Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 07:00 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,133,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanonka View Post
When I was working for the govt, they had an employee taken in for, let's say it politely, exactly this reason ("underrepresented groups"). He was breaking everything he touched. After few months we openly asked him: "please, don't touch anything. You can play the games, surf the net or just plain don't show up at work - just don't do anything." He followed our "strong advice", and performance of our division went up

Oh, and yes, his salary was ~$110K at a time.
And, of course, as govt employee he will have early retirement and very good pension.
Sorry, this doesn't sound believable..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2020, 07:06 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Why is fighting against anti-white racism something that white supremacists do? Are you saying that blacks who fight against anti-black racism are bigoted, hateful blacks?

What’s wrong with fighting for a world where the best-qualified people get the job, regardless of race, and where “ties” go to the black? You think it’s right for a promotion to go to a high school graduate on the job six months when the white person who trained her, and with a Master’s degree, was passed over?

(The above really happened. The white person sued, and won. She not only got the promotion, but the back pay for the more than a year until her case was heard. The black person was demoted back to the job she was qualified for and quit in a huff.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
Sucks when the tables are turned huh?
What are you talking about? Wherever I’ve worked, black people always had the advantage. (But I always worked in a very liberal area, so it was no surprise.) But in the case I’d described above, it was SO egregious - a black HS graduate getting promoted over the white person who trained her - that she fought the favoritism toward the black woman, and won.

Old 06-18-2020, 07:09 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanonka View Post
When I was working for the govt, they had an employee taken in for, let's say it politely, exactly this reason ("underrepresented groups"). He was breaking everything he touched. After few months we openly asked him: "please, don't touch anything. You can play the games, surf the net or just plain don't show up at work - just don't do anything." He followed our "strong advice", and performance of our division went up

Oh, and yes, his salary was ~$110K at a time.
And, of course, as govt employee he will have early retirement and very good pension.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Sorry, this doesn't sound believable..
Oh, it’s believable. Happens in the federal government all the time. We had a young woman on the staff who could do nothing right, so I remember my boss gave her a blank sheet of paper and told her to number to 1000 - just to keep her busy. LOTS of incompetence in the government, and impossible to fire especially if a minority.

Old 06-18-2020, 07:23 PM

1,503 posts, read 607,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Oh, it’s believable. Happens in the federal government all the time. We had a young woman on the staff who could do nothing right, so I remember my boss gave her a blank sheet of paper and told her to number to 1000 - just to keep her busy. LOTS of incompetence in the government, and impossible to fire especially if a minority.
Exactly
I worked for feds as a subcontractor, and those 10 years were the easiest in my life. Compared to govt employees even the stupidest contractor looked like a genius

And no, I have no idea what you can do to be fired when you are a govt employee. Even shooting your boss would still probably keep you employed ... after your jail time

Old 06-18-2020, 07:23 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,786,454 times
Be aware of terms such as minorities, underrepresented groups, etc. They sound so inclusive, don't they? In reality they only mean one group.

Old 06-18-2020, 07:24 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Be aware of terms such as minorities, underrepresented groups, etc. They sound so inclusive, don't they? In reality they only mean one group.
correct, e.g. Asians need not apply

Old 06-18-2020, 07:30 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,786,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
correct, e.g. Asians need not apply
Probably Mexicans, native Americans, etc. too, anyone not belonging to the group that's spreading their message through violence and hate.

Old 06-18-2020, 08:07 PM

43,106 posts, read 18,269,535 times
If I were Black I'd be insulted for being chosen for skin color over qualifications.
Comes across as if Blacks can't cut it so they need a free pass.

Old 06-18-2020, 08:22 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,115,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
i'm involved in the hiring process in a diverse area of the country for engineering positions.
we hire the best candidate for the job, regardless of background.

we did not have many candidates of black or hispanic background, roughly 2% if I had to guess. most of them were pretty underwhelming. we hired 1 in the 5+ years I've been here. in our broader engineering team including developers, administrators, operations, support, etc. of 500, I think there are 10 hispanic and 2 blacks (and one of them is from africa, the other is half white).

back in college in the early 2000s (in a less diverse area), there were even fewer blacks/hispanics in engineering. in fact, I don't remember seeing any at all.
Why do you think black and hispanic candidates are underwhelming? I'm not a PC person so you don't have to be PC about this. Just say what you think.

I suspect that there is a cultural element to it. I've been told that the black american subculture doesn't really value STEM the way white and asian american subcultures do. I got a masters in engineering and became a PE precisely because my family groomed me to be one. Black families, on the other hand, tend to groom their kids to either become athletes or go into the humanities. You think this is why?

Old 06-18-2020, 08:32 PM

10,032 posts, read 9,509,010 times
Underrepresented groups? Okay, they can start hiring members from the Awá tribe from the Amazon. Many will probably have to work remote since a third of the group have no contact with the outside world. Get cracking Google.

Last edited by VLWH; 06-18-2020 at 09:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies