce our global military presence, Democrats want to maintain it. Hawkish Republicans will keep voting Democrat until the GOP goes back to its hawkish ways.
How convenient that you can speak with such certainty about the beliefs of people you have never even met.

Old 06-18-2020, 06:31 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
I got a question for the right wingers who voted to re-elect Bush Jr in 2004 but probably won't vote to re-elect Trump.

Bush Jr was a terrible president but won re-election back in 2004 with approval ratings in the 40's.

How can they vote for him again but not Trump?

In my opinion, Trump is the best out of the past several presidents.

After Bush Jr's presidency ended most Republicans hated him (including me).
Bush was a terrible president- he was a RINO. I simply didn't vote, rather than vote for Bush a second time. Kerry was (and is) an absolute embarrassment.

Trump is a very good president and will be supported by the vast majority of republicans. Most conservatives are not happy at all with their senators and congressmen who are opposing Trump and supporting the Marxists.

I think that dems are really underestimating the anger felt by the majority of citizens in the nation over the democrats embracing fascist thugs, rioters, illegals, and criminals.

Trump is not a republican or a democrat and has sought to apply common sense to a nation petrified from the threat of political correctness and leftist intimidation.

It's nice to see a POTUS that will not back down and submit to traditional liberal intimidation and threats. It's about time.

Old 06-18-2020, 06:37 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
Trump is way more left wing than Bush.
Depends on your definition. They're different types of politicians. They don't compare very well.

If you look at the core conservative issues of small government and low taxes, Trump wins that comparison in a landslide. If you look at the neocon issues of starting wars and hitting the turbo button on the police state, Bush is your guy.

Old 06-18-2020, 06:41 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
I got a question for the right wingers who voted to re-elect Bush Jr in 2004 but probably won't vote to re-elect Trump.

Bush Jr was a terrible president but won re-election back in 2004 with approval ratings in the 40's.

How can they vote for him again but not Trump?

In my opinion, Trump is the best out of the past several presidents.

After Bush Jr's presidency ended most Republicans hated him (including me).

Have you quit beating your wife yet? Yes or no!

You pose a FALSE premise, then expect people to respond. Sorry, won't play your silly obviously biased game.

Old 06-18-2020, 03:04 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,556,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Depends on your definition. They're different types of politicians. They don't compare very well.

If you look at the core conservative issues of small government and low taxes, Trump wins that comparison in a landslide. If you look at the neocon issues of starting wars and hitting the turbo button on the police state, Bush is your guy.
taxes were raised under trump, thanks to eliminating deductions

Old 06-18-2020, 03:36 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,400,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
taxes were raised under trump, thanks to eliminating deductions
Only on the blue states (which red state voters like). Also, only for people in the donut hole- if you make under a certain amount, your taxes went down, if you rent, your taxes went down, and if you make over a million, your taxes went down. It's just those in the sweet spot who make a lot of money but not a ton of money.

Remember- the rates went down too. I'm in NY and pay $20k/yr real estate taxes and still, my federal tax bill all-in was lower than under Obama, even with the capped SALT deduction.

Why should the federal government subsidize heavy spending states and real estate ownership? Seems more fair to treat renters and owners the same when it comes to taxes.

Old 06-18-2020, 03:39 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,628,539 times
I certainly had my differences with Bush. The Patriot Act just made me cringe. Still does. I actually looked closer at Obama because he said he wanted to get rid of it. But I couldn't support the Dem leftist agenda and then Obama expanded it when he was elected.

Just a tactic to maybe sway more moderate independents I think. I had doubts with Trump going in. But what hes done and has tried to do but has been brick walled by the Democrats a d all their Russia and impeachment bilge has swayed me.

Anyone that radical leftists hate this much is OK by me. I actually am a moderate. But I'm firmly right on some issues I comment here so hath been labeled a "right winger." Issues I have more left notions with I dont comment on. Due to volatility and personal feelings.

Old 06-18-2020, 03:54 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,690,792 times
I am generally conservative but dislike Trump, as he's arrogant, pretty unlikable as a person, has a tendency to lie and lacks leadership qualities. Bush screwed up but he at least tried to carry himself with dignity and act like a president. Trump doesn't even try and intention picks fights with other politicians at every turn. It feels like a trash reality show rather than a civic leader trying to lead a country.

Long-term, I think it is damaging for the Republican Party and a mistake to have gone with Trump. I want a conservative leader as the Republican nominee but one who carries himself with dignity & grace, displays leadership when needed and acts like a civic leader who truly wants to make the best decisions for our country rather than play political games and **** people off for fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies